close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kidney health?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by hotlunch, May 15, 2007.

1. hotlunch

hotlunch

Anyone take supplements for their kidneys? Not sure what's good as there seems to be alot of misinformation about stuff like cranberry juice (good for gladder but don't know of kidney efficacy) and various things like that.

I was reading something about "marshmallow tea" being good to flush kidneys but I am suspicious it might just be snake oil hokum.

Any thoughts?

2. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I have no advice but am interested in any responses.

I've had kidney problems for years. When I was about 25 I started peeing every 1/2 hour and just a little bit at a time.

Went to the doc and he said my kidneys were only filtering at 50%, but working 4 times harder than normal.

The doc was a little wacky though, and was convinced I was doing steroids, which was very annoying. At the time though I was taking mega doses of vitamins and quite a few supps (creatine etc).

So I stopped all supps and took some prescriptions (can't remember what) and it pretty much went back to normal.

But it flares up from time to time, I think due to the large amounts of protein I eat.

I only tried cranberry pills, and they didn't do a thing.

3. DBradD

DBradD

Same here. Both of my grannies died from problems related to kidney failure.

Reminds me of a funny shirt I saw a bodybuilder wearing. It said: "No I don't take steroids, but thanks for asking."

4. hotlunch

hotlunch

Thanks for the info everyone.

I was wondering as I know someone with kidney problems and it got me thinking about kidney health and how to care for them. I know it sounds a bit weird but this person's illness really showed me how important those organs are. When they begin to go it isn't pretty!