close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kel tec p3at

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Armed to the teeth!, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Armed to the teeth!

Armed to the teeth!

I want a mouse gun and I'm thinking about buying a p3at tomorrow. This will be my first pocket gun. The smallest gun I own is a G26 I love it but it's too big for pocket carry. So my question is should I go with the kel tec? any kel tec owners out there that could help me decide? I like the finish of the lcp but I much prefer the trigger on the kel tec also how light in weight it is. I'm thinking of getting the hard chrome with a black frame. I really like my glocks and do not want to get the kel tec and be disaponted. Any input will be appreciated thanks.

2. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

I have one and love it, no failures. No bigger than my wallet.

3. bac1023

bac1023

I've had one for many years and its been great.

4. Armed to the teeth!

Armed to the teeth!

Thanks scared of zombies. I keep hearing that you either love em or hate them. If I do get it I hope I have good luck with it. I plan on doing the fluff and buff right away to insure it feeds reliably. I all ready got the go ahead from the wife who likes the way it looks and also plans on shooting it. Just have to make up my mind since it will be the only pistol that I buy for a long while.

5. Armed to the teeth!

Armed to the teeth!

So far so good. Glad to hear you like it as well Bac.

6. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

Yup, I bought mine used from a pawn shop (less than 300 after taxes etc.) for times when a g30 was just too big. I did a minor smoothing/polishing of the feed ramp and it will even feed empty casings from the mag every time.

I have begun using remington grease (in the syringe) instead of oil and it feels much smoother when hand cycling.

The regular blued finish is holding up very well seeing as it is against my skin every day in the gym.

The only drawback is that I have no pride of ownership for the thing, dont know why though, and I dont like the idea of a .380 for multiple assailants. I also don't like that the slide doesn't lock back after the last shot as I end up dry firing it at the range a lot.

When I get more money I plan on adding a Pm-9 to the mix as it is only a little bigger but packs more punch.

7. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

Oh, and a cheap uncle mike size 10 iwb w/ clip is a great holster for very little money (<$15).

And get the finger extension (<$15) as you get a much better hold on the gun.

8. tydefan05

tydefan05

I got a Sig P238...can't praise it enough.

9. Caver 60

Caver 60

Got two P3AT's.

A first generation about 6 or 7 years old and a second generation about 2 years or less old. World of difference at the beginning. Although both are now 100 percent.

The first generations were notorious for very serious problems, and I had my share before I got it running 100 percent. But once I got it running 100 percent, it's been flawless for thousands of rounds. Fortunately I'm a fair 'jack leg' gunsmith and enjoy tinkering with them.

The second generation only had one VERY small problem at the beginning. It would occasionally hang a round about 1/2 way into the chamber. I traced it to a rough edge on the bottom of the extractor. Took care of that and it's had zero problems for the last 1,000 rounds or so.

I did do a fluff and buff on both, although on the second generation I only did a light fluff an buff, and it really didn't need that. I put 200 rounds through it before doing the fluff and buff and fixed the extractor within the first 50 rounds.

It's my always with me pistol. I don't like the pocket clip. I'm a STRONG advocate of never carry ANYTHING without a proper holster.

I also have three Kahr's and a Mil Pro PT145, among others. I usually have one of these with me, as well as one of the P3AT's in the right front pants pocket with a Nemesis holster. That P3AT almost never comes out of my pocket except to change pants or shoot it.

I stocked up on 380 ammo well before Obama was elected, so I can still practice. I do buy some replacement ammo occasionally, when I can find it.

10. ronin.45

ronin.45

As much as I am not a Kel-tec fan, I like the P3AT. I've known so many customers at my range and personal friends that have them and love them. As a rule they run well and are surprisingly accurate. I used a buddy's to clean a table at our local bowling pin match(40'). I would get one except I hate new calibers. I shoot 9mm and .45ACP only. The hard chrome is definitely the way to go, it will protect it in your pocket.

11. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

I have had many. So take it for what it is worth.
    Also many LCP's. 4 of them to be exact. Bought one of the first ones shipped in
    the state of Florida, before 90% of this board or even gunstores had even heard
    of them. I have had several chromed, and several keltecs nickeled.

I sold the LCP's and bought more Keltecs.
    I have shot them side by side. That is the true test.
    The keltec has a shorter trigger, not by much but it makes a huge difference.
    The keltec has a rougher body, some look down on it because of that, but
    the reality is it makes shooting a .380 much easier to hold onto.
    The Keltec sits a bit higher in the hand than the LCP which is also better for control
    on follow up shots.
    Best of all it doesn't move around a lot. The rough checkering really helps
    in control.
    The mags also fit tighter and fit flusher as well on the p3at.
    The lCP while cosmetically better, squirms around when wet or sweaty and the
    super long trigger pull is bothersome.
    I have no problems at all, period, with the 2nd generation keltecs. They run like
    clockwork. Any problems you hear about is likely older 1st generation guns.
    So good choice, and good luck.

12. bcmclane

bcmclane

Gator nailed it. Great post and overall assessment.

13. Armed to the teeth!

Armed to the teeth!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm getting ready to go purchase it as we speak. Taking my 5 year old son with. Who gets very exited to go to he shop/ range. I still have not yet started teaching him to shoot. I'm waiting till he gets a little older but he loves to go because you could see the indoor range trough these thick bullet resistance windows plus you could hear the pops. Yep he's definetly going to be a future responsible gun owner/shooter.

14. Line Rider

Line Rider

I got one. It's an American Express gun , "I never leave home without it."

15. gordo993

gordo993

Diamondback DB380. At least go look at one and hold it, before committing to the Kel-Tec.

I sold my P3AT for the DB380 and couldn't be happier...

16. FAS1

FAS1

+1

I usually ankle or pocket carry even with my G26 in a Supertuck. That way if I feel I need just a deep cover gun, I still have it with me. Mine is a few years old now with no problems other than I need to shoot it more to be accurate with it. I have big hands so it is very small for me.

17. madecov

madecov book em' Danno

My P3AT has been 100% so far with various defensive ammo.

It's not a real pleasure to shoot for extended periods but It's not designed for that.

If you can live within the limitations of the gun it's a decent carry gun for when it's difficult to carry anything else

18. TriggerHappy007

TriggerHappy007

Spend the extra money and get a Smith and Wesson 642 for pocket carry. You will not regret it one bit. I had a P3AT second generation and had nothing but problems with it jamming up. Sold it for a 642 and have never been happier. The 642 disappears in my pocket, I almost forget its even there.

19. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

I agree. But Ruger does make a nice little pocket gun that seems at least on the surface to be more refined. That said the P3AT is much more accurate. And don't ask me why either.

:dunno:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  20. oldfort

oldfort

Mine sleeps in my car console.