Kidney stones. Who's had 'em?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Joshhtn, Aug 22, 2019.

1. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I would watch that.

pgg00 and Joshhtn like this.
  2. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

@Joshhtn if you’re still having uncontrolled or intolerable pain, ask them for dilaudid. It will kick your ass, therefore you must take it EXACTLY as prescribed. But your pain will be greatly reduced.

If I get someone with a known kidney stone history and they are presenting with the same symptoms, I give them 2mg Dilaudid IV and 4mg Zofran IV. It damn near makes them comatose.

SRS, Joshhtn and G30SF/F-250 like this.

3. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

Morphine, Dilaidid and something else I got DID NOTHING for my kidney stone, nor when I went to the ER when my back went out (full back spasms, bulged disc, sciatic hip and sacroiliac joints).

4. nerr

nerr

Had a couple years ago, passed them. But one in particular doubled me over for a day and had me puking most of that time. If I recall, nothing really helped, though I did get some sleep curling up in a recliner (may just have been placebo effect). Have not had any for years: only difference is I drink lots of plain water and ration my beloved coffee.

As has been said, drink lots of water and remember that caffeine will drain watergives you, so be sure to drink lots of plain water.

Joshhtn likes this.
  5. THE_PUNISHER

THE_PUNISHER

Sodium bicarbonate in your water will help dissolve them and keep you from getting more.

Joshhtn likes this.
  6. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I saw that in one of those 'something or another verses Godzilla'. Pretty sure Godzilla lost that battle.

7. FastEddieFL

FastEddieFL

My urologist calls me his Stonemaker. I think I’ve paid for his new fishing boat. A lot of it is heredity, but can be exacerbated by certain foods. Nuts, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli are some of the worst offenders. I lost count how many stents I’ve gad inserted. I’ve been taking a supplement of potassium/magnesium citrate, supposed to help the kidneys. Since taking it I’ve had two small ones that gave passed in a couple of days. My last surgery in 2017 blasted two big ones, 13mm and 20mm. I now drink tons of water to keep flushing the kidneys!!

cbetts1 likes this.
  8. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

cbetts1 and harold63 like this.
  9. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

I had 2 last summer. Hadn't been bothered by them till last sunday. Passed another 1. I don't wish that pain even on a liberal.

Joshhtn likes this.
  10. OGW

OGW SAF

Uric acid stones, not calcium oxalate stones. Sodium is your enemy if you make the latter (the most common stone).

Joshhtn likes this.
  11. mrdann

mrdann

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.........yep.

About 6 months ago, my story started the same as yours. Enroute to breakfast, I felt a "twinge" that rapidly turned into a "kicked in the balls feeling." got to breakfast, ordered, went to bathroom. Felt like gas, couldn't go, side hurt. At that point, I was 100% sure it was appendicitis. Sat down, food was delivered, wife and I walked out, leaving the kids for my mom to come pick up.

ER doc did scan, told me it was a kidney stone, and I "THOUGHT" he said "give it 24 to 48 hours". After 4 days curled up in a fetal position and eating my hydrocodones like they were skittles, I read the papers and realized it said "see a urologist WITHIN 24 to 48 hours."

I wound up missing 3 weeks of works and opted for "removal" as soon as possible. I didn't have any nausea initially, but spontaneously threw up 3 times over the next week. The day of surgery, I had nausea, vomiting, dry heaves, a fever, and a migraine. I had consumed ALL my pain meds to no avail. They finally got me in, stabilized, and removed the stone with a "scope".

I peed bloody fire for 2 days and my pee got less painful and turned from red to pink to orange yellow and finally clear over the next week.

They placed a stint, which was removed in the office a week after surgery. THAT was interesting.

I drank lots of water with lemon juice, sweetened if you want, I also drank pomegranate juice, BUT NOT CRANBERRY.

Peeing hurts, but its imperative that you do....A LOT.

