close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kids and Chores

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock!9, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Glock!9

Glock!9

This has been floating around Facebook...Many people calling it abuse. Maybe this is why we have so many adults that act like children and need the .gov to take care of them. :rofl:

Attached Files:

2. Flattop67

Flattop67

While I certainly agree with children doing chores, this does seem to be quite a bit. My kids have to maintain their rooms and bathroom, set table, do dishes , empty trash and mow the yard. Getting this accomplished without hair pulling and hollering is a chore in itself. I couldn't imagine trying to get that list accomplished.

3. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Now you ARE giving them stress and anxiety.

You wicked, mean parents!

Like, shoveling the barn and delivering newspapers before the sun came up used to be normal.?!?

If you're too fat to get the game-controller from the coffee table, you should probably just slowly fade away.

(Or, take my taxes for your disability.)

4. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Pretty sure that was just a list of age appropriate chores - hence the title of the chart. Not a list of all the chores the kids should be doing.

Looks about right to me.

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Notice the fine print below. Of course "The Happy Housewife" would create such a list. This would allow them to do less around the house and spend more money, or even worse, find something on the side.

6. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Looks about right to me!

7. itstime

itstime

I think it's good.

8. railfancwb

railfancwb

My two had chores - some just because, others for spending money. A list had chores and payments they could earn, so a lot of housework got done if they wanted some big ticket item.

They were both absolutely delighted to get a "real" job outside the house for "real" money, but no gladder than I was for them. The outside jobs taught responsibility which could not be taught as well by Mom and Dad.

They learned a job well done carries its own reward of self satisfaction beyond any money.

And they continue to benefit from the work ethic they learned while growing up.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. sierrafast

sierrafast Coleccionista

Looks about right to me. They want weekend money, they need to earn it. Otherwise, they will grow up with a sense of entitlement believing the .gov should take care them.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

When I was a kid I got a weekly allowance provided my chores was done and I didn't get in trouble in school I did't get it more weeks than I did. :rofl:

11. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Nothing more than what I was expected to do as a kid. These kids are too damn coddled these days...

12. eccho

eccho

lol it says "all previous chores" under each new category.

The only parent I've ever known to be that strict about chores, was a total, well she seriously needs a prescription for chill pills.

And not because of the chores, I mean for example if her 6th grade son was more than 3 minutes later than the time it took for him to walk home from school, he'd be grounded for 2 weeks.

And the screaming. All the time. Screaming. Not like child abuse emotional terrorism screaming, but like "I don't have a voice below 150 decibels" screaming.

I'm all for discipline but damn, my condolences for those with parents with OCD. :whistling:

13. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Growing up my parents switched paying my allowance yearly. My mom would have about 10 chores to compleat for my 5$ weekly payment. However my dad would have a list of about 50 chores with a monetary amount next to each.
    Ex;
    Mow lawn: 3$
    rake rocks: 2$
    mop kitchen floor: 1$
    Set table : 25c
    Fold laundry: 1$
    Ect....

I could do as many chores as I wanted up to 20$ a week. And a min of 5$ with a few mandatory. Needles to say, I loved my dads chores list.

14. JimmyRayBob

JimmyRayBob

As my dad used to say.... "This is why we had kids". ( he was mostly joking).

15. Kona2004

Kona2004

I have a 4 1/2 year old that does many of those and actually enjoys doing them. I'll never forget last Christmas time when my sister-in-law was amazed when she found out he does laundry. She didn't believe it at first but then he started talking about the different settings and water temperature. The only thing he can't do it put in the detergent as it's too high. She has three kids, one in college, one in high school, and another in junior high and none have ever done a single load of laundry.

16. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Most of those seem more like maid service than chores to me. Both of my kids started to make simple meals at 6, a couple weeks ago dinner was salmon with honey wasbi sauce, but they wanted to it wasn't a chore. I started teaching them knife skills with a plastic lettuce knife and now (10 and 12) working on their own knife sets. I do have to keep an eye on my son though, he gets a bit too fast for my comfort.

17. okie

okie GT Mayor

My Pop used to say that also, sept he wasn't joking:alex:

18. Sneegrl

Sneegrl .....

I think it is a reasonable list. My little guy is just a couple months in of being two, so I wouldn't say he does "chores" yet. But he does help to pick up his toys at the end of the day, and he does put his clothes into the hamper. If he spills something, he will run to get a towel to help clean it up.

He also likes to push the start button on our roomba :supergrin:

It's a little shocking to me that people would consider this list abuse or over-the-top.

19. Cmacc

Cmacc

I assume the second page with the list for kids ages 15-35 was lost in the cyberfog during upload. :rofl:

20. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Perfectly reasonable list - though I think some of you are failing at comprehension. The list isn't a list of things to do in a day, it's a list of things kinds *can* do in those age ranges.

I had chores to do during the day when I was little, and my two year old has things he is expected to do (pick up toys, throw away garbage, etc).

When I was 10 my dad cut my allowance off - from that day on I had to work. So, I started cutting lawns for $20 (big multi-acre country lawns, not tiny suburban lawns). In a good weekend I could make up to $300. I wish I could rake up that much weekend scratch now-a-days!