Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
April first the Fed's made the attachment of a motor cut off or "kill Switch" for any boat 26 feet and under mandatory. Since most motors I've seen made in the last 15 years already have them, no cost factor unless you get caught with the switch not attached to you if your operating the boat. Then it's $250.00. I thought it was State by State, but no, Federal.

·
Registered
13,072 Posts
Are you talking about something like a dead man switch that kills the engine if you get drunk and fall out of the drivers seat?

Reactions: CAcop

·
Values. Can't be bought.
12,289 Posts
Kill switch. Ridiculous.

However, I did similar to the below at idle speed when I was talking to my friend on his jet ski and his wake hit me. They are a lot more stable at speed. Lessen learned. If I had goosed throttle at first inkling, no problem.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
So that’s why my motor dies every time I get drunk and fall out.

Reactions: mj9mm

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Are you talking about something like a dead man switch that kills the engine if you get drunk and fall out of the drivers seat?
It’s not just drunk. Rough water conditions can cause you to lose control of the vessel or be ejected. That said, this is just more nanny-state horse **** we don’t need.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Kill switch. Ridiculous.

View attachment 923287

However, I did similar to the below at idle speed when I was talking to my friend on his jet ski and his wake hit me. They are a lot more stable at speed. Lessen learned. If I had goosed throttle at first inkling, no problem.

View attachment 923288
Jet Skis, prior to any kill switches, would fo into a tight turn if the handlebars were let go of. That made it so it would come back around to you when you fell off. Now you have to swim over to the stupid thing.

·
Native Mainiac
22,670 Posts
My boat has one. I never use it as 99% of the time I'm trolling at right around 2 MPH and sitting down. Engine goes into neutral if I get lucky enough to have net a fish.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
How come boats do not have seat belts?

·
Moved on...
10,161 Posts
Darn! Thought this was a thread about an awesome X-Files episode....

·
Registered
11,574 Posts
so this is why my brother didn't want dad's boat.... dad died this past summer and no one wanted his boat s i took it. just paid the registration....

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Because if your boat flips over, you could be trapped underwater. Hitting the water at high speed with a boat on top of you would be a seriously bad day. Imagine a role-over crash in a convertible.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
12,289 Posts
This guy takes his martinis shaken, not stirred.

ETA, demerits for making jump without helmet and safety goggles. And after stopping boat, immediately removes PFD.

Reactions: larry_minn

·
Values. Can't be bought.
12,289 Posts
2.7 g's, could holding on with 2 hands be enough? He got in that driver's seat faster than Joe B on a tween with long hair.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Because if your boat flips over, you could be trapped underwater. Hitting the water at high speed with a boat on top of you would be a seriously bad day. Imagine a role-over crash in a convertible.
Isn't it always best to stay in your vehicle? Note vehicle means any and all self propelled well vehicle.
Maybe boaters need to wear helmets as well as life vests?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts