GlockTalk Forum banner

261 - 280 of 356 Posts

·
2,994 Posts
If he had a Kentucky CCL it is recognized by Florida. Several states already do the reciprocity.

That's not the issue. The issue was "open carry" Florida Police took him to jail for it..
I'm aware of that....and to his chagrin, he was not aware that OC is not allowed there.

·
Registered
34,821 Posts
Yeah, but you do not know that he was not very complaint and respectful, which being from Kentucky, would more naturally be his mannerism...
That is what I said & where you are from has little to do with manners imo. I have seen turds in every state I have been in, kalif thru nc & fl.

·
Registered
34,821 Posts
Just to be clear, are you saying you are more threatened by me, sitting in a booth with my 4 year old grandson, armed with a Glock 30 THAT YOU DON'T KNOW I AM CARRYING than some guy openly displaying a gun on his waist?
Kind of a no brainier. Sure, if I dont know you, you are ccw, you get a cursory look., move on. Walk in, the only guy oc, you get marked as a potential target by many that ccw.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If I got that call, I would have no problem with cutting the guy some slack under those circumstances as long as he didn't cause a disturbance over the issue. He would get a lecture about checking laws on trips and told to cover or stow it. I would also have no problem telling the complainant the only difference between him being legal and illegal was a layer of cotton. The fact someone is scared of guns doesn't automatically mean someone goes to jail IMO.
Of course, that doesn't mean he wasn't stupid for not doing basic research.

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
My personal thoughts are the person openly carrying is far less threatening and more comforting than those that may have weapons, but not showing them...If I can see the weapon I know there is someone around that will probably be the first to be targeted, and to defend the masses, therefore, giving me an opportunity to go for my concealed weapon before a would-be killer targets me...and, the open-carry fellow/lady is less likely to be the aggressor in any group of people. I acknowledge those open-carry folks in a friendly and appreciative manner.
That's actually the premise of the concept of gun control. Out of sight, out of mind, as they say. If guns are banned from society, then they're all gone...right? I don't have a problem personally with someone who open carries, but two things come to mind when someone is open carrying. First, they're making a bunch of people uncomfortable. Second, if someone is "casing the joint", the guy with the gun will be the first one they take out, when otherwise, a shot may not have been fired at all if everyone cooperated. A former neighbor of mine, will miss his upcoming 40th class reunion by about 39 years because a gun was on his hip. The first shot hit him as he was walking in the door. The fatal shot came from his own gun and he died right there in that open doorway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is ridiculous that we can freely go from state to state, but if we have a gun we are not welcome, disfavored, and generally treated like s**t. We should have a Constitutional open carry law and a concealed carry law that applies the same in all 50 states w/o exception.

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
116,456 Posts
MOST misdemeanors shouldn't lead to an arrest on the first offense, particularly when the "state" is the victim.
How will you know it's his first offense if he didn't get arrested for previous offenses?
It could just as easily been his fifth verbal warning.

·
Registered
59,812 Posts
It won't be condemned.

So if a "drunk driver" gets called in, the guy gets arrested even if he's not drunk, ....
Wouldn't a better analogy be if a drunk driver who is drunk has to be arrested because he was called in?

·
Private side
11,392 Posts
I HOPE that he would have learned from the 1st 4 warnings that open carry wasn't allowed in FL. I'm not sure where they would keep track of verbal warnings from other locations. My comment was meant for general misdemeanors. Open container, noise ordinance violations, litter, things of that sort that can be corrected without citing or arresting.
I don't know the specifics of this case, but if presented with evidence that he indeed was one of those to which my signature line applies, then he deserves what he got.

Reactions: B00ger

·
Private side
11,392 Posts
Wouldn't a better analogy be if a drunk driver who is drunk has to be arrested because he was called in?
Perhaps a better analogy would be when someone calls in an expired tag and the person gets stopped. Does the officer HAVE to issue the ticket? You did understand where I was going though, correct?

·
Registered
23 Posts
A Kentucky man who said he thought Florida allowed people to openly carry a firearm was arrested for not having the weapon concealed.

