Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine has been doing kettlebells for about year and convinced me to give it a try a little over a month ago.

WOW!

While I knew I was out of shape and carrying more then a few extra pounds around I could not believe how poor my condition had become. That first session I after a mere 4 minutes I was ready to pray to the porcelain goddess. I guess 10 years of flying a desk has really put me in need of serious exercise.

After a month of working out with KB's every other day I do feel much better and my endurance has improved immensely and I must say I'm hooked on KB's.

I'm wondering if anyone here has done any VO2 Max work with KB's and is there anyone here RKC certified?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jack,
thanks

Last nights VO2 max was a killer(for me anyway)

We started with 30 seconds of swings then 30 seconds of rest for 5 minutes.
2 minutes rest
Then moved onto 15 seconds of snatches and 15 seconds rest for 5 minutes.
2 minutes rest

We repeated that 6 times in total.
I'm happy to report I completed the workout.
The goal being to restrict the 2 minute rest periods until we can make it 30 minutes non-stop with the 16Kg and then move up to the 20Kg and start over.

·
First throwing ax bullseye.
2,517 Posts
Jack,
thanks

Last nights VO2 max was a killer(for me anyway)

We started with 30 seconds of swings then 30 seconds of rest for 5 minutes.
2 minutes rest
Then moved onto 15 seconds of snatches and 15 seconds rest for 5 minutes.
2 minutes rest

We repeated that 6 times in total.
I'm happy to report I completed the workout.
The goal being to restrict the 2 minute rest periods until we can make it 30 minutes non-stop with the 16Kg and then move up to the 20Kg and start over.

Keep that up and you'll be working on the kettlebell challenge before too long. I used to do kettlebells at work with a group, until the company took away our workout room and didn't replace it. Part of the challenge, the part we focused on, was 200 snatches with a 24kg kettlebell in ten minutes. I never came even close, I think the most I did was 140, but a couple of the other guys did it.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Keep that up and you'll be working on the kettlebell challenge before too long. I used to do kettlebells at work with a group, until the company took away our workout room and didn't replace it. Part of the challenge, the part we focused on, was 200 snatches with a 24kg kettlebell in ten minutes. I never came even close, I think the most I did was 140, but a couple of the other guys did it.
140 is nothing to laugh at either. Good job. BTW, I believe the 10 minute snatch test is the Secret Service test, not officially part of the RKC.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
...or with the T-handle contraption shown at the left side of the screen? http://www.rosstraining.com/

It would be cool to build one of those. Ross doesn't like swings with a DB because it's uncomfy to hold the DB with both hands at once. My biggest problem with KBs, besides expense, is the lack of adjustability. Heck, I don't even like DBs for this, LOL--have to go 5 lb at a time which equates to 10 lb in both hands combined for two-DB exercises.

·
Registered
662 Posts
They are the latest fitness fad. As my mentor told me, "physiology is physiology is physiology". Apply long-known, well researched physiological data and principles and there is no end to how you can achieve a goal...although refining the process for the purposes of maximum performance achievement means applying specificity as much as possible...

First break down the requirements of the activity/event into its fitness components. Then work on improving each. During the process, always stress "goal pace" in the context of your current fitness level. As you progress and close in on the most important period of competition or overall fitness level you desire, then tailor your workouts to very closely mimic the event and or goal you wish to achieve. Sharp, concise, and quality above quantity in principle (although there will be plenty of quantity...just at a quality level).

If throwing semi-heavy objects above your head is what you need to do for some reason, then Kettle balls may be the main activity for you. Personally, I can come up with infinite better available ways, which won't cost me in additional equipment costs to achieve this and every other result I may want to achieve.

Sorry for the rant, but I have been at the competition/fitness game for a long time and have seen so many expensive fads which try to reinvent to wheel. And of course, it is always the least fit--least experienced--most workout-hating individuals who throw their money away on them. (Diets are actually a much worse example of this). And I know someone will say, "Well if it makes them happy and they get a good workout, then what's the harm?" Personally, I don't like getting ripped off...nor do I like to see it happen to others. And please don't leave your kettle balls lying on the floor in the middle of the gym when you're between sets.

·
First throwing ax bullseye.
2,517 Posts
They are the latest fitness fad. As my mentor told me, "physiology is physiology is physiology". Apply long-known, well researched physiological data and principles and there is no end to how you can achieve a goal...although refining the process for the purposes of maximum performance achievement means applying specificity as much as possible...

First break down the requirements of the activity/event into its fitness components. Then work on improving each. During the process, always stress "goal pace" in the context of your current fitness level. As you progress and close in on the most important period of competition or overall fitness level you desire, then tailor your workouts to very closely mimic the event and or goal you wish to achieve. Sharp, concise, and quality above quantity in principle (although there will be plenty of quantity...just at a quality level).

If throwing semi-heavy objects above your head is what you need to do for some reason, then Kettle balls may be the main activity for you. Personally, I can come up with infinite better available ways, which won't cost me in additional equipment costs to achieve this and every other result I may want to achieve.

Sorry for the rant, but I have been at the competition/fitness game for a long time and have seen so many expensive fads which try to reinvent to wheel. And of course, it is always the least fit--least experienced--most workout-hating individuals who throw their money away on them. (Diets are actually a much worse example of this). And I know someone will say, "Well if it makes them happy and they get a good workout, then what's the harm?" Personally, I don't like getting ripped off...nor do I like to see it happen to others. And please don't leave your kettle balls lying on the floor in the middle of the gym when you're between sets.

Seed, I have to dispute a couple things about your statement here. KettleBELLs, not balls, are not the latest fad. They are probably two fads ago, to an extent. They trace their origin to ancient Greece. They were also used extensively by the soviet union for fitness training as they are more convenient in several ways to conventional gyms as we know them. So they have been around for quite a while. I think they way they were marketed in this country did turn them into something of a fad, although they do seem to remain quite popular locally. With the variety of exercises avilable you really can get an excellent workout.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Wow haven't checked this thread for a couple days.

Jack,
I quite honestly have no idea if there is much difference between dumbell workouts and KB's. I'm sure they are just as good as long as you stick with it.

As for all the fad stuff.....well I'm sick and tired of hearing experts argue this or that all day long when all that matters is you find something you enjoy and stick with it. It's no wonder people have such a hard time working out or eating right. There is always a new expert out there saying forget what you've heard that won't work. Or eat this fruit or veggie rather than that fruit or veggie. Meanwhile; jellybellys like me go grab a snickers bar and sit in front of the
T.V. and watch Biggest Loser.

Bottom line is KB's are fun FOR ME!!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
We had three Dragondoor bells, and just added a fourth for my wife from Lifeline. Quality is certainly on par with Dragondoor, with the main difference being a slightly rougher surface. Cost shipped is significantly less than DD as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts