close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

kawasaki concours 14.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rabbi, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Anyone here have one? What are your thoughts?

I am thinking about getting my first touring bike and I like the way it feels better than the BMW.

[​IMG]

2. Smashy

Smashy

I've never ridden one, but a buddy of mine has one, we were just talking about it at our last bike night on Thursday. He just got a 250 Ninja as well for something lighter to have fun on, but he refuses to sell his Connie 14. He's got many miles on it, says it's the best bike he's ridden for touring of all types. He tells me he plans to keep it forever.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010

3. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Ironically enough I was able to gawk at a BMW R-1200 (? on the exact model number) today. That thing looked like the motorcycle equivalent of a fine Swiss automatic watch.

4. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

Goldwing? I mean, if you're after a couch with two wheels why not at least give them a look. I've never been on one but they seem to be very popular.

5. smokin762

smokin762

I had a friend that had one and he liked it a lot. It was a nice bike until he got rear ended at a traffic light by a drunk driver. Yes he lived.

In the next few years I would like to get the Honda ST1300. I have always like this Bike since it came out.:supergrin:

http://powersports.honda.com/2010/st1300.aspx

6. Rabbi

It's not the same class of bike. The Kawi is more of a sports tourer.

7. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

I actually sold my last ZX14 with the thought of buying a Concours. I've been on them several times.

It is a BIG bike. The seat is higher in the back than my ZX14 and it is a little hard for me to get my foot over the seat and passenger saddlebag, when I get on the bike. If you look at the floor model Concours at a dealership, there will typically be scuffs and scratches on the outside edge/top of the passenger saddlebag.

The power feels great. It has very healthy pickup at lower RPM's. The driveshaft on this bike is a work of art. It took some real engineering to put that much torque through a shaft. I don't usually like shaft-driven bikes because I really don't like the feedback on deceleration, but the Concours shaft setup and the clutch do a good job of damping this.

One bad thing about the Concours is that it generates a LOT of heat and it sheds that heat on the crotch and legs of the rider. It is a big motor and it runs a little on the hot side anyway, but the way it dissipates that heat is going to see the rider experience their fair share of it. I have that same problem, to a lesser extent, on my ZX14.

Also, I am not crazy about the grey or the black they have put on the Concours so far.

I really love the saddle bags and the fact that they are removable. There is quite a bit of storage there.

I was also looking at FJR-1300's. I think that the fit and finish of the FJR is better (This has never been a strong point for Kawasaki) and I think it is a more comfortable bike. The seat is a little lower and is easier for me to mount and dismount. I think the FJR is a better bike in most ways, in fact, but there is one thing that draws me to the Concours: The power. I like to go fast and the Concours is going to do that better. The FJR is a more refined, elegant-looking bike. The Concours is a bit of a punk. Both bikes are based on sport bikes, but the Concours is a little closer to its roots, IMO.

If I had to choose between the FJR and the Concours at this point, I really don't know which way I would go. They are both beautiful bikes. In the end, I missed my ZX14 and ended up with another one, but I would love to have the long-range comforts and storage capacity of either of those bikes.

8. Eric

It isn't fair to either the Goldwing or the Concours to compare the two. They are different classes of bikes. Eric

9. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

True true. And much better styling on the Kawi. I've never seen the Kawi in person, but I probably see K series BMWs at least 2xday here in PHX/Scottsdale. What didn't you like about them?

10. roginoz

roginoz

Check out the Honda ST1300. I'm riding an '05 model. (There's lots of good info on ST-Owners.com.) The Kaw is more of a hot rod, the Honda is more comfortable (it'll still do 140+...,) and the Yamaha FJR1300 is sportier. I don't care for the PASS system on the Kaw (transponder required to start,) and the Honda provides better protection. Any of these three bikes is a good sport tourer; it comes down to personal choice. For the way I ride, the Honda is first, the Kaw second and the Yamaha third. I could be happy with any one, but I think I'm happier with my Honda.

11. Rabbi

Yeah, the FJR is artwork and so is the 1300 ST, but you nailed it, the Kawi is the badass of the bunch....and I am still young and dumb enough that appeals to me.

