Kidney stones. Who's had 'em?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Joshhtn, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Stepping down to the gin palace

I'm just saying that I have drank a lot of beer and whiskey in all my adult years, and I have never had a kidney stone. Empirical proof, for sure!! :cheers:

2. pspez

pspez

I had one last year and it was the most painful thing I've ever gone through. It took 63 years to get one and I hope I don't get one for another 63.

Joshhtn likes this.

3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

That's all the proof I need!!

:cheers:

G30SF/F-250, Ramjet38 and Stevekozak like this.
  4. The Father

The Father

Nothing like that ice pick sensation in your lower back
    I remember writhing around on the floor of ER with one.
    Even the ER of full of spun out tweekers felt sorry for me

Joshhtn likes this.
  5. irish_ironsight

irish_ironsight

Oh Jesus H Christ on a stick.....

Please not again, I have them too many times, if you can get lithotripsy take it. I have done it twice now, no more laying in the floor in pools of blood and pee crying like a baby

deputy tom and Joshhtn like this.
  6. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

[​IMG]

G30SF/F-250 and Collo Rosso like this.
  7. Finestkind

Finestkind

Had one and they had to go get it. Hurt like the dickens. After about 48 hours after it being pulled out all was better.

Finestkind

Joshhtn likes this.
  8. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

So you're kind of a sissy, too...I get it. ;)

G30SF/F-250, pgg00 and Joshhtn like this.
  9. morgoth

morgoth

I had one eighteen months ago.
    I didn't drink a lot of water but I drank a lot of Beer and I thought that Beer was mostly water.
    I know i go to the toilet plenty when I drink a dozen Beers.
    I was in agony 7 days in, I took that many Endone pain killers that i do not remember passing the stone at all.
    Lucky I survived I guess.

cbetts1 and Joshhtn like this.
  10. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

You can admit you wet the bed. We won't judge. :oops:

11. CajunBass

CajunBass

I've had them a couple of times, but it's been years ago now. Had Lithotripsy both times, and broke them up. I never did catch a stone, but after the second time, no more trouble.

Joshhtn likes this.
  12. morgoth

morgoth

Not at all.
    :eek:

13. Gokyo

Gokyo

They really are terrible. The only pain med that worked for me was hydromorphone.

Two observations.
    1. Everyday I took opioids I felt terrible for two days after I stopped taking them.

If I take pain meds for 4 days for the next week I will feel terrible.

2. Our mind keeps thinking if you change position the pain will be reduced. Turns out that if your standing and you hurt lying down dies not help. Laying on your back and it hurts your think turn over will help. Nope. No matter the position you will hurt no new position will help.

Bonus observation.

Kidney stones actually lead to my out of control weight gain.

Over a five year period I had 4 kidney stones. I got to the point that I lived in constant fear of the next episode. Every time I felt the flight Ext abdominal pain I would nearly panic. If I felt a slight hunger pain I would immediately eat some thing to see if the pain would go away. The I just made sure I ate enough that I never had hunger pains.

Joshhtn likes this.
  14. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

Welcome man! You would be surprised how hydrated you need to be especially if being outside or doing something.. I sometimes take in some low sugar Gatorade if I am doing yard work or just being outside due to work. Just don't drink too much water....

Joshhtn likes this.
  15. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I had the same surgery back in 2015 to clear my right kidney. Fortunately for me, upon talking with my urologist a week ago my kidneys are still GTG.

Best of luck Josh, I know your pain well. Your stone is most likely a calcium stone. Keep pounding water to help flush it out.

Are you an iced tea drinker?

Joshhtn likes this.
  16. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

On a little more serious note, it's hard to get enough water working outside in the south. Humid all day and summer heat 9 months of year. I've had days where I toted what felt like a drum of water in my stomach for the whole say and never piss once. Body is sweating it out before it even gets to the filter. I drink 2 or 3 light beers, in the evening, after days like that just so I know I'll get some kind of kidney flush. Being a Christian, I wasn't afraid to beg God to just let me die when I passed one back in 2016, and it was a small one. The pain was terrible. God says He won't give us more than we can handle, but He can sure push the limit, at times.

Joshhtn likes this.
  17. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

Been there, done that. I feel your pain. I have had several stones but thankfully none in the last several years. I have been put to sleep twice because they were too big to pass. I also had a urethral stent installed both times when I woke up. Those stents are painful.

I try to eat food that is low in oxalates and drink plenty of liquids. My go to drink is green tea with citrus. My urologist tells me that the green tea is a good choice. It must be working since I have been stone free for several years now.

Joshhtn likes this.
  18. OGW

OGW SAF

I had a 9 mm stone removed last Dec. I knew I'd been carrying one for years, never a problem with it. It was 3mm when first discovered on a back x-ray. One morning (Oct. 18, to be exact), I woke at 0400 feeling what I thought was horrible lower abdominal gas pain. Wife hauled my sorry old ass to the ER, got some dilaudid in my veins and a CT scan and sure enough, it was blocking the kidney's outlet to the bladder. Up to the OR where my urologist was already doing surgeries that morning. He inserted a stent (out for that, thankfully) and sent me home.

I had to carry that stent for three weeks until I could get a surgery date. I could have had it done in a week, but I'm old so had to get a cardiac clearance from my PCP first. I got the laser up the pipe (out cold for that again) and they flushed all the pieces out. Stent back in for five days due to the ureter (pipe from the kidney to the bladder) being inflamed from all the "work."
    I pulled the stent out after five days and felt like a million bucks and have ever since. The laser up the johnson surgery is nothing. Hurts a little to pee afterward for a day, not a big deal at all.

The stent itself is fairly uncomfortable, felt like crap the entire time it was in--no pain, just general feeling like schitt and ___always___ feeling the urge to pee. When you do pee, there's kidney pain to start it off, very unpleasant. Turns out the damn thing is a foot long rubber-like perforated hose and 90% of it is up in your kidney. My friends thought I was crazy for opting to pull it out myself but had the doctor done it, he'd have used a cystoscope to go up and get it and they don't give you anything for that, wide awake and sober. I've had two cystoscopies and don't want another, period.

I never drank enough liquids, either, felt like I was a camel and could go without water easily.
    I now drink 3.5 liters of lemon and lime water daily, along with my usual coffee, milk, orange juice, beer and scotch. I'll take the inconvenience of peeing all the time over another stone any day! Along with that I've cut out potatoes, beets, parsnips, spinach, figs, chocolate, all the salt possible, and a few other things. I've never consumed much sugar or sweets, so no problem there. My stone was the common calcium oxalate variety, hence the limiting of high oxalate foods (all of which I LOVE). I squeeze a bag or two of lemons and limes a week for my lemon/lime water.

I had one x-ray five months after the stone came out, still clear, going to have another soon, fingers crossed.

Sorry about the short book, hopefully it'll help someone out.

Good luck to Josh and whoever else has to deal with the damn things.

Jonesee, G30SF/F-250 and Joshhtn like this.
  19. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Dude, I don't care if it's the size of a bacteria. They are putting me out if I ever have to pass another one. Sissy once...sissy for life. Not going through that again.

20. El Pistolero

El Pistolero

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    I had a big “stag horn” kidney stone in 1982 and had it surgically removed through an incision made in my left flank. The surgeon called it “the shark bite”. It was a calcium oxylate-stone.

Last July I had three, 8mm, ovoid shaped calcium-oxylate stones that had grown on the wall of my bladder. The surgeon removed them by inserting a flexible camera/laser/vacuum tool through my penis and cut them up with a laser. He suctioned out the broken up particles and I passed the residual sand-like particles the next morning.

My urologist recommended that I increase my fluid intake and follow a low-oxylate diet. I now drink plenty of water including 12 ounces of green tea with lemon juice daily.
    My prayers and best wishes for those who have to deal with kidney or bladder stones.
    “Most kidney stones contain calcium, and the most common stone type is calciumoxalate. Chinese researchers found that green tea extract bonds to calcium oxalate and makes the resulting crystals a different shape, which makes them less likely to clump together and form large kidney stones.”

https://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/news/20091120/green-tea-may-prevent-kidney-stones

deputy tom and Joshhtn like this.