close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kahr,Sig,Ruger,or?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Glock3540, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Glock3540

Glock3540

Hello Everyone,
    I am a die hard Glock fan. I have carried a G27 daily for well over 10
    years. I also own a G19 that I love and of course my beloved G35.
    I have various other handguns as well (SP101,P3AT as well as some much larger pistols/revolvers).
    I am looking for something 100% reliable that I can ankle carry.
    All the Glocks (and I have tried all sizes) are just a little too large
    for comfortable ankle carry.

I have a Galco ankle holster for my SP101 but this little pocket cannon
    is HEAVY. When I am wearing it, I cannot wait to get home so I can take it off. My G27 I carry in a fanny pack. I have also tried it in an ankle rig but it is much the same as the 101.
    My P3AT is very light but I do not trust it 100% even after my fluff and buff.
    I looked at the P238 but Sig quality being what it is today, I am not comfortable with it either (plus the cocked and locked thing on my ankle just bothers me a little).
    I was thinking maybe Kahr PM9 but I hear it is kind of coin toss if you get a good one or not.
    I always come back to the LCR. It seems like the best compromise in weight, concealability, power and size and I think it would be 100% reliable.
    The only caveat is I tend to shoot my small pistols better than I do revolvers. Trigger pull differences I guess.

Also,for the first time in my life I'm thinking about getting a factory equipped laser (if I buy the C/T LCR). All of my carry guns have XS big dots on them but I think a reliable laser may help with my revolver accuracy deficiancy?

What do you guys think?

Blessings,
    Brian

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

The LCR/laser makes the most sense. Just practice, it's worth learning the DA revolver.

3. MarccraM

MarccraM

I think you should really consider a LC"P"..

I know you have the 3PAT as you stated but you aren't confident in it.

I think the LCP is very reliable and I have really heard nothing to the contrary... Mine was flawless...

I think you will be unhappy with the bulk of a revolver... I have a 12 oz mp340.. Its awesome but the cylindar is still fat no matter how light it is.

4. dosei

dosei

Have you pulled the trigger on a LCR? Ruger spent a LOT of time making sure the LCR had a sweet trigger pull for such a small revolver. Granted, the Kahr's and Sig P250's have even nicer trigger pulls...but there isn't another revolver in the LCR's size range with as nice of a trigger pull. Are there any indoor ranges around you that have one you could rent? Most indoor ranges have a vast array of guns you can rent to shoot. Somewhere in Nashville there must be a range with nearly every conceivable gun you might want to think about available for you to rent & shoot...thus helping you greatly to find the right one for you.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  5. ronin.45

ronin.45

Good answer. Although I like the S&W better.:whistling:

6. swannick

swannick

Had a Kel Tec P3AT, wasn't happy with the quality of it. Had an LCP, liked it, much better quality than the KT, but then I saw the Sig P238 and had to have it. So I bought it. Then I saw the Kahr PM9, not much bigger than the Sig and it was a 9mm I had to have it. So I bought it last week, took it to the range and put 200 rounds through it.....FLAWLESS. I really like this gun. It is my EDC gun and I no longer have a .380. I know it's personal preference what caliber to carry but I don't want anything smaller than a 9mm. Many people on this site as well as experts agree. So I would highly recommend the Kahr...you won't be disappointed.

7. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

1. Oh noes... :upeyes:
    2. A knife is generally considered 100% reliable.
    3. Now you're talking! But 100% reliability? LCR is as close as a gun will get.
    4. Not really a fan of lasers but it's your gun and your money.
    5. Nope, only practice can fix that problem.

Respect.

8. jhmayhem

jhmayhem

If you are looking for an ultra reliable ankle carry gun, the obvious answer to me is the Ruger LCR out of those three choices. I really like Kahrs though and I think the PM9 has worked out most of the kinks they had in the past. You should also look into the J-frame S&W snubnoses if you are looking for more choices.

9. piebiter

piebiter

Kahrs are a good choice. I've carried a couple of Kahrs over the years and they pack well and are very reliable. I would think a PM9 would make an excellent ankle gun.

10. modestglock26

modestglock26 sleep w/ a gun

Kahr MK40 owner here and it has been 100% and great to carry. Sure it's a little heavier than the poly models, but the reliability seems to be much better on average, and to me, it has a great fit and finish and seems to be a high quality gun.

It's a neat design, and tiny especially for a .40S&W.

I'm not recoil sensitive but you will know when this thing goes bang.

Maybe look into an MK9?

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

I carried a Detonics in an ankle holster for a decade or so and then switched to one or another similar sized pistols of about the same weight for another decade and a half or so. Either was far more comfortable with a good ankle holster than was a J frame with a not so good ankle holster. My limited and purely anecdotal evidence suggests that the quality of the ankle holster is far more important than the size or weight of the gun.

12. Littlescroll

Littlescroll NRA Member

Kahr pm9 all the way. I own an LCP and since I bought the kahr(two months and 400 flawless rounds ago) I have not carried it more than twice. The pm9 is just a sweet shooter, I really recommend giving it a try. Oh and I find that I am more accurate with my pm9 than I am with my 27 or my 23.

I carry the pm9 in a crossbreed minituck or a smartcarry. Both are comfortable and concealable, and I do not wear loose clothing.

13. Littlescroll

Littlescroll NRA Member

Double post.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  14. rfd339

rfd339

(I am looking for something 100% reliable that I can ankle carry.)
    This would fit your needs nicely.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  15. Kahr Fan

Kahr Fan

I have owned a PM9 for over 2 years now and it has been flawless (over 1,000 rounds). I bought a LCP and was very disappointed, so much that I am never buying a ruger auto again and I will think long and hard about ever purchasing a ruger revolver. Sent my LCP back to the factory twice and they still didnt fix the problem. While i know people that love their P3AT and LCP I personally think they are crap. People complain that the Kahr's cost twice as much but that’s because they are twice the gun in two way's 9mm vs 380ACP and the quality is twice as good (the trigger pulls on the Kahrs are amazing). The Kahrs diffidently had some reliability issues in the beginning but they currently make a product that it’s in own class when it comes to size, weight, and reliability. I would recommend the PM9, the PM40, and the P380 in that order. Hope my insight helps.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

16. Glock3540

Glock3540

Thanks for all of the responses guys. Has anyone seen/held or shot one of the PM9's with the C/T laser? It looks like you lose a little of the already precious finger grip area...

17. jbsglock29

jbsglock29

18. TonyT

TonyT

For a while I carried a Glock 36 but finally settled on a Kahr PM-9 in a pocket holster. The PM-9 is truly concealable, mine has been totally reliable with a wide varity of ammo including reloads, and is surprisingly accurate - easilly place 7 shots into 3 inch circle at 7 to 10 yards. The Kahr has a very unique trigger which can best be described as an ultra smooth and light double action revolver trigger.

19. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Get the S&W 340PD. High quality, very light gun. Man up and handle the recoil. :supergrin: .357 mag beats .380!!!

[​IMG]

20. shaggy&scooby

shaggy&scooby

I've heard many times about people saying that for ankle carry you should go with a revolver, simply because of the amount of dirk that is down there...makes for a lot of cleaning on a Kahr Pm9, Sig P238, etc. A revolver would be much cleaner, or so goes the saying.

I don't have an LCR, but I want one. When the moment comes for me to decide , it's already been made. I know you'll make the best choice for you as well, but this is my 02 cents.