close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Keurig Coffee Pots & Stuff

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by spotco2, Mar 15, 2010.

1. spotco2

spotco2

Well, I said it was a waste of money to spend $130 on a friggin coffee maker because we just bought a nice GE coffee maker last year and there was nothing wrong with it.

She said, I want one.

I said, but it only makes one or two cups at a time and the one we already have will make 12.

She said, I want one.

I said that the new coffee was way overpriced and we already had several bags of regular coffee in the cabinet.

She said, I want one.

Well, SHE brought one home along with about 5 boxes of different flavored coffee and tea, all sorts of filters, accessories and a cute little rotating stand to put the coffee out on display so our kitchen now looks like a convience store counter.

I have to admit, it makes a darn fast cup of coffee with very little fuss and cleanup. Some of the flavors are not to bad either but they aint cheap at about $10 per 6oz.

I know that I am not the only one that has been forced into using one of these contraptions. So I've got to ask, where's the cheapest place to buy these K-cups at?

2. Twisted Steel

Twisted Steel And Sex Appeal

You can get tops for those containers that allow you to reuse the container and use your own coffee. I've been on the fence about one. There is a $95 model at Lowes.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010

3. slick64

slick64

Online. Keurig will ship for free if you buy enough. Way easy.

4. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I sounded exactly like you.... until I bought one (after the wife wore me down...:supergrin:)

After I had it, I was quickly turned around by the huge universe of available coffees (Check Amazon...) and got to like mix and match different flavors without brewing up a whole pot that doesn't get used up...

Only caveat I've seen so far- After hundreds of cups, mine wouldn't flow out of the top 'needle'... The little hole plugged.... I fixed it with my 'air blaster' that I usually use to blow dust out of computers....:supergrin:

5. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

6. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I've been buying Newman's Own Special Blend Extra Bold at Sam's Club. An 80 count box is $33.00. It's good coffee and one of my favorites out of the Keurig. I do like to change to the Green Mountain Coffee Sumatran Reserve or Kona blend for variety every once in a while. For those I order from:

http://www.coffeewiz.com/

They have the 24 count coffee service boxes for, mostly, $11.19. Shipping is free if your order is over $50.00.

The Sam's Club works out to about $.41 a cup and most CoffeeWhiz cups are around $.46.

We intitially bought the Keurig so my wife could have decaf in the morning and I could have regular without making two pots. When our B50 died after two years I went out and bought a B60 Special Edition. If it dies after two years I may reluctantly give them up. The Capresso they replaced cost me $100.00 (yeah, it was expensive too) in 1992 and still works fine.

7. Fungunner

Fungunner

My dad has one and loves it. I buy him replacement cartridges, when he can't find them. I also got him a couple adapters that allow him to use his own stuff, when he runs out.

8. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

My coffee maker cost two grand, consider yourself thrifty. LOL

9. spotco2

spotco2

Thanks for the coffeewhiz link.

We have the My-Kcup adapters and I can not sigure out how much coffee to put in them to make it taste like my old coffee maker. They are also messy as all get out.

10. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I have one and drink instant if I run out of K-cups. The My-Kcup negates virtually every advantage of the Keurig machine. I won't use it.

11. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

My good friend has one of those, it seems silly to me. You pay all that money for the machine, and then all those quaint little cups. Then you use the cup once and throw it in the garbage. I will admit the coffee is okay, but I make much better in my french press.

The french press is awesome. They are like 30$. You throw in a few scoops of fresh ground coffee, heat up 32 oz of water in the microwave, throw it all together, take a shower, and there is a bunch of rich dark coffee done when you get out.

That is a cute business idea/gimmick making a new way to sell coffee that requires one to buy internally manufactured cartridges to produce something we have been drinking for about 600 years, bottled water, cartridge coffee, I need to get into the packaged air business.

12. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I had a similar coffee machine once, but the damned capsules are so expensive they bled me dry.

The Keurig capsules seems to be a bit more reasonably priced, but I still don't like the idea of being forced into a proprietary setup.

I went for a Jura Capresso coffee maker instead. It takes any coffee bean, grinds, and makes me a cup of coffee or expresso in under 30 seconds.

13. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

My $15 coffee maker has been going good for years, makes a good cup of joe.

14. mackasenbach

mackasenbach

+1 on the french press

like it better than my Keurig

15. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Yeah, which is why I haven't gotten around to using mine. I did have to get a replacement machine a few months back because it wasn't grabbing water consistently. They didn't want the machine, but the thing you put the cups in (cup holder?). You can't find those anywhere...although I admit to not checking ebay real good. I will probably use the k-kup thing in that since it fits and don't care about ruining it.

I did notice that a device on the single cup forum I posted has filters. I'm tempted to see if I can use those filters in the K-Kup to see if it will help with the mess issue. Again, haven't used one myself, just have read over and over again how messy it is.

It all comes down to convenience. Thing of coffee in less than a minute. What's crazy is my work has a business model with selection of tea and coffee and probably goes through a few boxes a day.

In a way for me, it saves me a little money (minus the initial cost of machine of course) because I will usually get coffee on the way to something, but now I just make a quick cup and leave. I also like to use it for hot water for tea and crap.

This I will agree to not liking. Green Mountain owns Keurig. They also own most of the various brands you see. I think they just bought Dietrich.

16. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

You can't come out with something like that and not elaborate. What do you have?

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

18. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I use a Melitta filter holder to make one cup at a time (I only have a cup or two a day and my wife doesn't drink coffee). The coffee comes from Costco. I keep a few days' worth in a ziplock bag and put the rest in a vacuum sealed Foodsaver bag. It keeps it fresh all the way to the end.

19. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

The Melitta filter holder is nice but you still have to measure the coffee and heat the water and there is clean up to do afterwards. With the Keurig you simply put a K-cup in and press a button. The only clean up is throwing the used K-cup away. I had a Melitta one cup travel coffee maker years ago. It fit in a small bag along with containers for coffee, creamer, and sugar. I would grind enough to fill the coffee container right before I left and have great coffee until I came home.

20. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I love your signature. That is hilarious. :)

Back On topic, I thought I drink a few cups a week... until I looked at the "cup count" my coffee maker tracks. 683 cups+ since Last Christmas. :) No wonder I can't sleep.