Kahr or XD?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Kona2004, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Kona2004

Kona2004

I'm trying to decide what my next purchase will be and thought I'd check here for any suggestions/recommendations. I have a G19, G23, G30SF, M&P9, M&P45 and S&W 438. I'm about to get the G32 barrel for my G23 so that's one more caliber I'll have covered.

Already having three Glocks and two M&P's, I've decided to find something from another manufacturer. It will primarily be a range gun but if I get a smaller model and can conceal it, I will. I currently carry the G19 and G30SF and have thought about the G26 in the past for times when that would be easier to conceal depending on what I'm wearing. As mentioned above, though, I'd like to add another brand to the collection and have been looking at going with either a Kahr or something in Springfield's XD line.

Any recommendations? It's going to be either a 9mm or 45ACP, probably 9mm due to price and availability of ammo. I'm not ruling out another full size handgun as it will more than likely just be a range gun unless I find something smaller than the G19 that I like.

2. megadittos

megadittos

I have a g19, xd45, and kahr pm9. I carry the kahr 95% of the time. Thin, small and light.

3. Kona2004

Kona2004

Other than size and weight, is there anything you like better about the Kahr than the Glock?

What is the biggest factor contributing to the price difference between a comparable Glock and Kahr?

4. G23c

G23c

dont have one, but am looking at the Kahr MK40, seems to be a great gun for cc. let us know what you go with. mahalo.

5. mesteve2

mesteve2

Kahr it is real good if you get one that works.

Quality is what they do not have.

The trigger spring is very weak. When it breaks it must go back the

factory. Those guys hate to replace that part as it is a problem for them.

Glocks are the only guns for me!

6. megadittos

megadittos

No not really, but I have had no troubles out of the gun after the break in period. Have around 2k rounds out of it.

7. JBP55

JBP55

Kahr before XD, but for a range gun G34.

8. Gombu

Gombu

Kahr P9 is my favorite carry pistol.

Small, light and reliable.

9. mteagle1

mteagle1

I guess if you just want a different manufacturer I would go with the XD because I know a gun smith that gives a sweet trigger job but then I have a XD45 Compact, XD45 service and XD45 Tactical. After having a Glock in my hand every day for the past 2 months getting ready for next years GSSF season, I have decided on a G30 for my carry gun.

10. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I'd say XD. Kahr's are nice, but can be hit or miss.

11. Pete14

Pete14

I have a MK9 and I have never had problems and the quality is much nicer than my G23.

Have you ever torn down a Kahr (and no I am not talking about the CW's)and looked at the quality inside?

12. bigswedegml

bigswedegml

Kahr PM9. Great gun, shoots awesome for having such a short barrel. The trigger is very smooth also. I love the fact I can just put it in my pocket and go.

13. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

They are pistols with totally different intended uses.

Any Kahr will be easier to conceal and more comfortable to carry than anything you now have listed, they are VERY thin. I've had three Kahrs, all had issues, one was "good enough", the other two weren't. The polymer framed Kahrs I would say are a little light-weight for range duty, and recoil much more than a full size gun. The all-steel Kahrs have very little recoil and are much more pleasant to shoot. I no longer have any of them.

I also have one XD, a 357sig, and it is completely reliable. It's also a much larger firearm than any Kahr. Mine is for home defense use (among many others).

14. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Kahr's are over priced POS's. You already have a good CCW pistol, the Glock 19.

Save your money and get a nice 1911. :supergrin:

15. bradleyj37

bradleyj37

kahr pm9 hands down

16. bcmclane

bcmclane

:rofl::rofl: Owned quite a few have you?

OP, get a PM9. Mine has been flawless and I can't make it fail. A few days ago I was trying to get it to jam by limp wristing; it wouldn't. I got to the point where I was pinching the grip between my thumb and pointer finger with one hand, then putting the thumb of my other hand on the backstrap and pulling the trigger with that pointer finger. I couldn't believe it worked each and every time. Most of the problems I've read about seem to be with older models.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  17. Gimp

Gimp Old Coot

Don't have a kahr, never fired one.

The XD9 is a reliable gun but bulky package for CCW.

18. leatherman

leatherman

well kona,as u see we all have our opinions on the matter,up untill now my wife has carried her xd sub-9,i mean that is hers and i have to ask to shoot it.
    i been going back and forth with my kahr cw-40/gsf-30.mostly the kahr easier
    after a long day & the way mine shoots full confidence for defense6+1 40 cal.
    butt again just my 2 cents worth

19. Hubadub

Hubadub

I have several fine handguns for cc including a G19.I like every one of them and can shoot all of them pretty well.However,I carry my Kahr PM9 about 95% of the time.I have over 1400 rounds through the little powerhouse without a single problem.It has been totally reliable and I cannot recommend it too highly.I guess one of the biggest plusses is that it is so easily concealed.In my home state of North Carolina the summers can be hellish and the PM9 disappears in a pocket or IWB with a pair of cut-off jeans and a tee shirt.Is it a long range shooter? No. But it`s very accurate at 75 feet or closer with no problem.Recoil is easy to manage even with +P ammo.Try one out if you get the chance. :perfect10:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  20. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

If it's strictly for range duty, go full sized XD.

If you intend to carry it, go Kahr micro series, MK, PM.

hog