Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Slacked jawed
11,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought this up in another thread. I was looking at getting my first .45, something that I can use while hiking in the woods.

I have two compact 45 in the same price range that I am looking at. One is the Kahr CW45, the other is the Rock Island Armory 1911 subcompact.

The Kahr feels lighter, but I might be in the mood for a steel 1911. What do you guys think.

·
Enslaved in IL
5,775 Posts
My RIA compact is flawless and came from the factory with a smooth 5.25lb trigger.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
rock island.......how many threads you see stating that the rock island they just bought new is a lemon? i've shot both and while i prefer polymer guns for carry i would take a RIA that had been dragged down a rocky road before a new kahr. i just can't trust kahrs although some have been lucky with them

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've had both RIA and KAHR. Get the RIA. Armscor makes very nice guns for the money. The Kahrs that I've had and shot were decent guns. The CW45 that my friend had was OK but with a .45 I like steel.

·
Registered
16,918 Posts
Glock 36

·
Registered
66 Posts
I love, love, love my P45. I know some folks have had issues with Kahrs, but all 3 of mine have been completely reliable (and it's not as if smaller-than-Commander 1911's are paragons of reliability either). The trigger is long but super smooth, and it's incredibly accurate. Recoil isn't fun, but the grip size and texture makes controllability very manageable.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
The CW is kahr's lowest end pistol. RIA makes a damn fine 1911 for a great price.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I am a huge Kahr fan. That being said, most of the problems in the Kahr line currently are with the CW45's. They can't seem to get the mag to stay in some of them.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I can't help with these, but I have a steel Chas Daly 1911 Compac that I bought new, with an extra mag, 20yrs ago. It has never had a hiccup, and is extremely accurate for being so small. It lives in my truck console. Good luck.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have the RIA compact and my son had a Kahr cw45. Based upon my experience and his, go with the RIA or like my son, he traded the Kahr for a G36.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If it was me, I would go with the RIA. Good solid pistol for the money. You can always upgrade a few parts to better suit you if needed. Don't care much for Kahr pistols.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts