close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Killer Glock Grip Stippling

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by chp5, Jun 10, 2003.

1. chp5

chp5

I recently had John Nagel (a/k/a Mad Scientist) do a grip stipple job on my G35. The pics don't do the job justice (my digital camera doesn't do close ups well), but it's an excellent, well thought-out job.

2. chp5

chp5

3. Blah!

Blah! Guest

looks cool. even left the glock logo on their. curious whats something like that cost?

4. chp5

chp5

It cost $50. It takes him 2-3 hours to do the job becasue he puts about 10,000 little dimples on the grip.

5. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Mad Scientist,

Is the gun still legal for IDPA/SSP?

6. pistolero6869

pistolero6869

Very nice pro looking job bet it handles sweet I love my G-35 great Glock! shoot safe GFM

7. chp5

chp5

Duck of Death,

I shoot the G35 in Limited Division of IPSC and it's still legal. It would also be legal in Limited 10, but not Production division because external modifications are prohibited in Production.

Don't know about IDPA - that's a good question. I shoot my G34 in SSP in IDPA, although I pretty much just shoot IPSC now.

8. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

What's the purpose of such a modification?

9. macgregor45

macgregor45 who???

Makes the gun not slip around as much, but I suspect you already knew that.

10. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

macgregor: I can't stand the feel of bare plastic; ergo, I don't care to shoot Agripless Glocks. I thought the stippling might just be an aesthetic modification.

11. macgregor45

macgregor45 who???

Ah, I see said the blind man.

I have seen one glock that had nearly the entire frame stippled like that, now THAT was aesthetic!

12. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

I always get comments about my Agrip-ped glocks. One was "Look, his Glock is growing fur!" this past weekend at Roseburg GSSF. I won't use anything else now that I've gone Agrip. I used to like the Hogue Handalls.

13. chp5

chp5

I like Agrip as well. That's what was on my G35 before I had the stippling job.

I shot about 500 rounds through the G35 yesterday and the grip work gave me a great purchase on the gun, even with sweaty hands.

Even though Agrip is as thin as any Glock grip cover, I can tell that the grip feels thinner without the Agrip and with the stippling. If you have small hands or don't like Agrip, this is the way to go.

14. Mellostomp

Mellostomp

Personally I love the A-Grips. Haven't tried the Stippling yet. So can't say one way or the other. But still love the A-grip.

:)

15. Adam77

Adam77

how did he do that? was that with a sodering iron?

16. chp5

chp5

Adam77,

Yes he uses a sodering iron and it takes him HOURS.

Several people have seen the grip job and asked how I got that "mesh" to stick on the gun.

I shot it in two matches last weekend where it was sprinkling and muggy. My hands were slick and sweaty, but the grip job made it a non-issue.

17. Adam77

Adam77

Well, I'm going to have to give it a try. I've already done a significant grip mod. by taking off the finger grooves and back hump. I've got nothing but time, so I'm going to go get a soldering iron this week and give it a shot. I figure, if I mess up, I'll just cover it with an Agrip. Otherwise, I really want to give it a honest effort. So far everything I've done to it has worked to my satisfaction. I hope you don't mind, but I'll be using your grip as a guide/template. I love the craftmanship.

18. mad scientist

mad scientist

Adam,
    Thanks for the complement The grip job has evolved over the
    past two years into what you see now.I started out tring to get the guns smaller for my kids. then had to re finish them some way.
    a few words of advise . keep your iron hot and clean, dont linger or you will burn thru, and start top down.be verry patient and put it down when your eyes blurr
    Johnnie

19. Adam77

Adam77

Thanks a bunch. What did you use to refinish. I thought about using brownells aluma-hyde, but do you have a better suggestion? I really appreciate your advice. Oh yeah, making my glock grip smaller has greatly helped my youngest son with trigger reach. He's young but he loves to shoot with me and his mom everytime.

20. mad scientist

mad scientist

Adam,
    The stipilling was the solution for refinising after
    the the grip reductions in the past. If you have a grinder mounted buffer you can use some white compound and start polishing the plastic until it starts to melt then pull away and the finish is almost factory with a little practice you will get the feel.
    This what I do in areas that i want to stay slick like under the triger gaurd.
    Have fun with your stipiling project and keep us posted.
    Johnnie