12. Eric

The only real issue I have with the Concours is the difficulty mounting and dismounting. I have a classic Irish body-type: Long body and short legs. I guess I could get used to getting on the thing though.:supergrin:

What I would REALLY like is to build unobtrusive adapter plates that would allow me to mount and remove the Concours saddle bags on my ZX14, just the way they mount on the Concours. I would have to get rid of my high-mount slip-on cans though and I think they make the bike look sexy as hell. Decisions, decisions. Eric

13. Rabbi

I dont know what it is about the BMW's, they just feel "fuddy duddy" to me. The Jap bikes, in particular the Concours has the sports feel I am still seeking.

I have been ridding wizbang sports bikes for some time now and I ride pretty damned hard and fast. However, as I age, I also am seeking a level of comfort, I would like to be able to make it about the journey and all that is going on around me, the way I ride and what I ride means most of my rides are a pretty focused effort....I.E. I dont get to enjoy much more than the road.

The Kawi seems like a good step up. I can still **** and get a little but also actually enjoy the air, scenery and ride.

I will still do the sportbike thing but I would like to mix in a more relaxing ride from time to time. To go somewhere and actually see something other than calculating apex and whatnot :supergrin:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  14. Rabbi

How tall are you? I am not *built* like you, but I am a tad over 6 foot. I did notice I had to take a "good swing" to get on the Concours but it didnt seem all that odd.

15. Eric

Yeah, like you won't be wringing out the corners with that Concours.:supergrin:

I was in a bike shop once when this guy came in wearing leathers. He must have been at least seventy, maybe older. He was there to get a new pair of shoes for his Honda 600RR. After he left, I was talking to the service manager and he said that guy came in no less than every six months, for a new set of tires. He said that old guy scrubbed those tires smooth off of that bike every time. Every set of pulls were worn out just about completely, from sidewall to sidewall.

I hope like hell that I make it to be that old and that I still want to ride that hard when I get there. Eric

16. Eric

I'm 5'10", with a 30" inseam. The back of that Concours is at least four inches taller than the back of my ZX14. The seat is angled up toward the back much more sharply. That and the bags are pretty wide. Have you been behind a Concours in traffic? That is a WIDE bike, with the bags on. The FJR fits me better, but I love the performance of the Concours. Eric

17. smokin762

smokin762

Yep ST1300's are nice bikes. I want one bad. I am just waiting for my kid to get old enough so that if something happens to me, she'll be okay.

18. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

The Concours is exactly the bike I'd look at if I was going to buy another one now. In 1984 I was one of the first people to buy the original 900cc Ninja, which was more my style back then. I think the first Concours came out only a couple of years later, and I've always kept them in the back of my mind with the thought of buying one ever since.

To me, the Concours offers the right blend features: Nice seating & handle bar position for touring comfort, saddle bags that actually look good, lots of power, but not too bloated with excess weight like a Goldwing. It's a true touring bike that actually feels like a bike when you ride it, which Goldwings, IMO do not. They're just big fat pigs on two wheels, and that destroys the whole feeling that you're traveling on a bike. If you can't enjoy nice sport bike handling a curvy mountain road, then what's the point of being on two wheels instead of four?

Or course, I'm assuming you're looking to do some touring-type rides, which is why I'm comparing this thing to a Goldwing-type of bike. But if you just want to do some non-tour bad *** riding, then you don't want anything with a drive shaft anyway.

19. Rabbi

You dont see people that old ride that hard....hmmmmmmm LOL!

I took the new girlfriend to a few Motorcycle dealerships today and introduced her to the term "chiken stripes" (after she overheard it) Went out into the parking lot of the local multi line jap dealer and showed her what they were. Her comment was, well, you bike doesn have those.....I just told her "Yep" and smiled.

I also hope I can keep it up. As they say, those that have and those that will...I already have, twice. Does that mean I have paid my pavement debt and then some and should be good to go now? :rofl:

20. smokin762

smokin762

:wow: You sound like my dad. He was 6' tall and had a 30" inseem. All body and short legs. He had it tough on some bikes too.