Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
19,026 Posts
What is your opinion about kel-tec pmr-30 using 22 wmr for self defense?
First, it's important to realize that just because it's a 22 "Magnum" doesn't mean it develops the same magnum ballistics out of a pistol barrel as a 22 Magnum does out of a rifle barrel.

Out of a pistol barrel the 22 magnum has the same ballistics with a 40 grain bullet out of a 4.3 inch pistol barrel as a 22 Long rifle has out of an 18 inch rifle barrel, but neither a Ruger 10-22 OR a Kel tec PMR 30 is much good for concealed carry especially when there are even more compact pistols in much more effective calibers available for that purpose.

For home defense, either a 10-22 or a pmr-30 would be marginally adequate but the 10-22 with a 25 round mag would probably be more reliable. The Kel-tec CMR30 carbine with the collapsible stock might be even better for that purpose if you could get it to run reliably.

Out of the 16 inch carbine barrel you'd be getting close to 1900 fps with a 40 grain JHP. Out of the 4.3 inch barrel you'd get about 1250 with the same 22 magnum ammo.

Kel tec could improve the ballistics of the PMR30 considerably by offering a 6 or seven inch barrel for the gun. that would give you closer to 15-1600 fps.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
If it is easy to clear a FTF, FTE or double feed, then I don’t see why not.

Not everyone can handle recoil.

Not everyone can afford an expensive gun.

Even out of an North American Arms revolver the 22 WMR/Magnum can have 12 inches of penetration.

The capacity and ease of firing will be more than capable with proper shot placement.

The CAVEAT for me is the reliability of Rimfire ammunition. If it’s old, gets wet or just because, it may not ignite. I’d personally feel more comfortable with a revolver because I can just pull the trigger again. If it happens in a semiautomatic then you have to be able to clear that failure.

If you want more reliability with a low recoil gun, the consider the Ruger 57 or FN 5.7 mm. Only caveat is the price of ammunition and cost of the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
rip "Bud"
10,488 Posts
I have both and would use either for SD if needed. But I have smaller packages that will do the job, too.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts

Not everyone can handle recoil.

Not everyone can afford an expensive gun.

Even out of an North American Arms revolver the 22 WMR/Magnum can have 12 inches of penetration.

The capacity and ease of firing will be more than capable with proper shot placement.

The CAVEAT for me is the reliability of Rimfire ammunition. If it’s old, gets wet or just because, it may not ignite. I’d personally feel more comfortable with a revolver because I can just pull the trigger again. If it happens in a semiautomatic then you have to be able to clear that failure.

If you want more reliability with a low recoil gun, the consider the Ruger 57 or FN 5.7 mm. Only caveat is the price of ammunition and cost of the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Mine wasn't reliable with a full mag. If I load 25 rounds only, it runs perfect. I sold it to finance a 1911 build.
I would rather get the CMR30, though. Better .22 mag performance on a rifle.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
No thanks. Centerfire for self defense is my general rule, starting at 9MM.

Now that's what I plan to use. If I had a 22 in my hand and needed something right then and there I would certainly use it, but I wouldn't plan on using it for defense ahead of time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a PMR-30. Mine has proven reliable with multiple types of ammo. With one exception, Winchester Wildcats, I haven't experienced weak or dud rounds, or failures to function. As far as carry, Speer Gold Dots would be my choice. Haven't tried Hornady Critical Defense.

Is 22 enough? Best comment I have ever read about the subject is 'I've seen large men run away from hornets'.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I shot my buddies and it was very, very accurate plus shot any ammo we ran thru it. He is 72 and his PMR-30 resides on his night stand. Kind of thinking about buying one for myself. If I do I doubt it will do night stand duty.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I think it is a viable option. The biggest problem I see is the trigger being very light compared to my Glock. It is also very loud! I carry mine while hiking. The 10-22 is worth some thought.

·
Registered
126,359 Posts
I think it is a viable option. The biggest problem I see is the trigger being very light compared to my Glock. It is also very loud! I carry mine while hiking. The 10-22 is worth some thought.
It’s not loud compared to legit SD rounds. It’s only loud because people think they can shoot them with no ear protection.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I think there is over 100 years of experience that says don't use it if you have something better. If money is a big problem buy a Hi-Point 9mm. They don't get a lot of love but they seem to work. There are many inexpensive shotguns that would be great for home defense. I would not feel unarmed with a .22 but there are so many better choices.

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
It’s not. If you don’t load the mags carefully and Perfectly every time, rimlock will happen. To get the gun running again, you have to rip the mag out (which will proceed to puke two or 3 rounds out the top), rack slide, and hope the rest of your mag isn’t locked up all the way down. That was my experience at least.

If I was to frail too run a real caliber, would get a S&W EZ 380. If I was too broke, I’d get literally almost any other gun than a PMR 30.

Not all guns have to be carried, and the PMR 30 makes an enjoyable range toy (until the novelty wears off)

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
The answer is yes, but it begs a second question..."is X good for SD, as compared to Y"?.

If I owned one and woke up to breaking glass with that gun loaded would I use it? Yes. 26 little whackers (I don't load mags to capacity as a general rule) flying down a hallway will give an opponent a problem.

But if you ask the secondary question, as others have pointed out, there are many other and better options.

Just my $.02.

·
19,026 Posts
Which means it’s not fine

As a general rule, I feel rimfire automatics aren’t reliable enough for SD, not yo mention underpowered with subpar bullet design.
Rimfire automatic pistols are habitually problematic but I've never seen a Ruger 10-22 rifle that wasn't 100 percent reliable.

If I were someone that couldn't afford a decent 9mm handgun for home defense or could not rack the slide on a semi-auto or was not skilled with a handgun, I would look no further than a 10-22 with a factory 25 round magazine loaded with CCI Velocitors.

And I would chose that over a S&W 380 EZ.

·
Registered
32,488 Posts
I considered it at one point but when 9mm ammo is about the same as .22mag it wasn't worth the effort.

Now if someone had recoil issues and could spend the time to make sure it was reliable, ok. Think grandma living alone but young enough to get out and shoot reasonably often.

If you can handle 9mm, don't bother.

Reactions: NMG26
1 - 20 of 36 Posts