Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Native Mainiac
23,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just spent 4 hours with the paper shredder and making a late start on my New Year's Resolution to get rid of all the old bank statements, mortgage, insurance, visa applications and such. Made a pretty good dent in it and have two large garbage bags full of shredded paper.
Trying to be careful and make sure nothing good or needed gets lost. I did find the title to m truck, a CD for my router and some old property tax bills which I save forever.
I am far from going paperless, but gotta start throwing things out before they build up like this again. I also have to neatly file away safely things like property deeds, vehicle titles, insurance papers, DD-214 and of course tax records.
How long do you keep stuff?

·
Mentally Frozen
28,564 Posts
I try to go through it about every five years, but have plenty that's older and could get rid of.

·
Native Mainiac
23,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I try to go through it about every five years, but have plenty that's older and could get rid of.
I had a pretty big stash of stuff from 1998. Every time I went on a job, I had my mail forwarded, and would buy one of those plastic file cabinets to hang folders in....but then i just stacked them up in my office. 99% junk, but sometimes find something important even though I haven't seen it for 20 years.

·
Registered
11,250 Posts
My wife started doing that about three months ago. So far we have about a half dozen old wine boxes full of stuff. Some of it dating back to 1986 and beyond. She keeps saying: 'We can't die, and leave all this stuff for our kids to clean up'.

There's a commercial paper shredder in town where you can watch it shredded. When this C-19 thing dies down, I'll be hauling a load to town.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
I don't even get a monthly bank statement. When I did they went straight to the trash because the information was a week old already.

Outside of a small file with birth and marriage certificates, car titles and other similar legal documents and another with recent tax docs, I don't keep much of anything.

·
Mentally Frozen
28,564 Posts
My wife started doing that about three months ago. So far we have about a half dozen old wine boxes full of stuff. Some of it dating back to 1886 and beyond. She keeps saying: 'We can't die, and leave all this stuff for our kids to clean up'.
Did we go to school together?

I'm beating @FullClip to it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Things like DD-214, titles, and deeds I keep secure forever. Tax forms and other business-related documents? I scan, encrypt the files, upload them onto Dropbox, then burn the originals.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
We just moved, and we went through a lot of old paperwork and got rid of it. Most of it went up the chimney. I know, I know... global warming. Sorry.

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Some things like important personal and family history, forever. It is important to identify why they are important so the next generation knows what they and why they are important.

Tax and business records generally the legal minimum or as long as I need them to cover my but if an old deal comes back to bite me. Usually no more than 7 years.

·
Navy Veteran
5,515 Posts
Important stuff is in bank safety deposit box. Vehicle titles, house deed, birth certificates, passports, marriage license etc. I keep tax records forever, however I am thinking my bean counter said something amount 7 years. I have a file cabinet with one file for receipts. I go through this several times a year and either pitch or shred.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Longer than I should. But one time I'm cleaning out tax files ten years back. I open the file and find a cash envelope like you get from bank. $3000 in 100s. No recollection of how or when it got there.. Much better than finding a 20 in your jeans.. Always know what you about to shred.
I was going to say burning old documents is faster than a shredder, but now I’ll think twice. What a find!

Reactions: Out West

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
OP, I can very easily picture you keeping the receipt for a truck battery from 1998 or a new set of tires from 1988... Am I close? C’mon, be honest.. What’s the oldest receipt you have? I have a 1974 receipt for my Gibson guitar...Can you beat it?

·
NRA Life Member
5,447 Posts
I called a shredding truck to the house after I cleaned out a lot of files.

They shredded 1800 lbs of old financial records. Cost about $150 IIRC.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
I just got done thinning out a bunch of mom and dad's papers in the past two months............what an ordeal.

I thinned some of ours out in the process..............intending to fit it all in a 5 drawer filing cabinet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts