close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

KelTec Sub 2000 gen 2

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by dw6395, Oct 13, 2017.

1. dw6395

dw6395

I just purchased a Keltec sub 2000 gen 2 9mm (glock 19 Mag) as a "fun gun". i will probably give it a try at our clubs next 3 gun rifle segment after a day or two at the range. Do any current gen 2 owners have any tips/opinions. Thanks

JaPes likes this.
  2. MikeLadner

MikeLadner DILLIGAFF?

My buddy just bought one. We fired about 250 rounds through it last weekend without a hiccup. It's very accurate out to 50 yards (thats as far as I can get in the backyard). The recoil feels.. odd to me. All in all a fun gun, thinking about buying one for myself. The sights aren' so great but probably good enough for what the gun is.

janice6 and Old Buzzard 74 like this.

3. dw6395

dw6395

A couple of the reviews I read said the same thing about recoil. may consider some kind of pad after I go for a test run.
    I am not sure about the sights as well. I will give them a try and if I don't like them go to a red dot.

4. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Good luck with yours. Hope you enjoy it.

I just found mine awkward and uncomfortable to shoot for some reason (although others love it). I wound up selling it. Never any problems with accuracy or reliability though.

Old Buzzard 74 likes this.
  5. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

Very accurate and reliable. The rubber tube covers are a good idea.

The sights are terrible. Hard for many people to get comfortable with and they put a steel windage screw in an aluminum housing. By the time you get to 10K, it might be gone, or at least loose enough that it won't keep registration. The front sight is held against the screw with a small spring and it "flips" with every round fired. Easy solution is to sight it in and then flood the pocket with epoxy to make it a "fixed" front sight.

I have one stock for a backpack gun and one we shoot often. Cut off the sights and put a Burris FastFire on the rail. Does great, in fact my 13 year old is shooting it in a match tomorrow. That one is close to 20K rounds on it.

If you like it and are going to keep it, the MCARBO trigger kit is a worthwhile upgrade.

Like any blowback, light bullets with fast powders are going to provide you with the flatest and softest recoil impulse.

Mr.Black likes this.
  6. MikeLadner

MikeLadner DILLIGAFF?

The recoil isn't bad, and follow-up shots are a breeze, I think I was just expecting it to be different than it is.

7. Mr.Black

Mr.Black

Most people hate shooting them and ultimately end up reselling them.

Seems the ones that usually keep them long term either put a laser on or even more commonly abandon the open/peep sight and go to a rail with some kind of red dot sight on a riser.

I went the rail riser red dot route which is much more comfortable.

Another thing for most is that it's near impossible to shoot with ear muffs as they will ride up exposing your ear.

My Sub2k is heavily modified and super fun to shoot. I've been shooting it at our local club steel challenge a lot.

Full MCARBO internals, Red Lion Precision forend. There is lots of cool parts out there for these guns now.

Good luck with yours.

janice6 likes this.
  8. dw6395

dw6395

Thanks for all the comments. Good stuff!

9. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

HUGE improvement over the 1st gen, which I promptly sold after getting a 2nd gen. Love the gun, already have many 9mm Glock mags so that was convenient as well.

[​IMG]

cghelton and Taco Junkie like this.
  10. dw6395

dw6395

What is your opinion of the sights? I am also considering an angled fore grip and plan to make talon rubber grips for the pistol grip. I orders the rubber and charge handle covers.

11. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I couldn't stand the sights and I couldn't get a decent cheek weld, so I went to a Green laser. What a hoot, just as accurate as your eyesight even when shooting from the hip.

I bought a 50 round rotary magazine for mine and it's a ball to play with. I leave it in a briefcase, it seems to fit nicely and is unobtrusive, with a few hundred rounds of ammo in magazines.

Taco Junkie likes this.
  12. Taco Junkie

Taco Junkie Female bicycle seat thief

Love mine and the comments on sights are right. Biggest drawbacks I've found are it's hard to wear over the ear hearing protection and the gas blow back goes directly into your face on each shot. I'm putting on green laser to solve the sights and hearing issue. That should help with the blow back as well.

janice6 likes this.
  13. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

Although the sights were a major upgrade compared to the plastic 1st gen, they still are sub-par. I had an AFG on my 1st gen but ended up removing it after a while, just didn't feel right but ymmv. Enjoy the gun.

14. B C

B C

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  15. billy b

billy b

I have a gen 2 in 40 cal. as others have posted its a strange bird. I also felt the recoil was more than I thought it would be. very difficult to use factory sights & get a good cheek weld. i made my own cheek weld piece, that metal tube against your face can get really cold. I also put a green laser on for daylight outdoor shooting. I will say this, those 40 cal bullets out of the 16'' barrel really hit hard. all in all its a blast to plink with.

Mr.Black likes this.
  16. willieH

willieH

Get an optic and foam pad for your cheek, it makes the gun much more enjoyable to shoot.

[​IMG]

17. cghelton

cghelton

Definitely different, but fun as hell. Mine was very accurate out to 50 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The Faux King

The Faux King Built To Spill

[QUOTE="KennyFSU, post: 24682215, member: 171996".
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

How well does that shoot suppressed? Is the blowback really bad? Did you have to modify anything to make it run reliably?

OP-- you'll have a great time shooting your Sub2k. They are very reliable. I upgraded mine w/ MCarbo internals just for grins. I also bought a Midwest industries swivel optics mount -- it is a great concept but didn't hold zero at all. I ended up returning it to Amazon and now just use the stock sights w/o any problems.

19. Mr.Black

Mr.Black

This thread needs moar Sub 2k pics...........

[​IMG]

20. o2gt

o2gt

really like mine. the sights are hard to use but still accurate as is. nice gun mine has been very reliable so far. I worry some since people bash keltec so much. But i can say I'm happy with mine and think its a great value.