close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kali, Arnis, Escrima

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Neo Headhunter, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Neo Headhunter

Neo Headhunter

It is not a surprise that the warrior mind set and the ability to protect one self, his family and his property is so engrained in the Filipinos. Hence the attraction to weapons, the pistol, blades and martial arts. Anybody in BOG train in Kali, Arnis, Escrima? If you do What is your favorite bladed weapon and what do you think is the unique to your training compared to other MA such as japanese etc. Kali/Arnis/Escrima aka Filipino martial arts is certainly unique to the south east asian reqion. It is its application uncluttered and direct, regionally diverse and very deadly should one want it to be.:supergrin:

2. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

I train with Carlos Hermanos which is a mix of Pekiti, Illustrisimo, and Caballero fighting systems. What is unique? We do away with the "artful" techniques and stick to the useful combatives. We are also one of the few clubs who regularly spar full speed and full contact. Most of us are also MMA practitioners so a lot of hand to hand comes into play when we spar. We also do a lot of melee/situational drills like back against the wall/knife vs. stick or knife on knife but with furniture around.

I like it there because they keep it real.

3. Allegra

Allegra

4. Pepe308

Pepe308 Noypi

Kali Illustrisimo. Had some basic training with Yulito "mang Yuli" Romo but most training sessions were informal with a friend/kabarangay who was a principal student of Mang Yuli. My favorite bladed weapon -balisong and the barong. Unique about the system? Its has simple, direct and fluid movements, if you call that unique.

5. juramentado

juramentado

Pekiti Tirsia Kali. I train with Rommel Tortal, the edged and impact weapons instructor for the Phil. Marines Force Recon and PNP SAF.

6. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

I just started training in Kilat Serrada Arnis in Dagupan City. Nothing substantial to report about it as yet, since I've only attended a few classes so far. The instructor avoids flowery movements and urges us to focus on what will work well in real-life situations.

My favorite bladed weapon is my go-anywhere Spyderco Endura, but I might try dressing up like a farmer sometime to see how it feels carrying around a bolo in public :)

7. Pepe308

Pepe308 Noypi

IIRC, this system specializes on close range. Perfect for your knife Mikey.;)

8. 9MX

9MX Rei!

dude, don't forget the carabao:supergrin:

Andres Bonifacio atapang atao...

9. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

9MX,

Carabaos are so 20th century. Kuliglig na ang gamit ng farmer ngayon :supergrin:

Seriously question: how long and how frequently does a student need to train in order to become "proficient" enough to prevail in most common self-defense situations such as garden variety muggings?

10. 9MX

9MX Rei!

no different from any martial art, as often as you can. until it becomes you.

11. juramentado

juramentado

Depends on what you define as "garden variety". that for me would mean 3 or 4 men with knives and maybe even a handgun. One guy sticks his blade to your side while he has his arm around your neck, while the 2 or 3 others act as lookouts, with one of them watching his friend rob you and to see if you'll fight back.

First you'll have to take care of the guy next to you, who probably already pressed the tip of his knife into your side just to make his point. Your first strike on him will have to be instantly incapacitating, like a thrust to the jugular or the throat, because you can't afford to defend against 2 knife attacks; chances are, one of the lookout will join his friend in stabbing you.

You also have to hope that the third lookout will just take off when he sees you knifed his two friends. what if he doesn't....

Same scenarios apply in a FX holdup, but this time you don't know who among your fellow passengers is one of them and the robbers will probably have guns. By the time you decide to draw your weapon, the accomplice behind will draw his and take you out. which is what happened to a sargeant who drew his sidearm in a FX robbery.

12. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Good points, juramentado. There's a good thread on Warrior Talk about "spotting sleepers," that is, trying to identify the lookout in multi-BG scenarios. To be able to pull this off, one would have to be very alert and attuned to the persons around him and their peculiar behavior. That, or avoid riding in FX taxis :supergrin: