close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kel Tec Rant

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ahw12586, Dec 31, 2009.

1. ahw12586

ahw12586

I bought a new Kel Tec P3AT in blued steel in August and only fired 100 rounds. Most people complain about jamming, but my gun has had no issues with that. My biggest complaint is how poor the rust and corrosion resistance is on all of Kel Tecs pistols. At first I was really satisfied with a jam free gun that only cost me $300, but after one month I started a weekly battle trying to control rust and corrosion with the parts inside the gun, spending lots of money on new cleaning supplies and lube. It has become really high maintenence. I would rather spend an extra $125 on a NAA Guardian 380 than a gun that already had signs of rust out of the box, no joke. Kel Tec has very poor quality control, I saw a brand new PF-9 at my local gun store in hard chrome and was supprised to see it not sell, so I looked at it. There was a big ding on the slide, no wonder it didn't sell. Kel Tec really needs to get their act together, it's cool that their guns are very affordable, but I'm getting really annoyed with the extremely poor fininsh on their guns. Anyone else feel the same way?
    How much do you guys think the gun would get me if I traded it in towards a better finished 380 like a NAA Guardian?

2. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

both the p3at and LCP have crappy finishes. I cannot believe people daily carry
    them with no rust.
    I have owned more than I can count, and I always get a new finish immediately.
    Both of my Keltecs are nickel, which doesn't rust at all. It's a great finish, and cost a whopping $50.

3. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

4. frankmako

frankmako

all you need is some mil tec oil. put it on heat it up and she will not rust. well my p3at has not and in the summer my gets wet several times a week when i am working on the farm. i just take it out of the pocket holster and wipe it off the out sides. when i clean it i will redo the mil tec oil/heat thing, all parts inside and out. i use a shop light to heat the metal parts. it has work well for me. at first i did not think it would work, but it did and has for several years.

5. Mercedesrover

Mercedesrover

Should have spent the extra $50 and got hard chrome. I barely clean mine at all. I pull it apart every few weeks or so and clean the dust and crud out of it, grease it again and forget about it.

6. ladman

ladman

Dude, what were you expecting for the price?? If you don't like them, then go to something else or keep it clean and dry. It's a self defense weapon and nothing more and I would have thought you would have known what you were buying before you bought it, as in research. The internet is an amazing thing.

7. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I don't know what you are talking about. I had a Kel-Tec P3At for well over a year before I sold it to get a Ruger LCP and I have never seen a bit of rust on either one. Are you bathing them in water or something? If you are one of those people that cleans their guns using water, you have to make sure and get every single drop of water out of every crevice of the gun. Compressed air is about the only way to do that effectively.

8. ladman

ladman

Exactly. I have never had one iota of a problem with rust on the P3AT I used to have, or the PF9 I presently carry, IWB, every day. I clean and lube it when I shoot it, which is maybe once a month.

9. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

I understand your frustration, but it's a Kel-Tec. I wouldn't carry a Kel-Tec or NAA on a bet, unless that's all I had. Lube heavy, or move up to a nicer gun.

10. bcmclane

bcmclane

I carried a P3AT every day for about 4 years without a spec of rust showing up. I know that some people cause firearms to rust more than others, but I firmly believe that with proper maintenance it won't happen. What do you use on your firearms during cleaning? Do you wipe the exterior metal parts down with anything? I use Amsoil MP as a final treatment on exterior metal on all of my firearms and have never had a problem. You could try waxing those parts as well. Flitz makes a firearms wax. I have some and am not impressed. Car wax works very well.

11. dne752

dne752 Mad Catter

I pocket carry my LCP every day. I live in Houston where the humidity is always high. My LCP even goes out on the boat in Galveston Bay with me when I go fishing. There's not a speck of rust or corrosion anywhere on the pistol. I keep the LCP clean and wipe it down but it doesn't get any extra attention that my other guns don't receive. I use CLP or Tetra Lube to lubricate my guns.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  12. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

There was a guy over on the KelTec website who would hardchrome your slide at a very reasonable price.
    The OP may have very corrosive perspiration, or lives in the rain forest, or both. Haven't had a problem with the finish on my LCP, but the 340 went back to Smith for a refinish on some frame corrosion from carrying IWB.
    Moon

13. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I sent the slide out and had it refinished this exact reason.

14. Caver 60

Caver 60

I've had my first generation for over 6 years, the second generation about 2 years. About 3,000 rounds through the first gen, over 500 thru the second gen. Both are the standard black factory finish, except some of it has worn off now from daily carry.

Carry one of them just about every day. Not a speck of rust on either of them. I do take them out of my pocket when I'm going to be sweating extra heavy. But ordinary sweating I don't worry about. I clean them about once every two or three months, whether they need it or not. I use Lucas gun oil on everything internal and external and axle grease on high pressure contact points. They might get an exterior wipe down with the Lucas once a month if they're lucky, or if they've really been exposed to hard rain or unusual sweat.

They never fail to go bang, both are 100% reliable.

By the way a friend of mine had to send a S&W back because his sweat ate a hole in the Scandium (SP?) frame. Some people might just have an unusual composition of things in their sweat?

15. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

Kel-tec offers those gun in parkarized and hard chrome finishes as well. Of course there are also slick aftermarket finish options (which would cost probably half again as much as the gun). I thought blued P3at's were around $250 or less? For $300 you should have been able to get a hard chromed one.

16. FEDLEO

FEDLEO I'm the rootenist tootenist shootenist

That's not a bad idea who did you use?

17. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

18. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

I use Militec-1 grease for my P3AT and PF-9. I live in high humidity Louisiana and have never had any rust problems.

19. MorkBork

MorkBork

20. TNGlockman

TNGlockman NRA Member

I'd send it back and have them refinish it.

You'd probably be lucky to get $200 for your used KT if you trade it in, so you'd might as well try and get it either re-blued or maybe even buy a chrome or parkerized slide from them.