Kid Friendly Western Washington Fishing Lakes?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by duncan, Mar 1, 2003.

1. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I haven't had a chance to get much lake fishing in since I moved to the Eastside of Seattle years ago.

Can anybody recommend some nice lakes where my three boys ages 9, 8, 6 can sit on the dock or banks and fish for some trout, largemouth bass or the like?

I know about Lake Pleasant in Woodinville and that is nice as well as Pine Lake in Issaquah. Anymore close to the Eastside?

2. Craigster

Craigster

Living a bit south in Vancouver, WA. my local info might not help but a good contact is the Washington Department of Wildlife web site. They will give you a copy of the lakes they stock, stocking dates and special kids fishing days or areas.

Bass fisherman wont give up info easily but there is some good fishing around and with a little work you might pry out a spot or two. Iv been to a few up there but cant remember names or locations except Prineville and Potholes ring a bell.

Kokanee, land locked Salmon, are plentiful in several lakes here, great on the table and fun for kids but require some special hardware and a boat. Check out Riffe Lake, IV never been there myself but heard some stories.

Another idea is to watch for a river run of Shad. They are not much good for eating but simple to fish for, unbelievable fighters and with a good spot on the bank or a boat you can catch them until your arms fall off, a lot of fun for the kids and Dad. Again, Wash D.O.W. is a good resource for any of the above.

Jerk some lips.

Craig

3. PhatGuru

PhatGuru Kydex Member

If you don't mind going a bit (ok, quite a ways for you) south Mineral Lake and Kapowson have both trout and some bass. Mineral lake has a nasty habit of stealing my lures. I guess treble hooks and submerged logs don't mix well.:)

I almost forgot, Wal-Mart sells some blue fox spinner lures for .97 cents. The trout love them and it doesn't hurt so bad to lose those.

4. duncan

5. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

While it'd be a bit of a drive for you...there is a nice little pond/lake in Pacific County where my dad and I would fish with my uncle when we'd visit that he called the "Radar Pond" which was full of brookies and rainbows. It was maybe an acre in size, has a small unimproved boat ramp, lots of fallen logs, crystal clear water...

My uncle fishes with small hooks, tipped with half a crawler, fished weightless. I flyfished, and used mainly dry flies or small streamers/wets. My dad fished with the same rig as my uncle sometimes, other times he'd use a float with splitshot crimped on above the hook. Other times he'd toss roostertails...

Also, check out Lake Merwin outside battleground. We used to go there a lot when I was a kid. Filled with kokanee and trout. (or it was anyway!) it sits on the Lewis River.

My dad and I liked fishing on the north fork of the Nemah River (which is where my uncle and aunt's house sits) for salmon in the fall. My dad landed a really nice silver there, and if you fish above the hatchery when it's open, there's some really great sight fishing opportunities if you're looking for fish to take home and eat. Last time we fished, we fished a stretch that was about 400 yards long, and were using spoons (red and white daredevil with copper plating) and the fish couldn't resist. You could literally pick which fish you wanted to cast too, the water was clear, and there were a number of fish. We caught and released a total of 22 salmon that day, and kept our legal limit at the end of the day. Didn't have to worry about them not being able to spawn either, as they were fish that the hatchery had already squeezed the eggs out of. They actually fought remarkably well. We fished medium-weight tackle with 15 lb line. Average fish was in the 7-10 lb range. One went 15. Made really good canned salmon for salmon patties! Made decent smoked salmon too.

If you're ever in the Portland area, and wish to fish, try Henry Hagg Lake. Nice smallmouth fishery, also has a large population of yellow perch and various panfishes. OR state record smallies keep coming out of that lake. It has pretty good bank access, as well as boat ramps.

6. duncan

Bet you had some nice memories there.

I remember going fishing with my mom when I was in my teens and all three of the kids would fish off of the docks in a privatte 400 acre lake and we'd bring home 100 crappie, bluegills, sunfish, perch and maybe even two catfish!

Good panfryers for Sunday brunch after church. Those were the good days.