William Strode, 26, of Glasgow, Kentucky, was arrested at the Denny's on Daniels Parkway, according to a report from the Lee County Sheriff's Office. He was released on $750 bond and will be arraigned March 13.

The sheriff's report said deputies came to the restaurant to check a report by restaurant patrons of a man displaying a black pistol.

The report said Strode was cooperative and told deputies he had a valid Kentucky concealed carry permit and was not aware that Florida was not an open-carry state. Kentucky does have a reciprocity agreement with Florida, but it applies to concealed carry only.

He also told deputies that he did not mean to frighten anyone and was carrying the firearm for self-protection.

The black Glock 17 9MM handgun, which Strode had in an attached holster, had one round chambered and 11 rounds in a magazine.

The firearm was taken, unloaded by deputies, and placed into evidence. The report said the gun's serial number was checked and no crimes were connected to it.

Florida, California, Illinois, New York, South Carolina and the District of Columbia generally prohibit people from openly carrying handguns in public places. Forty-five states have restrictions and rules that allow some form of open carrying of a handgun.

https://www.news-press.com/story/ne...urant-arrested-openly-packing-heat/376451002/
Stupid. Before I leave I double check current laws in all the states I enter on interstate trips. I'm always afraid I may miss something, but missing whether open carry is legal or not is just stupid. Almost as stupid as open carrying to begin with.

Another sign of his intelligence is carrying 11 rounds in a 17 round magazine....

At least he had a round in the chamber.

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
116,456 Posts
Another sign of his intelligence is carrying 11 rounds in a 17 round magazine....

At least he had a round in the chamber.
It's a long drive from KY to Ft. Myers, he probably nailed a few Deer Crossing signs, maybe even a desk pop or two.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Legal or not, this is the type thing that makes me hesitate to OC. Louisiana is an OC state but I'm afraid that explanation wouldn't go far when you're getting pointed at by children and frightened adults.:frown: Too bad because I have a Safariland holster with the anti-grab lock I'd like to try out for my Beretta....
I live in Alabama and tested my rights today. I had been shooting all day and was open carrying on the way home. I called my wife and said I was going test my 2nd amendment rights and Alabama’s open carry law so I went in WalMart to get gun scrubber with my Glock 17 in a locking Cytac holster and a tee shirt and tac pants. Got some looks but no problems. Not sure how I feel about it. I would love for some LEO’s to chime in. And I do have a concealed carry permit.

·
Registered
59,812 Posts
Perhaps a better analogy would be when someone calls in an expired tag and the person gets stopped. Does the officer HAVE to issue the ticket? You did understand where I was going though, correct?
.Yes I understand what you are getting at. Different places have different priorities and norms and customs as to what misdemeanors are enforced more or less strictly. Hopefully that usually is a reflection of the wishes of the community. I imagine that lots of places could be more tolerant of an openly carried gun than some others. I imagine an expired tag some place may barely warrant a warning and in others may result in the car being towed.

Reactions: Misty02

·
Registered
34,821 Posts
If I got that call, I would have no problem with cutting the guy some slack under those circumstances as long as he didn't cause a disturbance over the issue. He would get a lecture about checking laws on trips and told to cover or stow it. I would also have no problem telling the complainant the only difference between him being legal and illegal was a layer of cotton. The fact someone is scared of guns doesn't automatically mean someone goes to jail IMO.
Of course, that doesn't mean he wasn't stupid for not doing basic research.
Agree, vetted ccw should be treated as good guys. He deserves what ever happens though, but it wa certainly up to the LEO to make the call. As you know, officer discretion is used all the time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Kind of a no brainier. Sure, if I dont know you, you are ccw, you get a cursory look., move on. Walk in, the only guy oc, you get marked as a potential target by many that ccw.
Jeez, Fred. Please go back and read the original post and my response. He said just the opposite and I questioned it. He was more threatened by somebody who either he did not know was carrying (or carrying concealed) than some guy (yahoo or upstanding citizen) carrying openly. It made no sense.

261 - 280 of 356 Posts