close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Keep an eye on the Canary islands

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by FryCook, Sep 27, 2011.

1. FryCook

FryCook

2. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

I was watching a show on the Science Channel last night that described the tsunami that would occur if the island broke in half and plunged into the Atlantic. They said it would send a wall of water that could go 40 miles inland on the entire east coast of the U.S.

3. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I almost blew off Frycook, because the websites he posted where suspect, but the news is making its way to other sources, but not regular news sources. Apparently there has been some quakes and an island evacuation has been called. La Palma is the island that has the massive overhang that can cause the tsunami. Everything is happening on a different island but still very close.

[​IMG]

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/n...ses-el-hierro-volcanic-alert-level/39623.html

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/n...acuates-dozens-fear-of-volcanic-eruption?ST=1

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. FryCook

FryCook

5. PBCounty

PBCounty

Tagged so I can read up on some decent material a bit later. All I've heard about it so far was from whack-jobs calling local talk radio stating how the entire state of FL was going to be washed away and what not.

6. Bilbo Bagins

Even though its not La Palma I think there is still a tsunami threat to the east coast if El Hierro erupts violently.

Thanks for the heads up. A Mega Tsunami as described with La Palma would be a possible evacuation for me, and I'm in PA. A 1000 ft, wave that can go 60 miles inland, means it will go over most of the southern tip of NJ, and continue across the Delaware river into Southeastern PA and Delaware. 6 Hours sound like a lot of time to evacuate, but really its not

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  7. FryCook

FryCook

8. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

I never heard any info of a "1000 ft" wave, nor anything about it reaching S.E. PA

9. Bilbo Bagins

That is absolute WORST CASE. I doubt it will be that bad, but its a slim possibility. Even if we are talking a standard tsunami hitting the east coast of the USA, like the one that hit the Indian Ocean coastline in 2004, or the one that recently hit Japan, that would cause epic damage. I can also think of at least 2 probably as high as 6 nuclear power plants that would be effected.

10. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

Makes me bummed out I live in Chucktown, SC. haha maybe it will wait till after the GSSF? :tongueout:

11. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Keep an eye on it? Really?

Like, if we watch it a lot, however that can be accomplished, like maybe giving it the evil eye, it will change its mind and move along?

I can't see it from here anyway, 3k miles at least. What am I watching for?

:rofl:

12. Bilbo Bagins

I'm keepin an eye on it but I got ADD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dammit....sorry guys.

13. bdcochran

bdcochran

I don't live on the east coast. However, I spent a couple of minutes researching and as I guessed, there is no east coast tsunami warning system. So what?

Like someone wrote, having 6 hours warning sounds like a lot - until you consider what the freeways and highways look like during rush hour. Consequently, I now give you a 6 hour warning. You end up doing nothing except looking for the tallest building in the neighborhood or the closest small aircraft to steal.

I live on the Pacific Coast about 3 miles from a tsunami plain. The last one through here was about 200 years ago according to the geology. If I have 10 minutes I can walk up the hill behind my house and be up a couple hundred feet. If you give my rush hour evacuation timing, I can be up a couple thousand feet in two hours. We have absolutely no tsunami warning system in Los Angeles.

14. FryCook

FryCook

Heres a webcam for you.
    http://www.tenerifewebcam.com/category/el-hierro/
    :wavey:

15. bdcochran

bdcochran

Any change that the harmonics in nature will then sing like a Canary?:rofl:

16. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly