Kahr MK40 2003 Elite range report

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by flaman, Jan 17, 2010.

1. flaman

flaman

I have spent years searching for a reliable handgun that I could easily conceal, without settling for anything less than a 9mm. I don't want to start a caliber war, but I consider the 40S&W one of my personal favorites for self defense.

I've carried a Glock 26 for years and love the pistol. I've shot thousands of rounds through it without any failures. With that said, I work in an office environment and I've just never found the "perfect holster" to hide my Glock in, so it usually stays in the glove box. I can't defend myself with a glove box, so I began searching for a new pistol.

I picked up a Kahr MK40 2003 Elite. I love the size of this pistol and how it fits my hand for such a small gun.

I took it to the range today, along with 200 rounds of 180 fmj WWB, and 100 rounds of 165 bonded JHP Winchester Ranger.

My first 50 shots of the WWB box resulted in two FTF's, and one failure to go into battery. I took it apart and cleaned/oiled it. The next 150 rounds of WWB fired flawlessly. I then fired 100 rounds of the Rangers, and again- no problems. FYI... Kahr recommends a 200 round break-in process

I am very impressed with this little pistol. It's a little powerhouse, but the recoil is manageable. I love the dot & post sights. It shot very well- it is extremely accurate. I just ordered a new Fist leather #5 pocket holster- with the no-print panel (6 weeks lead time). Looks like I found what I was looking for...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. Littlescroll

Littlescroll NRA Member

Congratulations! Those are great looking guns. Id love to get my hands on a mk40 or a pm9 in the future. Great size and concealability.

3. G23c

G23c

nice call. much easier to carry/conceal? my EDC is a G27, but I keep looking at the MK40.

4. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Congrats on a fine pistol. I have the MK9 and love it.

5. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I have the MK40 as well......great little ccw.

It is surprising how easy it is to handle the recoil. I'm sure quite a few people have hesitated to get a MK40 for fear of stout recoil.

Sure glad I have mine.

hog

[​IMG]

6. flaman

flaman

"nice call. much easier to carry/conceal?"

Yes... MUCH MUCH easier to conceal. Some say it's too heavy for pocket carry, but I've pocket carried my G26 countless times and it's weight was never an issue for me, only it's size size was (especially the thickness). Since the G26 and the MK4O are nearly identical in weight (fully loaded) I chose the MK40 over what some people recommended-the PM40- which is much lighter. I like the added weight of the MK40 to absorb recoil, and I love it's looks; to me... the MK40 shoots like a miniature Sig.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  7. 69HEMI-R/T

69HEMI-R/T

I have a MK9 for the same reason and I found it used in great condition and cheap. Absolutely reliable and a nice pocket option other than my J frame Smiths!

8. flaman

flaman

I'll post some pictures of my targets later on, Every single bullet traveled through a 2 inch hole at 10 yards- without even trying. Truly amazing!

9. Berto

Berto woo woo

I DO really like the steel Kahrs, would mind an MK series pistol, probably 9mm.