Karambits, Anyone? Concealed carry/EDC

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by CDR_Glock, Jan 9, 2020.

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

I’d like to have a 3” Karambit for concealed carry in places where I cannot carry a firearm.

They meet the size limit, from what I understand.

I’m thinking of an Emerson, Spyderco or a Fox for a folder. However, with concerns about a gravity knife, I was also thinking of a fixed blade in a sheath at or under the 3” blade limit.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD

2. Archangel

Archangel

i can't advise you on what to carry, but i did build this fixed blade for a customer in Italy recently. 2.75" blade on it and he carries it in his front pant pocket daily. i am actually building another for him right now.

Archangel

[​IMG]

VIS07, Willard, AdamRodgers and 2 others like this.

3. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

If I was going to carry one it would have to be a fixed blade. I do not understand the rationale behind a folding fighting knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Archangel

Archangel

that is what my Italian buddy says all the time. i carry a small fixed blade all the time as well. of course, that is what i make most of the time. this is what i carry every single day.

Archangel

[​IMG]

VIS07, Willard, NoStress and 5 others like this.
  5. hogarth

hogarth

Why a karambit? Unless I had training with Steve Tarani or someone similar on how to use one properly, I'd choose a blade more intuitive for defensive use.

6. bdcochran

bdcochran

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    CDR_Glock likes this.
  7. NoStress

NoStress

A fixed blade you can stab and slash with would be good. Being able to use the handle to smash with would make it better. I am not a fan of serrations but if I were limited to a 3 inch blade I would want them.

Gray_Rider and CDR_Glock like this.
  8. bdcochran

bdcochran

Mutiple questions:
    I’d like to have a 3” Karambit for concealed carry in places where I cannot carry a firearm.

They meet the size limit, from what I understand.

You are asking a legal question. I would not accept an answer to a legal question on this forum. Your best sources of information are a lawyer (and people will not pay for that advice) or a dealer with a store front. Do not ask a legal question of your policeman unless you send him a confirmation letter and keep a copy.

I’m thinking of an Emerson, Spyderco or a Fox for a folder.

Good manufacturers.

However, with concerns about a gravity knife,

A gravity knife is a knife with a blade contained in its handle, and that opens its blade by the force of gravity.

If you are concerned about a gravity knife, don't buy one. Those manufacturers also make non-gravity operated knives.

I was also thinking of a fixed blade in a sheath at or under the 3” blade limit.

There are a myriad of 3 inch or shorter fixed blade knives.

So, if you are starting into knives from a point of ignorance and are willing to learn, you have options:
    1. option 1 - go to a store front with your requirements and handle a number of knives;
    2. option 2 - if you can not do option 1, then set a budget of $20 -$25 and after researching on google like "best knives under $25", go to Amazon and look at negative ratings for the knife, then go to youtube and look for videos on the knife past the inane "look I just bought a knife and am opening the package" stuff.

orangejeep06 and CDR_Glock like this.
  9. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Great response and recommendations.

I am not going to do a gravity knife since the laws on those are murky, at best.

My style of karate is in line with the style of knife fighting with a karambit.

My background as a physician, gives me the knowledge of targets in weapons training, though I read a book recommended by Massad Ayoob on targeted anatomy. It was an interesting read.

I have an Emerson Wave Karambit. I have been practicing extensively with it, in addition to a trainer, and my dojo at home with my Big Bob (arm attachments). I have also worked with my fellow black belts in knife fighting, kali and other weapons.

A fixed blade seems to make more sense as it removes fine motor skills out of the mix with respect to drawing. It is also less prone to mechanical failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Muzzleblast_MD (Instagram)

Gray_Rider and AdamRodgers like this.
  10. MoreMonkeyThanMan

MoreMonkeyThanMan

11. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" DocGKR

That is a bad ass blade!!! Would you mind sending me a PM with your Email address. I believe I had it at one time but I cant find it. I am interested in a blade similar to this.

Thanks.

12. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" DocGKR

I found a 70 dollar karambit to just try after about 6 months of going back and forth about this. I like mine, it is a Buck-n-Bear it is not as nice as a Emerson or Fox but it has proven to me that a off side karambit style knife would work to cut someone off your pistol if need be. I do intend to get a Emerson or Fox soon.

Is it perfect........

......no

It is another tool. I also like a Clinch Pick. ;)

That Kabar TDI would be a decent option also..

Gray_Rider and CDR_Glock like this.
  13. X95mk220

X95mk220

So this is what I carried daily, N690 nice rounding and chamfering throughout and was a collaborative between Bastinelli Knives & the one and only Doug Marcaida and it is called the PIKA & it was glorious except the Kydex Shealth that never seemed to give a great solid audible click locking the blade to where you feel comfortable wearing it. Always wore it on non-dominant side but one day when to grab it and poof! Gone! I was pissed to say the least. My next karambit will undoubtedly be the Provoke by CKRT which is one of the coolest Karambits I’ve ever seen. There is also a midtech version that is more than the $200 dollar CRKT Variant. But just research them. I too was gonna go for the fox knives w/ Emerson type wave opening trademark but That PIKA was perfect, it just sucked the sheath sucked. Good luck! I’d go Provoke hands down and that is just my honest opinion. There are a lot to research, enjoy!

F60058BF-64FC-43E4-9601-FBD1A82F726C.jpeg

B0AC6474-7847-4C5E-AEB8-879A45F86F61.jpeg ECD9E516-7E72-4791-AA00-71286BB9A2AB.jpeg EAC96D33-4DE1-4513-8FE5-209AC4AC6E2E.jpeg 3A0A5E71-FDAF-4EDD-871D-A0B5061C14EF.jpeg C1A96C80-2FC0-4C3B-BEEB-AD49E02DBD3F.jpeg

CDR_Glock and AdamRodgers like this.
  14. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

My favorite is the Emerson Knives Super Karambit because it’s large, the ring is thicker, the blade is more aggressive and the scales have a rough texture. In the closed position, it is large, and I can use it as a blunt striking device. The ring is the most aggressive, too. I can open it from a pocket draw easily, as well as with swinging it quickly. It is in my dominant pocket.

I have the Fox 479 Carbon Fiber Karambit in my left pocket. It has 3 conventional ways to open: Wave, flipper, thumbhole.

In a coat pocket, my CRKT Provoke Karambit is a fun knife to just handle. I have lubricated it with silicone spray and worked the handle back and forth, to break it in since it arrived bone dry. It was very stiff. I have a technique to close it one handed, now. The clip does allow for a deeper more discrete pocket carry. However it is not reversible or as readily ambidextrous.

The fixed blade Karambit is likely a clone of some higher end knife but it is quite sharp and has a kydex holster. I only carry this if I cannot carry my pistols.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Muzzleblast_MD (Instagram)

X95mk220 and AdamRodgers like this.
  15. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

AdamRodgers and CDR_Glock like this.
  16. X95mk220

X95mk220

AdamRodgers and CDR_Glock like this.