close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kel-Tec vs. Ruger

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by dalegates, Mar 10, 2010.

1. dalegates

dalegates

Does anyone know (or have an opinion) about the Ruger LCP .380's vs. the Kel-Tec? They are very similar, and I would appreciate some thoughts on which way to go.

2. G26Okie

G26Okie

Well I had an LCP. I put 155 rounds through it with no problem, and sold it to a friend.

The fit and finish are the main differences, with the LCP being the much better finished of the 2, and the LCP has a Glock like extractor.

If I had to do it again, I would go with the LCP all the way. It doesn't cost that much more and you get some piece of mind.

3. GAFinch

GAFinch

They're the same thing. After you first find some ammo, buy whichever one the store has in stock.

4. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

It can be summed up-
    Ruger, sleaker, prettier, well finished
    Keltec, Rougher finish, better trigger, easier to shoot.

That's about it. Bout the same gun really.

5. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Gator summed it up.

If I had to make the choice then I would be stuck just like you. :tongueout:
    I might go with the Kel-Tec for the lower cost though.

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

7. Armed to the teeth!

Armed to the teeth!

yep I agree with Gator. I went with the kel tec picked it up last night I'm very impressed with how acurate I shot it for being the first time. Also the trigger feels better than the lcp. I heard the lcp was not as acurate don't know if that's true or not it could just be the long trigger pull.

8. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

I've had a Kel-Tec for some time now. I just bought a Taurus 738 and I like the fit and finish more than most .380's I've seen. I just don't like the disassembly process.

Once I get a CT for it, this will be my new pocket carry.

9. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

I've had both.

Kel Tec P3AT was a jam-o-matic. Jammed up at least once or twice every 3rd magazine or so. Had to literally be dripping with oil to run flawless. Nothing but problems with it.

Ruger LCP has been a workhorse, no problems (except for some bad Hornady CD ammo, bad primers...not the gun's fault).

That new S&W bodyguard .380 looks sharp - coming out this summer I think, built in laser.

10. venenoindy

venenoindy

found the perfect CCW (IMO) S&W340SC but still want a Ruger LCP, if I get the chance I would buy the Ruger.

11. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

I've owned two P3AT's. I like the 2nd gen better with its improved slide feel. I almost bought a Ruger LCP late last year but in comparing it to my P3AT, the Kel-Tec had a better trigger and for my purposes, fit my needs a little better. But these two guns are really close.

12. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

They are pretty much the same thing with the Ruger being more refined. Sort of like a Glock and a S&W Sigma.

13. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Although the Ruger looks more refined, I have found the KT to be easier to shoot more accurately because of the rougher finish. I can actually feel the Ruger slipping around in my hand when I shoot it. The KT kicks the same, but I don't have to re-grip it every time I shoot.

14. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Yep. Same experience here shooting many of them side by side.
    The keltec is much easier to hold onto. I like the looks of the LCP,
    but for defensive purposes I don't want a gun shifting around with
    slick sides. That is the main reason I sold all my LCP's.

15. 17z

17z

I dont have either one. I have the better Ruger for carrying,Ruger SP101,2.25 inch barrel in .357/.38 thats does real well with no ftfs,fte,jams,and recalls. 17z

16. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

After trying those, here is my thoughts

1. P3at = Rough & cheap looking, unreliable trigger, Rough Recoil, and often malfunctioned
    2. LCP = Smooth & Sleek, Rough trigger, Rough Recoil, and never malfunctioned
    3. TCP = Smooth & Sleek, Smooth trigger, Rough but smoothest recoil of the 3, better grip, and never malfunctioned.

In the end, I settled on the TCP, but regardless of which you get they all have a recoil that feels like you're getting kicked in the crotch.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  17. neilsmth

neilsmth

Ditto the above. I had a KT for about 5 years and abandoned her for the Ruger when they came out. Never liked it, too harsh and slippery. Back to the KT til the TCP came out. That's the one in my pocket now and it has better trigger and softer recoil than either of the others.

18. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I honestly never thought that I would hear P3AT and "better trigger" in the same sentence. Don't get me wrong. I own one and I even like the little devil, but it has a very loooong and haaaard trigger pull. If the LCP trigger is worse then Ruger has accomplished something remarkable.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  19. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

:rofl:

Honestly, I've tried both and realizing just how difficult both triggers are to pull, I've decided not to get either one. Not hate'n on either, but they're just not my thing.

20. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I've shot the LCP and the Kel Tec, but only held a TCP that I never fired. I'd skip the Kel Tec for the Ruger any day. The Kel Tec is the ugliest POS ever made by man. The toolmakers who built the mold it pops out of, were butchers. Really hard to believe a gun company would let bad toolmakers curse a gun with such ugliness, but they did.

As for how both guns feel in your hand, the LCP is greatly improved with the finger extension installed on it's mag. Without it, the Kel Tec actually feels a little better because it's grip is about 1/16 inch longer, and bulges outward in the middle - just enough to make a difference - but the extension on the LCP more than makes up for that.

The Taurus TCP, like the LCP, also looks good on the outside, and it feels the best in your hand of the three, because it's grip tapers outward in thickness by about 1/16 of an inch toward the bottom end. I know that doesn't sound like much, but the gun feels a lot better than the other two by a mile. I can't wait to shoot one. Assuming it's as reliable as the LCP, (and I still don't know if it is or not) that's the one I'd get, but I have a feeling the Ruger might be the most well made (internally) of the three. I Don't want to turn this into a Taurus-knocking thread, but I'm just less suspicious about the accuracy of Ruger's machining.