Good luck.

Joshhtn likes this.
  12. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

When I worked in the prison system, my stress level and blood pressure were off the scale! Dr. gave me a scrip for Benicar to get the BP down. The problem was that the Benicar had Diuretic in it and it started forming kidney stones one after another. Yes, they hurt like Hxll!

Pain pills don't do crap for a kidney stone pain. I got desperate and hooked up one of my "Tens" units. One electrode was near my right kidney and the other was low on my belly. (I just guessed where to place them). I got nearly instant relief and was able to drop off to sleep very quickly.

Those TENS units are wonderful and very inexpensive! I use them when arthritis comes calling. The one that I used to zap the kidney stone cost $28 online.

I quit taking the Benicar and the stones disappeared. Never had another one ……… ten years later!

Looking back, the CORRECT medical advice was to reduce the stress, NOT to take drugs!

Flash

cbetts1 likes this.
  13. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

I've had the surgery to remove the stones three times..
    Think of a drain snake being run up threw you're junk & hamburger coming out afterwards.. Yeowch!!
    I have some stones right now & vowed I'd never go thru that ordeal again so I'm living in pain 24/7, makes it almost impossible to carry IWB, Just hurts too darn bad.
    Scored a OWB for my G26..
    I've tried all kinds of remedies like the lemon juice & even drinking vinegar..
    I won't even go to the doctor for them anymore..
    If it get too bad I'll just go to the urologist & tell them I need to see someone today..
    I haven't taken any pain pills for them either..
    I'm not saying I'm tough just tired of being wasted from the hydrocodone..
    Beer is also a remedy as it makes you pee a lot..
    I've passed a stone the size of a dime before, not a .177 like some folks.. I guess because I've had diabetes for 40+ years just makes it worse..
    I feel for you brother, I really do..
    An appendix holster is in order but once the stones move thru the utterer to you're bladder you'll have pain behind you're junk till it passes..
    Stop drinking tap water or anything with that in it.

Joshhtn likes this.
  14. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

I've had one knock on wood.
    Woke up about 3am screaming in pain I seriously thought some one had stabbed me with sword it was no **** that bad..
    I some how managed to piss it out in straight up agony. Seriously consider waking the wife and telling her to call the wambulance. But sitting in the chair after I had pissed took about 30min the mind numbing pain wint away.

Joshhtn likes this.
  15. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

They said it is like giving birth. Congrats on your first born!

Glock 17L and Joshhtn like this.
  16. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

I've heard from others that its as bad as child birth, Even from an ex co worker who has had both..
    I think that's crazy as I've seen the child birth three times & trust me they aren't that bad but they do give the worst pain I've ever felt in my life..

Joshhtn likes this.
  17. EXSQUID

EXSQUID

Took my 9 days to pass this stone which they said was 5mm and about the limit for passing. The pain meds they gave me sucked and I had never had one last that long to pass. I wouldn’t wish a kidney stone on anyone but when it passes it is instant relief.

Attached Files:

cbetts1 and Joshhtn like this.
  18. WT

WT Millennium Member

Not enough beer in your diet.

As I said in another thread, my doctor recommends GERMAN beer to flush out the kidneys. Stay away from the American poison.

Joshhtn and cbetts1 like this.
  19. cbetts1

cbetts1

There are some tough mothers on here. I had a 3mm stuck in my ureter. The pain would come and go. When it hit hard, it was like a bayonet to the back with a twisting motion. When the pain hit it would make me instantly weak and nauseous. It was flipping on a switch. The pain pills do nothing. The only relief was Flomax. It is usually used for prostate problems but they said it relaxes the walls of the ureter allowing the stone to pass. I can't imagine having that 5mm stone or that jagged one.

20. cbetts1

cbetts1

My father started getting stones once he was older. I wonder if it had to do with his blood pressure meds. I will have him look into it. I got them much younger with no meds.

Joshhtn likes this.