Kahr P380, How Reliable??

Discussion in 'Kahr Club' started by 09crue, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Cokeman

Cokeman Glock 23

I took these two out yesterday. My son shot the Henry and I shot the Kahr. It was a fun trip. We found lots of broken bottles and shot the bigger pieces of glass and the bottle necks.

[​IMG]

2. StarVigor

StarVigor

Mine's been back to the factory twice. Last time for a new barrel and recoil spring. Before that for extractor, ejector,...

Seriously considering invoking CA's lemon law. if this last repair doesn't permanently fix the high rate (>20%) of failure.

3. matt_lowry123

matt_lowry123

Mine is number 981. I bought one the first year they came out. It wouldn't feed ammo, so I sent it in. They polished the feed ramp and sent it back. It pretty much still sucked, so I was looking on the Internet about a year ago and saw there's a new recoil spring. I have a cw9 and I thought they sent me the wrong spring at first. I put it on and it's problem free!!! The old spring was a welfare case compared to the new one!!

4. mitchg233

mitchg233

How do they let this out the door?

5. matt_lowry123

matt_lowry123

I remember calling kahr and asking them how many rounds they used to test fire the gun (the one I sent in). I want to say they used 5 rounds. I remember telling them, I'd buy them a box of ammo and they could shoot it, if it'd help solve the problem. I guess after a boat load of complaints by other customers, they solved the problem. I like they're customer service, but it sucked to have to pay for shipping.

Off topix, but kahr related. My PM45 went back twice before it would run right. First it wouldn't feed ammo, so they polished the feed ramp. I had to send back the mags that came with it, because the followers were messed up. I got it back and the trigger wouldn't reset. I asked if they'd just send me new parts, but they insisted that I had to send the gun in. They installed new parts and now it's a champ.

My cw9 has never messed up!!

I think it's either home runs or worm burners with kahr.

6. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

from what ive read on kahr talk the .380s are still just high priced kel=teks needing fluff-n-buffs if not more to make them run correctly....

7. Cokeman

Cokeman Glock 23

8. CanMan

CanMan

I've had two.... the first one was a POS! Second one has been fine after breakin. 50/50 hmmm.

9. Kahala

Kahala

The only problem I have had with mine is with steel cased ammo it eats through everything else.

10. Irelander

Irelander Glocker

Mine too.

I have had great success with Hornady's Critical Defense ammo.

If you have an early model P380, I'd suggest getting the new recoil spring assembly. It is stronger than the previous one and it fixed all my return to battery problems. Just send an email to Kahr and they will send you one for free.

Now I just need to get my P380 to stop throwing the empties in my face.

11. Spanky10956

Spanky10956

I just sold my Kahr P380. It was the worst gun I ever owned. Jams, misfires, ftf’s, stovepipes, you name it and this gun did it. Sent it back to the factory and nothing changed. I do not recommend this weapon to anyone.

12. Ken43

Ken43

I had a Kahr CW 9 so I bought a P380. The P380 work flawlessly through the break in period and I never had any type of malfunction of any kind. However; due to arthritis in my hands I was unable to work the slide manually. I ended up trading it in for a Glock 42.

13. Tom Hill

Tom Hill Millennium Member

The Kahr P380 is very reliable with the proper ammunition. Because this pistol is so small, the feed ramp is steep and it will have problems with flat nose bullets or bullets with large hollow point openings. Tell you what - try the Hornady Critical defense 90grain FTX and the gun will eat them up like butter.

Sent from my iPad using Glock Talk mobile app

14. LApm9

LApm9

How is the recoil?

15. Tom Hill

Not bad at all. Similar to a small 9mm like the Glock 43, maybe a bit less.

16. LApm9

LApm9

Thanks. I am thinking of going a CW 380 to replace my P32 for deep concealment. I hear a lot of horror stories about recoil in the LCP, so I was concerned.

17. cbetts1

cbetts1

Tombstone tactical has the CW 380 for $288.49. Ships free. I never ordered from them. Found on a search last night.

Kahr has a rebate you could use for a 2nd mag.

18. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

My P380 has been flawless as soon as I got my grip under control and quit hitting the slide stop lever with my thumb. I have a few thousand through it now. I carry Lehigh 90gr XP loaded to about 950fps.

19. Tom Hill

I don’t consider the recoil of the LCP bad either. The Seecamp 380, now that is another story.