close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Keurig - love em or hate em?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GlockinNJ, May 6, 2012.

1. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

I have one and never use it. The coffee just tastes a little "off" to me. But, I just bought some DD cups and, man, that's some good coffee. Maybe I'll start using the machine more now...

Used to hate it, but now I like it - depends on the coffee I guess.

2. TheJ

TheJ NRA Life Member Lifetime Member

Yeah I really enjoy mine. Had to experiment with different coffees to find some I really like. I use it every day. Coffee in the am and tea in the pm. My wife likes diffirent ones than I do so the Keurig works out really well.

3. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Wife loves it, I hate the cost. Coffee is ok. I much prefer a French Press- I picked a nice one up at Goodwill for $1.50! I'm sure they had no idea what it was.

4. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

I drink too much coffee for one of those to be cost effective. And I always drink my coffee in a travel mug, and those don't fit.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. nmk

nmk

I like mine, but I keep an eye out for slick deals on the cups.

6. okie

okie GT Mayor

Never used one, but I hate ANY kind of coffee:puking:

7. Hamguy

Hamguy

Love it, love it, love it. I'm single & live alone so making a pot of coffee for just me was wasteful. Single servings are the way to go.

8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

9. Whiskey Six

Whiskey Six Marine 0369 Platinum Member

I LOVE mine! I buy the K Cups at Sam's. About 50 cents each.

10. Firebob2917

Firebob2917 Forgiven

11. FPS

FPS

It's not for me. I like fresh-roasted coffee and I can't stand the noise it makes.

12. napp32

napp32

Same here. I'm currently using my second Keurig machine. The first one only lasted about two months before it just stopped pumping. I called Keurig; and they shipped me a replacement on the same day I called. The replacement machine has been pumping out three cups per day for almost two years without a problem.

The cost per cup is a little high; but it's cheaper in the long run since I don't end up dumping unused coffee.

13. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

We use the heck out of ours. Wife bought the micro one before Christmas. This is the kind you pour water in before each cup. Works great, you have complete control over how strong the coffee is.

We have settled on Newman's Own in regular and decaf. Tastes the best of all the coffee's we have tried. Costco sells it for $38/80 which is the best price we have been able to find.

My son absolutely loves it. He told me "It's like a coffee replicator from Star Trek." It is a lot faster than a regular Mr. Coffee style maker even for multiple cups.

I bought a second one for my wife to take to work. Her work will allow it, because there is no hot plate (fire hazard).

Definitely a real advance in coffee making. The cost difference isn't as bad as it seems when you consider how many old pots of coffee get thrown away.

P.S. To the people having problems with not pumping. If it stops working, then use a syringe to force water back up the needle that pierces the top of the K-Cup. Hard water scale collects there and will stop the flow of water. Run a cup of white vinegar through the machine every couple of weeks as a preventative measure. Be prepared to use the syringe after running vinegar through the machine.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

LUDA!!!
    [​IMG]
    "Ludacris fills cups like double dees!!!"

15. truetopath

truetopath

I love mine...I never get my butt out of bed early enough to make a pot of coffee, so being able to get that 1 cup jump start is a beautiful thing.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. Chaos

Chaos S.n.a.f.u.

Never got a chance to use one. Researched it the last time I saw it here on GT, and thought it looked like a great idea. We don't have them here in SA. but was prepared to import one, and keep importing the caps from eBay.
    Emailed Keurig to ask if they did a 240V version or planned one, and basically got told no, and they couldn't be bothered with international markets. So I decided I wasn't bothered enough to start worrying about transformers and stuff, and just dropped the idea. Their reply was pretty much: "couldn't give a ****"
    Maybe another brand will realize there is a huge market outside of the USA...

Chaos

17. MotoGlock

MotoGlock

I like it. The Newman's own brand you get in bulk at Costco is very good.

Gotta run vinegar through the machine every few months somit doesn't get clogged.

18. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

My girl won one at her company Christmas party last year. I've used it more than she has. It also works well as an instant hot water dispenser for things like hot chocolate and instant oatmeal.

We've been using ours pretty much daily since the end of December and only fill it with filtered water from our refrigerator door. We've never had the needle clog yet.

19. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

I have one at home and one at work. The first one I bought for home, crapped out in a week. BB&B replaced it with no questions. In less than a year, it's replacement developed a condition where the water pumps back into the reservoir, I suspect it's a type of safety valve. It will only make a half a cup on the largest cup setting, and I have to run it a second time on the smallest cup setting to finish the cup: on the same k-cup.

The one at work hasn't had a problem.

I only make 1 cup a day through the week, and use a french press on the weekends.

ETA: speaking of getting clogged..... the one at work periodically gets the piercer on the bottom clogged and I have to blow it out with air. Mostly with Emeril Bold.

20. NJDrew1

NJDrew1

Love it. In fact, just bought a small one for my wife to use at work. Yes, the coffee is more expensive. First cup in the morning is quick, no need to dump out a partial pot when you don't drink all of it. The convenience and the variety is worth it to me.