Ken Burns Country Music, anyone watching

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

sirius xm 60 outlaw country plays quite of bit of Americana. Depends on the DJ of which Americana you get, traditional or rock!

2. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Pretty much around the time Vince Gill got big, C and CW and W lost it's anchor and went on the rocks.

I hope it makes it back to floating again with lots less Cowboy-Rap and Country-Industrial-Fusion stuff. I play a convalescent home and although they are all appreciative, you can see it in their faces when they don't like what we play.

They pretty much reflect the musical genre of the area here in Montana - the exception is the college towns where we don't go - don't play and don't want to.

Actually - that gig originally was a get-together for a bunch of artists and it just turned into a weekly show for the residents - some can walk - some come in in wheel chairs and some we have to go to their rooms since they cannot move at all.

As I see it - it's really hard to draw a line between Appalachian Music, Gospel, Country and Blues.

Western never makes it onto that list, but it occupies some serious acreage with the Rodeo crowd. Spice it with some Cowboy Harmonies and groups like The Sons of The Pioneers and Riders In The Sky.

ithaca_deerslayer and tuica like this.

3. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

:agree:

Well put! I could have posted the same thing. If you would have asked me if I was a fan of country music I would have said no or perhaps given a longer answer that would have defined it better. Regardless, there is a lot of music there I grew up with, know and love.

varget, ithaca_deerslayer and tuica like this.
  4. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Growing up in Amarillo I was surrounded by country western music. I remember being enthralled watching Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner on TV back in 1967 as a 15 year old; I thought she was beautiful (and still do). As a 17 year old I snuck into the old honky tonk lounges on Amarillo boulevard (old Highway 66) to watch Bob Wills. I'm brother in law to Alvin Crow and watched his rise to being a great western swing fiddler in Austin to this day. I've been to several of Willy Nelson's 4th of July picnics in the mid 70's and have had the occasion to get buzzed with him more than once.
    The thing about country western music is that it is a big old tent. There is room for everybody that wants to stick their nose under the flap or just come down front and sit a spell. Nowadays I go to off the wall clubs to see new talent, and go to bluegrass picnics when I can. I listen to Sirius XM because it rankles the hell out of me how AM/FM stations follow shallow play lists.
    I applaud Ken Burns for his skills as a storyteller and documentarian. The series has been great and to me has been a walk down memory lane. Some artists have received scant attention but that's alright if it will lead to folks to seek out more information about them on their own.

ruffhunter, clancy, varget and 2 others like this.
  5. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

We recorded the series and watched the first episode last night. It's great. My wife doesn't know a thing about country music and she's looking up lyrics online and singing along on some of them.

I remember my father singing along to Hank Williams on the radio while he shaved. And the sadness soon after when Hank died.

6. oldengineer

oldengineer

ithaca_deerslayer and varget like this.
  7. mc1911

mc1911

They take a city boy, add a cowboy hat or John Deere cap, a pair of boots and sing about a truck and they are country!

ithaca_deerslayer and ruffhunter like this.
  8. unit1069

unit1069

That must have been in an episode I haven't seen. Last night's episode had some good segments but I came away with the idea that Ken Burns thinks country music after 1960 is principally Johnny Cash and a handful of megastars. With the exception of the incredibly compelling The Civil War my problem with most of Burns' PBS documentaries is that he overtly steers the audience to the personalities and issues Burns wants to focus on. A lot of history and perspective is often disregarded in his works.

9. unit1069

unit1069

I'm not sure when the turn happened, but I quit listening to C&W when so many songs and groups began to sound exactly like contemporary R&R, only with a few tweaks of instrumentation and vocal twang. Another takeaway from last night's episode was that it took a folk artist (Emmy Lou Harris) to highlight just how far away from the country sound Nashville had taken the music. This was one of the sub-themes I thought was presented very well in the movie Tender Mercies.

And in my opinion country swing a la Bob Wills and Asleep at the Wheel fit into a niche alongside the legendary Le Jazz Hot performers Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli in the 1930s-1940s. Listen to Wills and Reinhardt/Grappelli and appreciate that there's little difference in the style except for the repertoire.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANArGmr74u4

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    ruffhunter, reniram and varget like this.
  10. oldengineer

oldengineer

No! No! You also gotta sing about rain, momma, trains, gettin' drunk, and prison to be country. :)
    The perfect country song.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAOVRkSCWmg

mc1911, ruffhunter and varget like this.
  11. reniram

reniram

Democrats, whatcha gonna do?

12. clancy

clancy

He was a Republican. He even cheered when JFK was shot.

13. reniram

reniram

I was being a little tongue in cheek since where I grew up in the south virtually any white person who used the n word was a democrat.