close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kids should not have access to guns?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Short Cut, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

I've read more than a few documented cases of kids around 11 or younger, one I remember for sure was 7 years old, that have saved their own and family members lives by having access to a gun. So let's not go too far in dictating or mandating what others should do because everyone's situation is different.

Everyone's kids are different. Most kids around here, boys and girls have been taught to shoot at fairly young ages. This gives the parent time to observe how safe the kid is with firearms.

Consider folks in the country, far from LE, would you rather leave your child home alone with the combo to the safe or not? My answer is it depends and I don't want y'all making that call for me, alright?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

My daughters will have access to our guns if and when I feel they are ready. I agree with your statement that everyone's case is unique and only parents are qualified to make those decisions.

3. Averageman

Averageman

I don't remember when I first started shooting.
    I did begin shooting NRA small bore competition in 7th grade. Before that it was air rifles and bird hunting with a shotgun.
    I can be a lifelong hobby and a profession if you are lucky like I have been.

4. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I do.

In the hills of West Verginny ... :supergrin:

5. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Short Cut, I agree with you.

I had open access to firearms my entire childhood. But I was taught very early what they could do and always respected them.

6. Short Cut

I found a good way to show kids the power of firearms that paper targets can't and that is using pumpkins. After Halloween you can get all the pumpkins you want for free or close to it and they make great targets that demonstrate pretty clearly the power of firearms.

7. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I used the demo of shooting holes in pennies. Shows the accuracy of the weapon, and the power to poke through 'hard' metal ... :supergrin:

8. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

The issue of children and firearms can be tricky. I also grew up with free access to firearms and ammo. I was taught to be responsible.

My older kids were very good handling firearms too.

My younger kids are not as aware of the dangers. They are more into fantasy games and do not seem to grasp life and death concepts as well. I have not changed my teaching, but the younger kids are exposed to mixed messages. Additionally, teaching self reliance and responsibility involves forcing children to "unplug" their brains from social media, television and the web in general.

I agree, we all have the right to raise our kids. Today, that involves pushing the background noise and indoctrination further out.

9. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

That is very well said.

So good I'm going to quote this in a thread in Carry Issues: How secure are your firearms?.

10. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I got a pump action pellet gun when I was about 6 or 7 years old. I lost my gun privileges only once (for a month), from which I fully learned the lessons of gun safety. I'm sure my father kept a close eye on me after that for a while, until he was satisfied I could be trusted.

11. Short Cut

Sounds like your Dad had a good plan.

12. Jonesee

Jonesee

I had my own shotgun and was hunting by myself on the farm when I was 9 years old.

My guess is I started shooting when I was 5-6 years old.

It was a different age back then though. When I was in high school everyone had a gun rack in their truck window and had a rifle or shotgun in it. (Yes, on school property.) Everyone carried a pocket knife and a large portion of us had skoal in our back pocket. (yes even in high school.)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  13. cesaros

cesaros

Children should not have access to non-state-approved books either. Guns and books lead to terrorism and mass shootings.

My first gun was a pump BB-gun...I lost my privillages quickly because I "accidently" shot a construction worker in the leg :whistling:

In my defense, he was really hairy and looked like a bear. I was just trying to protect my home.

14. RedTop

RedTop

My experience was similar too... A can of beer would get you into more trouble than a firearm or knife. Heck, the Vice Principal once bummed a dip from me.

15. RedTop

RedTop

I truly hope you are trying to be funny. If so, work on it.

16. NEVRL8T

NEVRL8T

My kids are 12 and 17. They both know how to handle firearms very well. My 12 year old has killed three deer in the last two years and to him, guns are no big deal, they are a part of life. Within the last two weeks, he has learned to shoot the G21 SF I own.

17. cesaros

cesaros

which part?

Maybe the warrior of the keyboard should lighten up a bit.

18. Jonesee

Jonesee

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

There wasn't a rule anywhere about having a a gun in your truck or pocket knife in your pocket.

19. RedTop

RedTop

Your whole post. That part!

20. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

I did as a kid, somebody woulda broken in I knew where "dads 45" was and how to use it. Ill never have kids and damn sure wont tell anybody what their kids should be able to do