GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is true someone is going to have their ass handed to them. I recall a local department near me years ago who just arrested someone for filming the arrest.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/27/kentu...campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

T wo officers approached Bennett. When one of the men asked to see his ID. Bennett refuses and asks why to which the officer replies: “You’re filming a crime scene investigation… and you’re involved.

A fter Bennett again refused to produce ID the the officer grabs for the phone and hits Bennett. The livestream ends shortly after that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
It's pretty clear and established that unless the recorder is actively interfering or creating an officer safety risk, they can record. Now, their video recording can be subpoenaed as witness testimony or evidence in some places but they can record.

If the details in the article are reasonably accurate, then said officers lost an opportunity to gain support, get access to video and violated constitutional rights.

Any cop who doesn't think they are being recorded at any event, passively or actively, is a fool.

·
Matthew 25:31-46
3,679 Posts
Is reasonable suspicion still OK?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Pretty Ladies!
4,485 Posts
Jeffersontown is usually better than that. It's one of the larger towns in Jefferson County, which is Louisville. They pay a lot better and attract higher talent. Three people who went through the police academy with me in Lexington left and went to J'town. They've had their pick of officers bailing from Louisville Metro lately.

Kinda funny that I'm only seeing this from the NY Post and there's been nothing locally on it. I imagine there will be now.

ETA: Went back and reread the article slower. Picked up this little nugget I missed the first time:

"Bennett was pointed out by a suspect as a driver involved in the alleged crime."

So, he was not just a bystander. He was a possible co- conspirator.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
So there I am, sitting in traffic school. The instructor creates a hypothetical that is legal for a turn. However, he inserts a police officer into the hypothetical. He goes the line asking each student whether the student would make the turn.

It gets to me. I respond that I would just drive around the block and come back to the area. I said I knew the answer, but I wasn't prepared to give driving lesson in court.

Similarly, I don't stop to take pictures or videos of police action, walk down streets in the bad section of town as well. It isn't policemen. It is about keeping yourself safe. You never know whether another driver or person has had a bad hair day. If the policeman asks you for identification, either give it to him or risk that he is having a bad hair day and you getting arrested for resisting arrest.

·
NRA4EVR
11,507 Posts
Why do officers care if someone is videoing? Just handle things, be professional, and don’t worry about someone standing there out of the way who isn’t part of it.

We had a fight with a guy - worst fight of my career - on the side of a road. Taser (he fell, and ineffective after that - multiples on probes and drive stuns), pepper spray, ounches, knee strikes. During it all I saw a lady stopped in her car taking video.

Once it was all over and we had him in custody (called an ambulance for excited delirium, he fought again, and they gave him versed), I hobbled over and asked to talk with her. Told her that the video could be important to us, handed her my card and asked her to email the entire unedited video, and promised that we would not alter it.

An hour later it was in my email, and was uploaded to evidence.

·
Registered
328 Posts
...Any cop who doesn't think they are being recorded at any event, passively or actively, is a fool.
Yet we have politicians, media, and citizens that fail to understand (or at least abide by) the rules of evidence, the laws pertaining to its safe keeping, and legal value/place in court proceedings.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,452 Posts
An hour later it was in my email, and was uploaded to evidence.
That must have been a long time ago. No way the average cell phone video taker is going to get the HD videos over an email, today, unless they are really short.

·
NRA4EVR
11,507 Posts
That must have been a long time ago. No way the average cell phone video taker is going to get the HD videos over an email, today, unless they are really short.
I was surprised too. She must have transferred it to her computer and emailed from home.

·
Unfair Facist
24,547 Posts
I seriously doubt that two officers approached him about him videoing the cops.

As mentioned he was pointed out by a suspect as having been involved. That makes sense then of why two officers approached him to I.D. Him

And what I might tell some suspect as to the reason why I approached them is not necessarily the real reason I am interacting with them.

If he was behind the wheel of the vehicle and in the roadway then he has to produce a drivers license. Cant tell for certain but it looks like he was in a parking lot not the roadway.

Ok in the article it says he was not in the car when approached.

Reactions: Ohio Cop

·
Registered
309 Posts
Looks like he’s no longer considered a suspect according to the Louisville news. Hard to tell from the video, they never show the whole story, but I’m guessing it’s time to break out the ol’ check book.

·
Massive Member
25,102 Posts
Looks like he’s no longer considered a suspect according to the Louisville news. Hard to tell from the video, they never show the whole story, but I’m guessing it’s time to break out the ol’ check book.
In today’s climate you may be right. But the cops don’t have to be right in the end, they have to be reasonable in the moment. He was pointed out as possibly involved, they can investigate and ID him, by force if necessary. The fact the witness lied or were mistaken was determined after the fact, that has no bearing on the legality of his arrest.

Randy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Pretty Ladies!
4,485 Posts
Bodycam footage released. I'll try to find a link with just the footage and update later.

ETA: Updated link with more details

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I saw absolutely nothing wrong in how the officer handled the investigation. A lot of stuff going on real fast changes the dynamics of things very quickly. **** Bennett, he should have kept his nose out of it.

·
Semper Paratus
27,994 Posts
For those of you that don’t have to deal with this type of crime the guy filming from across the parking lot would very well be considered a suspect ,we have found the guys that drop these homeless people off hanging out in the parking lot just in case we don’t have enough probable clause so they can scoop them up again and use them at another bank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: fg17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts