Keeping prisoners???

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by SkyStorm82, Jul 12, 2005.

1. SkyStorm82

SkyStorm82 DSG

I know indoor only cats live longer and all that but do any of you think it's fair to the cat? Sometimes I watch them looking out the window and I can't help but wonder if those of us who keep our cats indoors are doing the right thing.

What do you guys/gals think?

2. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

Keeping them inside is the best thing to do. My parents would take their cats outside, with a line of string attached to their collars and walk them around the yard and such. This helped them to relieve their wild tendencies or stalking and the like.

Cats, while very nimble, quick and relatively smart, are often hastled by dogs or eaten by coyotes when let outside to roam free. Not to mention the diseases, etc. they can be exposed to. There are tons of 'lost cat' posters around my neighborhood... cats do NOT get lost... if you catch my drift... they get eaten or run over.

3. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

Everyone's circumstances will vary, but my two indoor/outdoor cats are 18 going-on 19.

I've seen pictures of people who have trained their cats from an early age to walk on a leash (preferably with a harness). My mother used to take the cats on camping trips, and they would be walked on a leash attached to their collar (long before the prevalence of harnesses). So if you feel guilty about keeping them indoors, perhaps you could look into doing that.

4. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

My parents have an indoor/outdoor cat who is over 15 years old. They live in a pretty quiet neighborhood. When I first adopted my cat, I was living in a small village right on a state route. The speed limit in front of my house was only 25 mph, but a lot of semi trucks would blast through town a lot faster than that. So my cat was an indoor cat from the start because I didn't want her to be hit on the highway. Where I live now, she can go outside to the patio, it is fenced in and she can play relatively safely there. It used to be her "favorite room", but lately for some reason she won't go out there anymore, even when I am out there. I'm not sure why. She still loves to look out the window.

5. SkyStorm82

SkyStorm82 DSG

Thanks for all the replies. The leash idea seems like a good one but I can't see myself walking a cat.;g My main concern though is if keeping them indoors makes thier quality of life any less. I don't know if that makes any sense...^8

6. Mrs SC

Mrs SC

I agree that keeping your cat indoors is usually safer and preferable. In doing this, I also believe that it's important to make sure that they have lots of toys, scratching posts and amusements to keep them mentally stimulated. Interacting with them as much as possible will also help with their quality of life.

7. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

If you feel funny walking your cat, they also sell strollers ;f

http://www.midnightpass.com/kitpetstrol.html

Quality of life, I couldn't tell you. Some cats want to go outdoors, others are afraid of it. It all depends on your particular animals.

8. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

My 2 boys are perfectly happy inside, in fact when I take them out it scares them. I have plenty of windows in my house for them to look out. They are real content to lay and sleep on the cat perches I have and listen to the birds and things outside.

The vet told me recently that my 2 cats, because they are indoor only and do not come in contact with other cats only need shots every 2 or 3 yrs!! She said there is no need in giving them shots every year. This is a GOOD thing, as I have seen what shots can do as far as injection site carsinomas (cancer tumors)......

Shoeless has 2 females and I can assure you she will tell you that indoor cats are quite content and well adjusted. Her cats were breeders and are purebred expensive cats and they have NEVER been outside. I think Ponti also leaves his 2 cats Sidney and Peekabo inside ONLY as well, and they are happy.

9. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

Indoor cats usually live longer and are healthier than cats who are indoor/outdoor or outdoor cats. However, indoor cats tend to be more overweight and, especially as they grow older, they can get listless and apathetic. Like Mrs SC said, frequent interaction with the cat can help, as well as changing toys once in awhile to help discourage boredom in your cat. Being careful about your cat's diet can help avoid overweight issues and the health problems that can bring.

My last cat was leash-trained. It can be done.

10. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

My cat is an outside cat, and she comes in with me sometimes (sitting behind my keyboard as I type.). She likes it that way (unless it's cold out.), and has been a street cat longer than a house cat. I'm well within Dallas city limits, so we don't have problems with coyotes. She's been in a few fights, and recently had a cat bite on her tail that abcessed. But I don't think she gets in very many. I don't have a problem with letting an animal live outside. They're animals. They can survive better than we can outside. I can understand about all of you who live in coyote populated areas and keep the cats inside though. It's really a decision that each person has to make about their cats.

;g

;8 ;I

11. kjm1016

kjm1016

You must be joking!!! Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. I live just outside San Antonio. I once had a conversation with a woman that went something like this: I mentioned coyotes somewhat casually and her reply was that there are no coyotes here. I asked, "Have you ever seen a medium size dog running loose, usually a sandy color, bushy tail, pointed ears and snout? Guess what, it wasn't a dog, it was old Wile E. himself." I doubt if she believed me. However, I know coyotes live in cities in Texas, I've seen them. Keep your indoor Kitties close, as coyotes find them exceptionally tasty.