Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
6,084 Posts
I've owned several KelTec products and have nothing but good things to say about them. The OP pistol doesn't ring my bell, but I'm sure that you'll have a good time with it!

Flash

·
Registered
590 Posts
On the planet I am from, that gun would win the award for ugliest and least useful gun of the year. Who thought we needed that. What purpose could it possible serve?

Another meh.
"Meh" is like saying "that's not very interesting." That gun was interesting just for the fact that somebody thought it would be a good idea to build it. Somebody at Kel Tec should be fired.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I want to see the comparison results of weapons from other planets! It would be informative if we could all see these other planetary firearms.👍

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Congrats on your new gun, Rack! I have a gen 1 Sub 2000; the one that uses Glock magazines and it runs great. It rides in a tennis bag in my car trunk with a 33 round magazine and a spare 17 round mag. I really admire George Kellgren, the Swedish born Kel-Tec designer, inventor and founder of the company. He's 79 years old and I hope he has some more designs in him before he leaves us.

·
Registered
129,103 Posts
I bought my PMR30 just for fun. I'm not really a mag dump kind of guy, but the idea of something the size of a Glock 17 with a 30 round standard magazine just sounded like fun. Mine is a more recent vintage and it's been reliable and more accurate than I am. In .22WMR, it even sounds like bad news.
Yeah I had one of those also. KT makes some fun guns, but built like toys, in my opinion.

Innovative for sure, but cheaply built

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
When I first laid eyes on the P50 I was a bit taken back...not because I thought it was revolutionary but because it reminded me of the homemade weapons that were made from cobbled together parts/bailing wire/artificial spit and used by the VC sympathizers during the Vietnam War, some of which I'd be very hesitant to shoot without first donning a full bomb squad suit.

Looks are one thing...but how about it's function and reliability? I've read some complaints about it, but hey, it's a KelTec, not an Ed Brown 1911.

On that note, having had a distasteful experience with a KSG shotgun I swore off KelTec, but here it is 6+ years later and I found myself intrigued by the CP33 as another suppressor host. My NY dealer friend had one that he couldn't sell (thanks NY Safe Act) to the NY serfs, so I asked him about it and he sold it to me for his cost, $435 + shipping/insurance. Despite all the negative rumblings about the difficulty loading the CP33's magazines properly along with the first round failing to chamber, I seem to have avoided both issues. Sure, it's an odd looking POS, but it's lightweight, and much to my surprise it runs like a sewing machine and is actually quite accurate with a Holosun HE507-GR optic mounted, and dare I say it's got better ergonomics than any Glock - which cracks me the F up!

Anyway, I've gotten one of the Rehv Arms Gen3 picatinny rail adapters for it and was planning on using a SIG folding brace, but noticed an issue...the rear of the CP33 pistol extends quite a bit past the rear of the pistol grip, so much so that the measurement from the face of the trigger to the rear of the pistol where the brace attaches to the picatinny mount is approx. 6". Now, the SIG/SB Tactical 1913 mount braces measure 9.6" (polymer brace arm) and 9.25" (aluminum brace arm) respectively, so with the aluminum brace installed to the mount, the LOP is 15.25", and that is 1.75" greater than the 13.5" measurement that ATF "suggests" is the limit of acceptability without being defined as a "stock".

So, my solution to this was a A3 Tactical aluminum offset brace that measures 5.9375" in length that can accept either a Steady Brace or Tailhook Mod1 (with adapter), which will land me at a LOP of a bit less than 12". So this means that there will be no chance of some balloonhead with a bad tape measure giving me grief. Both are on their way ;)

I'll post up some images when it's all together in it's own thread so as not to dilute this thread (too much, LOL).

OP please let us know how it runs after you've sent some downrange, thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,726 Posts
Coolest looking? I am not so sure. But a cool little project? Yeah. That looks fun! Perhaps not practical, but certainly fun.

I like KelTec's creativity. I have a P3-AT, and while I do NOT consider it a work of art, it was insanely innovative, and fills a tiny carry niche. Some of his other guns (folding stocks, etc.) have put new ideas out.

Sadly, this iteration breaks the typical mold for KelTec for me. Usually they are very inexpensive toys. They may not have first tier polish or panache, but they were fun toys due to innovation and low cost to play with them.

50 rounds? Cool! Sideways magazine (ala FN PS90)? Also cool! Price? Enough to prevent me from diving in. But I do respect KelTec for the ongoing attempts to create new products and promote slightly different takes and ideas on modern firearms. I cannot think of another company that chooses to take these risks and dabble in these concepts the way they do!

Reactions: SpringerTGO

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Most American firearms manufacturers seem to be using the same recipe for "new" designs. Shorten the barrel on an AR, use a different muzzle brake or handguard, and they have the new improved model. How about a rail on a 1911? Or a red dot sight, or a new pattern for checkering? Completely new and improved! Or import a new and improved BHP from Turkey.
It's great Keltec is actually trying to do things differently.

·
Banned
31 Posts
On the planet I am from, that gun would win the award for ugliest and least useful gun of the year. Who thought we needed that. What purpose could it possible serve?

"Meh" is like saying "that's not very interesting." That gun was interesting just for the fact that somebody thought it would be a good idea to build it. Somebody at Kel Tec should be fired.
we have our first nominee for the Glocktalk 'douchiest commment of the thread' award

·
Registered
264 Posts
That thing is fugly AF.

That said beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Any KelTec P50 owners? I love the way this gun looks!

Me with it at the shop doin’ paperwork for it…I’m excited and made a group for it on fb but noticed other KelTec P50 owners complaining about jamming but then sayin’ it’s fixed with later gens or send backs to KelTec…either way I’m keepin’ this gun…KelTec has a lifetime warranty anyway…

OMG , look at how many screws/bolts holds it together . I counted at least 12 on one side. There may be more I cant see. Too many pieces and parts for me .

·
Registered
6,122 Posts

Assuming it runs, this would be perfect for someone small and/or inexperienced, if you were to brace/SBR it. 50 rounds of zero recoil, shouldered, with optics, using a centered cartridge (meaning reliably igniting) would greatly benefit someone like that. Not for me, or most people here, but I can at least fathom a purpose.

·
Banned
28,223 Posts

It's an option to the P90. A compact, high capacity pistol with ammo that can defeat soft armor. It was such a good idea that FN made a really cool capable gun and other companies have started getting on board with the caliber.

My latest Keltec..

Photograph Air gun Trigger Ammunition Revolver

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
It's an option to the P90. A compact, high capacity pistol with ammo that can defeat soft armor. It was such a good idea that FN made a really cool capable gun and other companies have started getting on board with the caliber.

My latest Keltec..

View attachment 1077849
Man that steel is dope!!!…What kind of optic are you runnin’???…Looks like a Swamp Fox…

21 - 40 of 45 Posts