Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
woo woo
31,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the newish Kahr CW380 out today and put another 70 thru it. My first 120 were problematic, it wouldn't feed and required several bumps to the slide to complete the chambering process. I figured a stiff new firearm and milquetoast domestic ammo might be the issue.
People recommended AE 95gr as being good in these little guns, along with the xtp jhp, so I bought so of those.
Also, I checked extractor tension and manually slipped a few different types of .380 rounds under the extractor with the gun apart...very difficult to get them in there.
I used a diamond file to break the sharp edges on the bottom of the extractor, this improved things noticeably when cycling cartridges manually.

At the range, the gun ran!I! I still had a few failures of the slide locking back on an empty mag, but the gun feeds, fires and ejects.
Shoots pretty well too, granted it's only 21ft.
Shooting sport Shooting Shooting range Gramophone record Recreation

Soooo much happier now. It looks like it'll be worth the effort to get a few more mags and a holster now.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
It took mine 600 rounds to get sorted out, now it runs perfectly. Kahr sent rplacement springs at no cost, no noticeable improvement.

I remember well when the gun settled in. It suddenly felt “right”.

My other Kahrs have not required this level of breakin.

Reactions: Berto

·
NRA Life Member
13,475 Posts
My CW380 has been 100% straight out of the box. The one thing you have to be careful of with Kahr's is the reassembly of the gun and making sure you don't damage the slide release spring...it's very easy to bend and can cause problems with the slide locking back or not... READ THE MANUAL....there are instructions about this. Don't assume you know how to assemble a Kahr because you know how to assemble a Glock or any other polymer handgun. They are a little different...

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Glad to hear it is coming around. The failure to lock back might be grip related, one thing I dislike about my P380/CW380/PM9 is the relative size if the slide release. It took a while to get my grip to where I wasn't either prematurely locking back or riding it such that empty lock back might fail (less often a problem than premature).

·
Registered
765 Posts
Berto, I'm glad that your CW380 is improving. When you bought and was having trouble with it I felt a little responsible since I had posted how mine was running perfectly after the break in period.

Mine is still running without problem using AE round nose rounds and Gold Dots. Hope you own clears up completely.

Mine is a special use gun. Other than the range I use it only for carrying during my cycling rides. Fits well in a Sticky holster in the back pocket of my cycling jerseys.

·
woo woo
31,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My CW380 has been 100% straight out of the box. The one thing you have to be careful of with Kahr's is the reassembly of the gun and making sure you don't damage the slide release spring...it's very easy to bend and can cause problems with the slide locking back or not... READ THE MANUAL....there are instructions about this. Don't assume you know how to assemble a Kahr because you know how to assemble a Glock or any other polymer handgun. They are a little different...
I actually don't have the manual, but recognised the alignment marks and 'hump' needing to be in the right spot. There's been no issues in takedown or reassembly. As a 1911 guy, I tend to be careful with slide stops.
Glad to hear it is coming around. The failure to lock back might be grip related, one thing I dislike about my P380/CW380/PM9 is the relative size if the slide release. It took a while to get my grip to where I wasn't either prematurely locking back or riding it such that empty lock back might fail (less often a problem than premature).
With the cross section of pistols I shoot, I've sorta morphed away from thumbs straight forward to thumbs locked down. It seems to keep me out of trouble with my 422 and it's release location ,the makarov and its slide mounted decocker ('down' to fire) and keeping my Kimbers grip safety off.

·
10MM WOOOOOOT
5,833 Posts
Glad it's working, great little pocket gun.

Reactions: Berto

·
Banned
2,903 Posts
The Cw/Ct 380 series are decent carry guns, I have the Ct 380 & it runs great, the add'tn of a magguts kit brought the capacity up to 8+1, which is impressive for such a little gun.

The extra power mag spring gets the rounds 'up there' so it runs all the ammo I've tried in it.

I may do your extractor tune for mine as well, Thanks for the tip.

·
woo woo
31,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a pm 40 it works great my friend bought a cw 380 with a gold spray paint job what a pos wont chamber a round should of bought a lcp a Taurus tcp or a glock 42
I haven't had much luck with any small .380 to be honest, but this one was fairly cheap. Lots of mixed reviews on most of these guns, even the Glock...I think it's the nature of tiny guns with tiny springs, no slide mass and very critical ammo preference.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I haven't had much luck with any small .380 to be honest, but this one was fairly cheap. Lots of mixed reviews on most of these guns, even the Glock...I think it's the nature of tiny guns with tiny springs, no slide mass and very critical ammo preference.
Some how I ended up with more small 380 ACP pistols then I would have ever thought. Use them when I travel and want to hide them in plain sight. I like to shoot all kinds of guns just for fun. These little 380's are never on that list. I do shoot them to keep in practice. I did buy a 13 shot Beretta 84 awhile back. It is fun to shoot and it is my back up for when I am to old and feeble to shoot my current guns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts