close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kayak fishing

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by flyboy5432H, Nov 4, 2002.

1. flyboy5432H

flyboy5432H Pull.Mark.Bird.

a while back someone posted about kayak fishing and if people really do it. at the time i didn't have a scanner so i couldn't put up any pictures, but here ya go:

this first picture is of my islander ventrua expedition kayak, fully rigged for fishing with rodholders, anchor system, fish box, tackle storage, and livewell.

2. flyboy5432H

22in redfish, caught in mosquito lagoon, fl

3. flyboy5432H

a decent trout from daytona beach, fl

4. flyboy5432H

one more,

20in redfish, mosquito lagoon, fl

5. Edge

Edge Millennium Member

I'm impressed. I've read a few articles over the past year and been seeking the perfect kayak. I want something light enough to easily pack around (as in carry over the shoulder from truck to pond), yet stable and roomy enough for serious fishing. Any suggestions?

6. flyboy5432H

i personally love the kayak in those photos, it's a ventrua expedition by islander. 15'1" long, 28" beam, with a rudder. fast, stable, and i can carry everything but the kitchen sink. it's rigged with a livewell, stability outriggers for sightfishing, 32qt cooler/fish box. tackle storage, anchor system and four rod holders.

my other kayak is a dimension typhoon, 11'2", 28" beam. not quite as stable, but has a much flatter bow, so i use it to get through the surf to fish past the breakers or to deliever shark baits offshore. i've included a pic of it. it's a very good boat, just not as fast as the ventura

other kayaks that are very popular are the "tarpon" and "the ride" both by wilderness systems. ocean kayak also has several models that are suited to kayak fishing such as the "scupper pro", "fish and dive", "navigator", and "drifter". cobra has some new kayaks that would be great to modify like thier "expedition" and "tourer" models.

there are very few kayaks that are rigged for fishing, most require a little work to get them up to snuff to be a good fishing boat. with mine i fish offshore for king mackerel, cobia, tarpon and shark, and can also head inshore for redfish, trout, and snook. i really think they are one of the most versatile craft that you can get, and very low maintence. for transport you can now get fold up carts that allow you to pull your kayak to your favorite fishing destination.

i run kayak trips around florida to give people a chance to try this up and coming sport. if your ever near daytona beach and want to try it, give me a shout. if you have any other questions about kayak fishing in general or boats and customizations e-mail me at michael_uleski@hotmail.com.

tight lines...

7. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

I rented a kayak one time and was going to take it mosquito lagoon and try it but had to go to tampa that day so I used it in Tampa Bay, the water was a little to choppy that day, I liked it but I really needed a wider kayak then what I had. It was a sit in instead of a sit on top which is what I wanted to really try. Does anyone know of a place to rent kayaks in the titusville area?

8. flyboy5432H

if your interested i run guided fishing trips down in the mosquito lagoon area around oak hill and titusville for trout, reds, and small tarpon.

both my kayaks are fully rigged for fishing, livebait, casting or fly, and follow USCG safety guidelines.

it's alot of fun chasing redfish down there in the lagoon this time of year since you can usually find them tailing.

if you would like more info on my trips contact me at Michael_Uleski@hotmail.com

9. tarpon

tarpon

10. flyboy5432H

nice fish. seems i usually get the big boys when i'm by myself and without a camera. we've had a good run of giant reds off of ponce inlet when the mullet run got thick, trying to get one under 40" was tough.

i normally fish north of the NMZ, but am planning a trip down there one of these days. mainly i keep to the north lagoon and north since i'm from daytona it's relatively close.

tarpon, what kind of yak do you have?

tight lines...

11. tarpon

tarpon

I have a Wilderness Systems Tarpon. Works out pretty well, though I need to set up some outriggers so I can stand and fish.

Tarpon

12. cannoncocker

cannoncocker unknown race

how much do these kayaks cost?

13. flyboy5432H

cost really depends on what you want to use the kayak for. a basic 10-12ft kayak can be had for $300, and even less some places.

if your just going to paddle a small lake or pond that kind of set up is more than adequate. the price goes up as you add features and size of course. my islander ventura was $899 with a rudder, which is pretty cheap with a rudder setup already installed. adding all the other fishing accesories probably pushes that up to around $1200. on the other hand, my Dimension tyhpoon was only $459, with about $200 in accesories. my setups though are for inshore and offshore saltwater fishing.

good companies to check out if your interested are , islander, wilderness systems, old town canoe, dimension, cobra, ocean kayak, necky, and perception.

14. cannoncocker

cannoncocker unknown race

15. Hucklebarry

Hucklebarry Native

Perception has a new boat coming out for 2003:

[​IMG]

Looks like a nice one.

I have a Perception Jocassee model, which is a two-person, open cockpit design. Sort of like a cross between a kayak and a canoe. It's great for just cruising around the lakes. Not a bad fishing boat either.

Perception is a home-town company too. I like to keep my money local.:)

Huck