close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Key West, FL

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Arquebus12, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Thinking about taking a vacation trip, wanted to solicit the GT Brain Trust on anything that's worth seeing, doing, what to watch out for, negative points, etc. Any feedback's appreciated, let's hear it.

I should mention it's going to be Mrs. Arquebus and myself only, no kids, and that we're interested in seafood, history, beaches beaches beaches, maybe a little fishing, but not necessarily in that order.

2. Restless28

Restless28

I hear that alternative lifestyles are popular there. :whistling:

3. badge315

badge315

Born there, love it. The last time I went, I took the ferry out to Fort Jefferson in Dry Tortugas Nat'l Park...it's a little pricey, but if you like old civil war forts and tropical islands, I highly recommend it.

http://www.yankeefreedom.com/

4. noway

noway

Key West is far and the fartest point of the USA. If you like bars and a very active crowd then you will fit in. Dry Tortugas is a good place to visit and camp if your an outside folk and have some time to get to the park. I think you can still go on a day in and same day out shuttle boat.

be warn: Most of the stuff in Key West is overly priced down to food , drinks and hotel.

For hotel stay I would recommend a off the path inn like the Alantis house. You will find the accomendations great, cheaper and not as noisey as the big stay chains.

Most sites can be seen by foot, moped, bike.. so you can park the car. A few places exist on duval that offer guide tours of the are if your into that.

I would also suggest you take a trip to sarabeth for some good food or coffee

If you like open seas fishing , plenty of charters are in and out from largo onwards and the more person in your party is cheaper over all. If you stay at the inns, you might find some one to cook up or fry your catch if you offer some of the goods to your host.

If you and the miss is coming down, try to get in and out B4 hurricane season starts. Pretty much any storm to pass thru the keys is going to be a vacation intruder and force evacuation for you outsiders.

That's all I have to say about Key West. I personally like the upper Keys.

5. automatic slim

automatic slim Walmart Shopper

Had a 2 or 3 night gig at Turtle Kraals back in the 90's. After the show, me and the drummer went drinkin'. We walked into a bar, and immediately everyone turns around and looks at us. We noticed that there were no females......stopped us dead in our tracks...:shocked:

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr SAC trained warrior CLM

Margaritaville is a dive with a great grouper sandwich.
    Avoid parking meters, parking ticket is like $76
    Hooters is a dive with crap service.
    Hog's Breath Saloon is great.
    The Hemingway House was very cool.....avoid if alergic to cats!
    Dry Tortugas has some AWESOME snorkeling.

Overall a very good time,..........

p.s.
    Traffic driving down will be a PITA,.....be patient!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  7. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I'd think about not going to Florida for a few months, at least. Maybe.

8. noway

noway

Man ain't that the truth. Every time I made attempts to KeyWest. I had issues,

boat knock off trailer
    dump truck on fire near cardsound
    Bus broken down in the lane of traffic
    Delayed in plantation keys due to a taffic fatality for like 6+ hours
    and the list is so long I could write a novel

Upper key baby.... It's a whole better scene. Heck I'm happy with Key Biscayne :rofl:

I try to avoid anything south of mile marker 107 if I can. Key West is too much hassle for me.

9. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Bummer for you.

10. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Key West is a lot of fun. Definitely going to be expensive. Dry Tortugas is worth the money and the time. Keep the Mrs. close to you when going into strange bars if you are fit and don't look like the elephant man. Unless you like being hit on by guys of course. I kid, there is a large gay community but for the most part they find the tourists as entertaining as the tourists find them.

11. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Florida's the spot!

Will you be driving or have a rental car? If you do, you can start near Fort Pierce by watching a sunrise, have breakfast then check out of the hotel, simply drive West on SR70 and maybe have lunch in Lake Placid. Then continue West on SR70 till you get to the Sarasota area, which is just south of Tampa-St. Pete. Check into your hotel, and watch the sunset on Florida's West Coast. Romantic sunrise and sunset on the same day...:supergrin: Oh yeah, Florida is da-bomb. (Weekdays are best for traffic, which back in the day only got "thick" once near Sarasota. The drive itself about 4 hours. I've done it, stopped for lunch on the way, and not had to rush at all. As well, you don't have to do it the same day.

Then you can start with the fishing and beach bumming etc. Or, start in Panama City and head east, then southerly at Apalachee Bay while driving along the beach.

Have fun!

12. lakepop

lakepop

White Tarpon bar 2.00 dollar beer, great ley lime martines. Half Shell raw bar good sea food oysters and shrimp good prices. Fort Jefferson if you like history.
    I GO TO Key West two times a year last 17 years try to get a house in Truman Anex
    Quite, and close to most things
    Have fun

13. Officer X

Officer X

Been there a couple times, stayed at the Hyatt right next to the Pier House near Mallory Square and had a great time.

Had to stop at Margaritaville, but also made myself comfortable at Captain Tony's Saloon, Hog's Breath and Sloppy Joes. They can get a little crowded when the cruise ships are docked though.

For food we enjoyed the Conch Republic Seafood Company.

KW really isn't a big beach town but we rented bikes and toured the island and checked out the public beaches, the one at the Truman Annex was nice. Didn't do the Tortuga trip but did a snorkle trip and sunset sail cruise.

Had a great time and hoping to go back soon.

For a fun time, Hogs Breath has internet cameras at the bar. Get a few beers and some clams at the raw bar, then call up your friends so they can watch you and be jealous.

14. Wyoming

Wyoming

I used to visit my Dad in Ft. Myers Florida ever winter. One of the most memorable was when we took a high speed catamaran from Ft Myers to Key West. Dad knew by then to avoid the long drive there!

What ever you do make sure you go to Key West.:thumbsup:

15. brausso

brausso

IMO the people there are not the most friendly and it's way over priced, but other than that, it's a good time. You must do the Duval Crawl. Duval St. is one of the more fun places I've been to in the U.S. You'll definitely see a little bit of everything there, but it's always fun to experience new things. Good food, drinks, and party atmosphere if that's what you're looking for.

16. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

Makes me wish I was in a seaside town sitting in a bar.

Just realized I probably shouldn't post their webcam link here; sorry about that!

You never know when you're on candid camera!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  17. OUSooner

OUSooner

I can't believe you didn't mention Irish Kevin's!!!!

18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Actually, it's going to delay his bummer til later. Lol

19. harrygunner

harrygunner

Key West struck me as being low key, a quiet adventure (I did not do the tour of the bars).

The drive down from Miami is cool. Joined in on the ceremony of watching the sun set at Mallory Square. It's against the law to block a sunset, so the cruise ships had to move off the dock.

The owners of the Hog's Breath in Key West sued Clint Eastwood to change the logo of his Hog's Breath restaurant in Carmel, CA. The woman was still animated about that when I mentioned Clint's place.

Key lime pie and free ranging chickens. Quiet, but I'm going back the next time I'm in Miami.

20. k9medic

k9medic

+1 on taking the catamaran out of Ft. Myers.

I'm heading down there on a 10 day trip but going by my own boat. No way in the world I would want to be in a car that long.

We are staying one block off of Duval (on Simonton).