ken onion work sharp, any 'count?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by hammerkill, Jan 27, 2020.

1. hammerkill

hammerkill Allegheny General

I am thinking of getting one for my high dollar knives. any experience?

Intolerant likes this.
  2. redrick

redrick

I have one and don't like it for knives . I now use it on lawnmower blades .

Intolerant and cheygriz like this.

3. bdcochran

bdcochran

I have the basic model, not the Ken Onion model. Retired - restoring knives/hatchets/axes/swords/machetes/metal tools.

I had to go up the learning curve with different equipment - files/various sharpening tools.

So, do the following:
    1. watch the comparison videos on youtube. it will lead you to a conclusion as to whether you want one model or the other;
    2. i have "high value" knives and i don't hesitate to use the basic model;
    3. i think you just bought a Bark River knife. suppress the urge to sharpen the same for three months after you have done about a dozen knives using any kind of system. otherwise, you will ruin it.
    4. if you have absolutely no experience in sharpening, go to a place like Bed, Bath and Beyond. Buy the $20 manual hand sharpener wherein the angle is already set in the machine. you can practice a bit with the kitchen ware.
    5. you have to think whether you want a sushi knife, a steak knife, an edc folder type of sharpness. they actually vary. if you ever put a sushi knife type sharpness on your Bark River knife, it will probably disappear after you cut some rope and a steak in the field.
    6. the worksharp devices take a proprietary belt. i have tried PRC belts and they do not work. you can get various grits. you do not have to use all of them. learn that if you start with the finest grit, it will take you a very long time to get to where you want to be. you need experience in knowing when to use progressively finer grits - saves time and money.

Tickhill and hammerkill like this.
  4. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

I have one and use it often. It works good, but I use stones for my nicer knives.

5. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

I'd never use this thing on a good knife.

Buy a good Japanese waterstone and learn how to sharpen. Or get an Edge-Pro or Wicked Edge sharpening jig.

6. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

I use one. I practiced on cheap, stainless kitchen knives. Moved up to more expensive, German kitchen knives.

Now, I sharpen all my Benchmade knives on it.

pipedreams, bdcochran and glock1097 like this.
  7. glock1097

glock1097

Practice, practice and be careful pulling the knife through the guide. Otherwise it’s great. Start off with cheap knives and work your way up. Don’t get distracted or you’ll have a rounded out spot on blade.

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Not that awesome. Has a tendency to round off points, in my experience.

It's a lot more work, but I like my cheap Chinese copy of an Apex Edge Pro. Costs about $20-30 on Ebay. Sharpen one knife and the perfectly straight, mirror polished edge will convince you.

glock1097 likes this.
  9. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

If you're going to use power tools to sharpen fancy knives, better have your game sorted out - especially small hobby-scale tools.

10. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

You just have to be careful and not pull the blade all the way through in order not to round off points.

bdcochran, pipedreams and glock1097 like this.
  11. papercidal

papercidal

Mine works great for shovels and the like and a occasional disposable Swiss Army knife but it’s a quick way to ruin a good blade and not get that great a edge while doing it.

redrick and glock1097 like this.
  12. Ironbutt

Ironbutt

I bought a KO a few years ago & quickly added the blade grinder attachment. With that attachment, and the correct belts, once you get the hang of it, you can sharpen everything from small kitchen knives, to axes, and lawn tractor blades.

A word of warning: Like almost ALL power tools, if you don't have a basic knowledge of doing the job correctly by hand; the only thing a power tool will do is ruin that job much quicker than you could do it by hand.

pipedreams likes this.
  13. hammerkill

hammerkill Allegheny General

I think I'll get the stones.

what stones do you recommend?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    redrick and Intolerant like this.
  14. Ironbutt

Ironbutt

I've used Japanese water stones for many years to get razor edges on wood working chisels, planes, etc, in addition to knives. They do take time & patience, though. You'll need at least a medium & a fine grit. Good quality water stones will run you $30 & up each.

There are several high quality "guided" sharpening set-ups, like the Edge-Pro & KME systems, but they're very expensive.

A very highly regarded alternative to stones & expensive "systems" is the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It does a very nice job on cutlery, are relatively inexpensive, and very simple to use. They're available from Amazon for about $75. I normally maintain my knives on the Sharpmaker, and only use the KO Worksharp when they're butter knife dull.
    https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/204MF/Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker/77

hammerkill and Intolerant like this.
  15. Intolerant

Intolerant

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    pipedreams and hammerkill like this.
  16. BC42

BC42

I have the Knife and Tool version. I practiced on a few cheap folders and it scratched the blades so I ended up getting a KME.

17. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

I received a Ken Onion for Christmas. I have never been able to get a knife really sharp with a stone. I don't own any nice knives but I am getting the hang of sharpening my bucks and gerbers. It works great for what I do with it.

pipedreams likes this.
  18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Never mind - answered twice

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  19. papershoot

papershoot

20. illrooster132

illrooster132

that thing works awesome for cutting tools. just be careful like others said. it rounds off the tips off knives if used wrong.