close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

kentuckey straight bourbon preferences?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by punkture, Dec 3, 2006.

1. punkture

punkture

my significant other and i embarked on a similar mission last year with pinot grigios and it looks like this time we're looking for good bourbons. so far i like:

-bulleit frontier bourbon
    -wild turkey 80,101, rare breed
    -buffalo trace
    -old charter 10/12 year
    -ancient age

of these, so far bulleit is the taste to beat (for me).

i've been suggested and plan on trying soon:

-ridgemont reserve 1792
    -maker's mark
    -knob creek

so now i ask, what is your preference? i'm looking to stay in the same price bracket if possible as the above bourbons. thanks! :drink:

2. JohniusMaximus

JohniusMaximus

I see Maker's Mark is already on your list to try. That has been my favorite.

3. GlockWurst

GlockWurst ...Est. 1968

Woodford Reserve.

My favorite.

Also, +1 for Knob Creek.

4. mouser

mouser CLM

Run with GlockWurst's suggestion - both of those are in my cabinet.
    When you are ready to spend just a bit more, and are willing to be a little adventurous, try Booker's... Each bottle has a slightly different alcohol strength, but the average is about 126. Once you can "look" behind the extra alcohol, you'll find that there's a fantastic flavor.

5. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

Buffalo Trace is what we usually have in the house, but we also like Woodford Reserve. For a real treat, get some Pappy VanWinkle 20 year old Bourbon--it ain't cheap, but it's very good. If you have a couple hundred bucks burning a hole in your wallet, go for the Pappy VanWinkle 26 year old Bourbon--without a doubt, the best bourbon I've ever tasted.

Others we like:
    1792 Ridgemont Reserve
    Wild Turkey
    Makers Mark
    Knob Creek

If you're ever in Kentucky, take a tour of the Buffalo Trace Distillery :thumbsup:

6. punkture

punkture

thanks for the feedback guys. i picked up some ridgemont reserve 1792 today. i stopped by two stores, neither of which had woodford reserve, although my "to try" list is now to:

knob creek
    woodford reserve
    makers mark
    pappy vanwinkles
    bookers

knob creek and makers mark aren't hard at all to find, but i may have to dig around for the others.

7. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3 SDMF

Wow...some awesome suggestions already. I second the Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark, Knob Creek suggestions and I add to the list Blanton's.

Now this next one might throw some of you for a loop, but Early Times is fantastic. Its not expensive, but a guy I know turned me on to it. He can afford anything he wants without a second thought. He prefers Early Times. I tried it and its damn good and I've had every bourbon mentioned in this thread (more than once). $.02
    :supergrin:

8. punkture

punkture

i've added these two new suggestions to the list, but not before i cracked open the 1792. i must say, i'm impressed. this may very well be my new taste to beat. bulleit and 1792, to me, have about the same smoothness, but 1792 is a touch sweeter.

9. punkture

punkture

since my last post, i've had a chance to try knob creek, makers mark, woodford reserve, and in a bit different category than i've been trying, gentleman jack. knob creek, while rather smooth was a bit too bitter for me. makers mark was too harsh, but it did have a decent flavor. woodford reserve was smooth (its no 1792 by any stretch), but had an offsetting wood-like finish due to the #4 char oak.

i've been able to put my hands on early times, bookers, blantons, sazerac, basil haydens, and bakers (although i've read this is a pretty harsh bourbon). i can't seem to find van winkle anywhere though. i plan to give these a try one at a time. now that i'm up to trying $40-50 bottles, i'm having to take it week at a time.

10. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

Buffalo Trace and George Dickel!

11. D25

D25 The Quick

Bookers!

It's the best. And it is soooo smooth, especially when you consider that it's around 125 proof, depending on the batch you get. Plus Booker Noe is one hell of a nice guy.

Knob Creek, Basil Haydens, Bakers, Woodford Reserve, and the Turkey are good too.

12. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

I like Wild Turkey.

13. .45MoonClip

.45MoonClip NRA Life Member

I think some of the mystique about bourbon is the distinctly American character of the whisky. I like Maker's Mark and I'm going to try some Early Times.
    I recall an interesting antecdote from a long dead Congressman who knew Harry Truman and claimed Early Times was his drink of choice. Does anyone know if this is true?

14. punkture

punkture

after yet another lengthy conversation with a local liquor store owner/bourbon connoisseur, i decided on bernheim original kentucky straight wheat whiskey. we discussed my likes and dislikes of various bourbons and settled on this to try. its remarkably smooth and has a similar finish as woodford reserve. looks like bookers and blantons will have to wait until next week.

15. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Wild Turkey 101.

Throw it in a glass with a handfull of ice cubes, let it "mellow" for 5 minutes. Slowly enjoy.......

I need a nice cigar right about now.....

16. punkture

punkture

picked up a pint of blantons and for fun some elijah craig since it was cheap and thus far untried by me.

17. KYglockers

KYglockers A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

I am a Kentuckian, this picture shows some good staples of KY Straight, I will add Early Times and of course the Staple Jim Beam to the list... ---KYGlockers

18. domzilla9

domzilla9 Phone Flinger

Jim Beam Black Label - the most under-appreciated bourbon there is.

19. CaliTheKid

CaliTheKid

Pappy Van Winkles 20 year for me. My fav and a great sipper.

20. LBTRS

LBTRS NRA Patron Life

Regular old Jim Beam isn't bad. I can't seem to keep from having to buy a new half gallon every couple months. I have never found the need for the more spendy stuff.