Kel-Tec RFB

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by buyobuyo, Feb 10, 2010.

1. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

I was just curious if anyone has bought one or gotten a chance to shoot one, and what your thoughts are. I'm intrigued by the design. Also the fact that it's truly ambidextrous, since I'm a lefty.

2. space_weazel

space_weazel

I keep seeing people online with them but I cant find anywhere that has them in stock, it's wired.

3. Maddcat1

Maddcat1

I'm 20 mins from KT HQ and I havent seen one either. Ah, the Elusive RFB :supergrin:

4. Reb 56

Reb 56

Don't think I'd trust a Kel-Tec Rifle for that kind of cash. Nice concept but KT isn't known for well built Pistols.

5. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I like the idea, and I would love to shoot one. IMO, the price is about double what the gun seems to be worth.

6. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  7. HiVelSword

HiVelSword Sweetn the ride

Yeah, that's exactly why they sell a lot of firearms. :upeyes:

8. 1time

1time Lifetime Member

They have only put a few hundred on the market and only to select distributors. They are gearing new tooling and tweaking the rifle a bit before they start full production. I am buying the first one I see that isn't twice the MSRP.

9. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I admit that I like the idea and would like to have one myself.

10. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll keep my eyes open. Hopefully, I can pick one up in the not too distant future. I'm thinking either the 18" or 24" model, but the 24" version might not materialize for awhile.

11. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I like the design and the ergonomics of it. I got to fondle one extensively at the SHOT Show a month ago. Using FAL mags is a great choice also. HOWEVER, there is no way it's a $2000 rifle. While they deserve some kudos to their R&D team, it is simply not of the same quality as a DSA FAL in that same price range, or even a PTR-91. In my opinion, the quality of manufacture is more in line with a $1200-$1500 price tag.

12. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

Which is where they are supposed to be selling once production ramps up. It's not KT's fault that people are willing to pay what some of the dealers are asking for them. Then again, supply and demand will dictate price.

13. NVMYGlock

NVMYGlock

I saw a video from shot show 2010 on Nutnfancy's youtube review site about Kel Tec. The guy from Kel Tec that Nutnfancy was interviewing said that they do not have storage of firearms. They build them and as soon as they are complete, out the door they go to dealers or distributors which is why their popular firearms are harder to find.

14. fwm

fwm

I have 7 of them, and while I admit they are not pretty, they all function just as well as the other pistols I own, and at about half the price. I don't care what somebody else 'knows', from the experience I have had with Kel-Tec's products, I put in an order for one as soon as they came out. Unfortunately that was Feb 5, 2009 and I have yet to see it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  15. 03 Jarhead

03 Jarhead Stiff Member

:agree:

16. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Their MSRP is $1880. I know there are dealers selling them for more than that, but even at 10% under that I don't think you get your money's worth.

I'm not anti-Keltec, but I think the RFB is priced very high for what it is. That's my opinion based on the three I examined at SHOT. The design looks great, but the fit and finish is not consistent with other products in that price range.

17. boozer

boozer

I'm not sold on the bull pup design. I understand its compact, but if something catastrophic happens it would be right next to your face. I can't imagine an overcharged .308 going off by my cheek.

I bought a DPMS LR308B for half that price. I might pay a small premium for the maneuverability of the shorter RFB, or if I was a lefty the forward ejection might be nice.

I would still like to see one.

18. blhar15

blhar15

I have one but have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I like the design and it looks like a solid platform. Yes, price is a bit high, but as with all new guns eventually that will come down. Still not as bad as a FN SCAR.

19. Puppy

Puppy

I was pretty excited about buying one when I first read about them, unfortunately the sticker shock has kept that from happening.

20. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

Let us know how you like it when you get a chance to shoot it.