close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

kettlebells

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by nam02G, Jan 27, 2006.

1. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Anybody ever try these things for working out? They're basically a cannon ball with a handle. They've actually been around for 2500 years in one form or another. Tried my first workout with them this morning. I have a feeling I'm going to be in pain tomorrow.

2. DBradD

DBradD

What's the advantage over plain ole run of the mill dumbbells? My guess is that you physically get the same thing out of these as dumbbells, but if you enjoy them more and will therefore do them more, then that's cool!

DBD

3. nam02G

DBD,
    The main advantage over a dumbbell is the geometry (shape). Most likely you can do the same exercises, but you're going to be beating yourself up more with the dumbbells. Or twisting around to avoid it in such a way as to strain yourself.

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

DBD--

I'm with you. Swings, snatches, clean and presses, side press, bent press can all be done with d-bells. The Pavel followers will tell you that the kettlebells are more "ballistic". Heck, even in one of his kettlebell books Pavel says to do swings with a dumbell as a beginner program. Maybe I'm just too skeptical, but I can buy a lot of plates for the price of one kettlebell.

Jack

5. gunguru1

gunguru1

Man those kettlebells are expensive, though. I think it's like $85 for a 26lb bell!;P

6. xcop

xcop

You can buy a kettlebell handle from NY Barbell. It comes with an adaptor for small or olympic plates. Good to start off with to see if you will continue.

7. USPMAN

USPMAN

I have a 35lb KB and a 53lb'er on the way. I have to say that I enjoy working with them, as it takes little space and can be done without spotters or racks for almost any muscle group for either endurance or strength. The thick handle will fry your forearms. I would not do swings with a dumbell, as I value my shins.

8. California Jack

Not sure what your concern is, I've done thousands of dumbell swings without incident. Some of the old York Courses prescribe dumbell swings too. Oh well, TEHO.

Jack

9. Penguin15

Penguin15

when you refer to swings do you mean like swinging a bowling ball?

10. California Jack

11. Halojumper

Halojumper

I've signed up for a kettlebell seminar next weekend, here in Denver. I'll post on it afterward.

12. five-0

five-0

CalJack...what hand(s) position do you use for dumbell swings?
    Thanks

13. California Jack

five-o,

How is your training going? I haven't heard from you for a while. I think dumbell swings would be a good supplement to your club-bell training.

AFAIK, there are 3 ways to do d-bell swings. The first is just hold the dumbell in one hand. Still you would swing it between your legs. Do your first set and than for the next, switch hands. Secondly, with one hand (for me the right hand) grab the bell close to the leading end. With the other hand, grip as much of the handle as you can ( this would be with the bottom part of your hand) and overlap the first hand with the remainder of the grip. The last method I don't like. It is to do swings with 2 d-bells and swing them outside of your legs.

Hope that is clearer than mud. I'll see if I can find any links that might help.

Good luck 5-oh,
    Jack

14. California Jack

five-o,

I just went and picked up a dumbell and realized I had my second description above completely backwards. For the one dumbell swing with 2 hands I grip it as follows:

First, with my left hand, I grip the bell with my pinky finger up against the trailing head of the d-bell.

Next, with my right hand, I grip the dumbell with my thumb and index finger up against the leading head of the d-bell. My right hand pinky and ring fingers overlap my left hand.

This way is superior to the grip I mistakenly described above as it allows for both thumbs to wrap around the bell.

BTW, this is how I do dumbell swings.

Sorry for the confusion,
    Jack

15. five-0

five-0

CalJack...thanks for the info, bud.

I'm still nursing an overuse injury (tennis elbow). It's my own fault that I've let it go on this long...I thought I could just cut back some and continue to train. That hasn't worked...the last straw was when it got bad enough to start irritating me during shooting and SWAT training.

So, for the next month I'm just going to run. That way I can finally (hopefully) be done with this issue and get back to work!

Take care.

16. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Weird!

I never hear of kettle bells all 37 years of my life, then in the last week it comes up twice.

Weird!

17. nam02G

Steve, what was the other time?