Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a bunch of rivers around here, and a friend has a kayak. Since most of them are very slow-moving rivers, I always wondered if a kayak, being balanced, and low to the water, would enable a bass fisherman to get real close to bass (like a belly boat, but much faster) on either a river or a smaller lake (few powerboats) in inlets and coves. Either an open sea kayak or a enclosed traditional type.

What do you all think? Never heard of anyone doing it, but I think it might work. They also make no noise.

·
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Belly boats aren't exactly fast if you want to move around a bit (Having used them I know!) and canoes have a nasty habit of tipping over if you're not careful when retrieving a fish (have seen that happen twice). A sea kayak would put you ON the water where fish retrieval is easy and is very hard to flip unless you get a strong crosswave (nearly had that happen to me off the coast of CA in one) yet can be paddled far, quickly, and quietly with a lot of gear.

Just a thought. One of those random "why the hell not?" things.

·
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem #1. No time to fish

Problem #2. No kayak! :) It was a fun thought though. Maybe if somebody has a sea kayak they can test it and tell us how it went?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts