Kaitlin Bennett and Trump supporters attacked at Ohio University

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by B C, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Gundude

Gundude

Thanks. I'll watch it before commenting further.

2. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

Perhaps I lacked clarity. What I am saying is that the time for taking the moral high ground is over. It is time to quit being nice. Call them out for what they are, do it directly and by name, and quit letting them run over everybody else. They are just like any other bullies, tough talking until one gets punched in the proverbial snotbox. When they see there are consequences to their actions, maybe things can return to civil discourse. For those who chose to not, deal with them accordingly, as adults with adult consequences. Quit tolerating and coddling their actions.

3. Gundude

Gundude

Yikes, that was painful to watch.

Main takeaway:

I'm soooo glad my son has no interest in college. That this college (and probably a lot of them) is a cesspool of idiocy is not in doubt.

Back to the topic at hand:

Unfortunately, there's no "just leave the camera running" clip out there. Even at 40 minutes long, this is a sequence of edited clips designed to generate a narrative. Here is a representative example: (at 30:07)

<Snip>
    Student: I dare you to push me again.
    Kaitlin: I'm not pushing you.
    Student: You did. How did I end up on the ground?
    Kaitlin: ... poured hot coffee on me.

Surely the camera caught the actual incident. Why was it edited out? Was it a defensive push or was it an aggressive, offensive one? Why aren't we allowed to judge for ourselves?

Look, I get the business model. She's not a pioneer in this field. By the way, what's Milo Yiannopoulos up to lately? This "career" is a crapshoot. You can end up going mainstream and getting filthy rich off of advertising and merchandising like buddies Bill Maher and Ann Coulter, or you can fizzle out early, still in the begging for donations phase, like 99.9% of the people who try out. You gotta push the boundaries to stand out from the crowd.

The problem is people mistaking it for actual activism. It's not activism. It's entertainment. Enjoy it or don't, but treating it as reality and getting worked up about it is counterproductive. You have every right to act as an unpaid marketer/distributor for this girl's work. But don't you want to do it knowing what you're doing instead of pretending you're furthering some kind of noble cause?

4. Gundude

Gundude

Why is it not possible to quit being nice, but still keep the moral high ground? How can you call somebody out for what they do when you're doing the same thing? What you're actually saying when you use their own tactics against them is "I see what you're doing, and I will emulate that because it works and I can use it for my own purposes as well." That's not calling somebody out, that's acknowledging their success and admitting that the ends justify the means.

5. newglocker10mm

I explained my meaning in the quoted post. At times, focusing on keeping the moral high ground will cause you to lose the battle. As another member on here stated: Avoid conflict, but when you cannot avoid it unleash hell. They won’t want anymore.

6. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

I find it disturbing that some members here feel it is OK that others resort to violence towards others just because of what they say or stand for.

What is your Antifa AE?

cbetts1 and ScotchWhisky like this.
  7. Gundude

Gundude

It's a dangerous proposition to equate "unleashing hell" with abandoning the moral high ground. The implication that "all bets are off" if you get pushed to a certain point is not a productive one.

If you find yourself in an active shooter situation, is it OK to start shooting everybody you see, given that the shooter's moral low ground allows him to shoot at you without hesitation, while you have to decide, every time somebody is in your sights, whether it's somebody that needs to be shot or not? Keeping the moral high ground in this situation can get you killed. You can even the playing field just by shooting everybody you see instantly.

The moral high ground is important. The fact that people feel comfortable abandoning it explains a lot about where we are today.

8. newglocker10mm

No offense but I have been in more than one active shooter situation. Moral high ground was not high on my agenda.

9. newglocker10mm

How about this: I’m not changing my mind and you’re convinced in yours and we leave it at that?

10. Gundude

Gundude

The only "violence" I saw was a drink thrown. At a large truck, no less. People have been throwing drinks in people's faces for the things they've said since the beginning of time. It's a little snowflakey to act so shocked and frightened, don't you think?

11. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

So how do you know what was in that drink? Piss? Spit? Other bodily fluids.... so now there are rules on assault?

Surrounding and kicking and punching the vehicle is OK too? How much can you punch and kick a window before it becomes a safety issue? Please enlighten us.

What are the antifa ground rules of harassing people we don't agree with? Do tell seeing you think mob violence is OK.

12. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

Honestly I am over being passive and letting my rights continually get eroded. The feds are already making digital copies of firearms sales for a centralized general gun database. That wasn't supposed to happen but surprise surprise it's happening right now and no one is pissing a fit.

Your back yard is my back yard. No further, NOT ANOTHER INFRINGEMENT. We have given too much and it will NEVER be enough for them.

Get in their face but be nice. Let them show who the aerse is.

https://cdn.quotesgram.com/small/90/86/1668019504-RoadHouse.jpg

13. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

14. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

Honestly I am over being passive and letting my rights continually get eroded. The feds are already making digital copies of firearms sales for a centralized general gun database. That wasn't supposed to happen but surprise surprise it's happening right now and no one is pissing a fit.

Your back yard is my back yard. No further, NOT ANOTHER INFRINGEMENT. We have given too much and it will NEVER be enough for them.

Get in their face but be nice. Let them show who the aerse is.

1668019504-RoadHouse.jpg

15. Gundude

Gundude

In the context of entertainment, there's a different standard. Did Jerry Springer clutch his pearls and reach for the fainting couch whenever somebody cussed, raised their voice or took a swing at somebody on his show? Did he call the cops and say "Look, I invited all these idiots who hate each other onto my show to air their dirty laundry and now they're actually taking swings at each other. Please stop what you're doing and come over here and bail me out"? It's ironic that Jerry Springer is now a shining beacon for the days of responsibility in entertainment.

When you take a camera crew and go and engage people on hot-button issues in order to generate some income, you're making a choice. You're contributing to the confrontation (even though you edit out your part in the escalation), so you can tweet a 30-second clip of a "riot" and get some donations and clicks. Good for her that somebody will actually send her some money for it. Bad for the people who mistake it for reality and edge nearer to actual violence.

16. teeceetx

teeceetx

Kaitlin Bennett. She's hawt, she's pro gun. Yes, a man can surely fantasize.

17. Gundude

Gundude

Why would I take offense? I know nothing about your particular confrontations with active shooters, but I do know in general that citizens who have confronted active shooters haven't fired indiscriminately at everybody in sight. If your situation was different, then so be it. I'm not saying it never happened, but I do know our MSM today would not be shy about sharing stories of CCW holders making shootings much worse by firing at everything that moved. So I have to believe it's more common than not for people to maintain their moral high ground in tough spots, because I don't see a ton of those stories.

18. teeceetx

teeceetx

19. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Same people who want to ban guns to prevent violence. . .
    For them, violence is horrible unless it is a liberal attacking a conservative. . Then it's justified and something to be proud of.

B C likes this.
  20. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

So do you punch women?