GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Huge Member
10,939 Posts
My P32 has been reliable for the 20 years I've had it. Having said that, there is nothing the P32 can do that a P3AT or LCP can't do better. They are only minimally larger, just as easy to carry.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I bought a 32 Seecamp when they came out (one year waiting on it). The when the P32 came out, and it had SIGHTS(!), I bought one and put up the Seecamp (no sights!). The P3AT came out. I tried it and hated it. Substantially more recoil. Went back to the P32. It started to rust because I carried inside the pants with the clip, and I sweat profusely (and my sweat is very acidic). I had it refinished in "Black T", which solved that problem. Still shoots great. I love it for what it is: a reliable mousegun, which you can conceal virtually anywhere.
Now I also have a S&W Bodyguard, which is my favorite 380, but it is still a little larger.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I've got an acquaintance who straps on an ankle holster with a P32 every time he wears long pants (much of the winter months in AZ). He let me shoot it once and I was pleasantly surprised; plenty accurate at 15 feet or so and hardly any recoil. It's a gun that's often intrigued me. He shoots FMJs in his and has never had a hiccup that I'm aware of.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,094 Posts
amd65 said:
if you get to heaven, you can ask John Browning why he designed the 32acp that way.

Ha, ha, ha.
Wonder why he did. I'm sure there is a story there. Are .380 and .45 identical in design to each other? Did the .32 come first?

Wonder some extraction issue he was designing for, then figured a better way. But if the .32 came last of those 3 then a whole new mystery.

That Luger guy seemed to get the 9mm right :)

(Not really a caliber comment, just only referring to the shell and function in the gun).
The 32 auto was designed with a semi-rim so that it could be chambered in small revolvers. The Browning 38 ACP, which the 38 Super was based, was designed with the same dual-use capability but I don't know if any such revolvers were ever produced.

The 32 Auto can be fired in any gun chambered for 32 long, 32 H&R, and even 327 Federal and has enough of a rim to facilitate extraction.

As I mentioned earlier, I've fired 32 auto in a Walther PP, a Beretta Tomcat, and a Keltec P32 and never experience any feeding problems. However, with the Walther and the Beretta, I only fired 50 rounds or less, where with the Kel-tec, I used to fire anywhere from 50 to a hundred round every month or two for several years and never had a single problem.

·
Huge Member
10,939 Posts
32 acp - 1899
45 acp - 1904
25 acp - 1905
380 acp - 1908

The 25 acp is also semi-rimmed so maybe the smaller cartridges don't have enough for the extractor to grab if they are rimless.
Interesting. Didn't realize those cartridges have been around so long particularly the 32 acp.

Reactions: Gray_Rider

·
Huge Member
10,939 Posts
The 32 auto has come a long way from old school to new school.

My Colt '03 hammerless and my Keltec P32

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
This is a P3AT pictured but wanted to show the grip cover I made. I dont like the recoil, nor the grip of this gun. Its an inner tube with some quarter inch self adhesive padding. I like it a lot better than the original.

20200817_133202.jpg

20200817_133149.jpg

Reactions: MinervaDoe

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
That look
This is a P3AT pictured but wanted to show the grip cover I made. I dont like the recoil, nor the grip of this gun. Its an inner tube with some quarter inch self adhesive padding. I like it a lot better than the original.

View attachment 812220 View attachment 812220 View attachment 812222
That looks very functional. I actually went the opposite way and UNDID some rubber grips. On my 642 I took the rubber grips off and replaced them with some old wood ones, which had a similar shape (not the little pinkie-sized original ones) to keep the grip smooth and not tacky. It is MUCH less pleasant to shoot, but I carry it much more than I shoot it. It has been shot enough that am both fully confident in it, as well as my capabilities with it (over 1000 rounds). I also reduced the left side in order to have better access for my speed loader (even though I normally use Speed Strips).

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
One of the great things about the P32 is how incredibly thin it is.
I picked mine up off Armslist, and it came with a Pachmayr grip sleeve. It was ok, but it did make the grip wider.
So I put a Tractiongrips stick on rubber grip on it, and I like it a lot...
It’s on the P32 in the pic I posted.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The 32 auto was designed with a semi-rim so that it could be chambered in small revolvers. The Browning 38 ACP, which the 38 Super was based, was designed with the same dual-use capability but I don't know if any such revolvers were ever produced.

The 32 Auto can be fired in any gun chambered for 32 long, 32 H&R, and even 327 Federal and has enough of a rim to facilitate extraction.

As I mentioned earlier, I've fired 32 auto in a Walther PP, a Beretta Tomcat, and a Keltec P32 and never experience any feeding problems. However, with the Walther and the Beretta, I only fired 50 rounds or less, where with the Kel-tec, I used to fire anywhere from 50 to a hundred round every month or two for several years and never had a single problem.
While some cheap pocket revolvers, mainly European, were eventually chambered in 32acp, that was not why the cartridge had a semi-rim.
The cartridge was specifically designed for the Browning FN 1900, and I’m not aware that Browning ever gave its use in a revolver any consideration.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I’ve only put a few hundred thru mine but zero malfunctions. I just shoot fmj Fiocchi most of the time, seems to be a bit warmer than domestic .32acp.
If you look at the rim of Fiocchi vs Magtec or S&B it’s got a bit more of a taper to it, that’s one big reason I use it although I’ve never had rimlock from any .32acp.
It’s got way less kick than a P3AT, I actually take my P32 out to the range and enjoy the practice. Holds one more round, weighs less loaded than a P3AT and has last round hold open. Trigger is typically long but predictable & not heavy. I’m surprised no one’s tried to copy it, this is truly a pocket gun.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,094 Posts
While some cheap pocket revolvers, mainly European, were eventually chambered in 32acp, that was not why the cartridge had a semi-rim.
The cartridge was specifically designed for the Browning FN 1900, and I’m not aware that Browning ever gave its use in a revolver any consideration.
Ok, then why DID the 32 ACP, teh 25 ACP and the 38 ACP have semi-rims? The 38 ACP was specifically designed for the Browning-designed Colt Model 1900 which was a different gun than the FN 1900.

What similarities did the FN 1900 and the Colt 1900 have that necessitated the semi-rim?

And as far as the dual use, there wee many oddball small caliber revolvers produce in the early 1900's such as the French 5.7 Velo dog revolver which might also explain the semi-rim on the 25 ACP since The Velo Dog pistol was also available in 25 ACP.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Some have mentioned 'rim lock'. Stick with FMJ and you'll be fine. If you're going to use HP then search 'flyer wire'

I've got ISP problems right now, or I'd post a link.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve had two, a first gen one and a second gen, I like the second gen a little better. The first gen model has better milling and sights but I wasn’t crazy about the dovetailed front guide rod hole, very small and easy to lose, never really sure why they did that but both gens that I had fired everything I loaded it with. Great gun all around.
Living in Florida is the absolute best small light easy to use and carry gun all year around. I trade a lot of handguns and wish like crazy I didn’t trade them away cause they are somewhat hard to find, even though they are made here in state.
If you have a chance to buy one I’d highly recommend one. Even though we love our glocks they don’t carry like a p32. And I also think 32 acp is a fine caliber for SD.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Ok, then why DID the 32 ACP, teh 25 ACP and the 38 ACP have semi-rims? The 38 ACP was specifically designed for the Browning-designed Colt Model 1900 which was a different gun than the FN 1900.

What similarities did the FN 1900 and the Colt 1900 have that necessitated the semi-rim?

And as far as the dual use, there wee many oddball small caliber revolvers produce in the early 1900's such as the French 5.7 Velo dog revolver which might also explain the semi-rim on the 25 ACP since The Velo Dog pistol was also available in 25 ACP.

Again, browning designed these cartridges for his automatic pistols. He did not design them for dual use in revolvers. Remember, this was cutting edge technology. I’m sure there were fudds who didn’t trust the newfangled auto pistols, and thought a revolver chambered for the “hot new load” would be the bees knees.
I have read that Browning preferred the semi-rim. Perhaps there was uncertainty that cartridges could be made uniformly enough to headspace on the case mouth, by the millions. Also, when you look at really old cartridges in these calibers, the bullet is pretty heavily crimped into the case.
In any case, the semi-rim does not cause problems in a properly designed magazine, unless the cartridge is so short that it permits it.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts