Kahr CW 380

Discussion in 'Kahr Club' started by Ken43, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Ken43

Ken43

I went to a gun store yesterday and bought a Kahr CW 380. Went to the range this morning and shot the required number of rounds for break in. I shot Remington 95 gr. FMJ, Winchester 95 gr. FMJ flat nose, and Hornady 90 gr.XTP. The gun functioned with out any malfunctions of any kind. People have said that the CW 380 will not shoot Winchester flat nose FMJ. I say BS. It shot very well and was more accurate than the Remington. I am very happy with the gun and the way it functions.

beaversgs, zaitcev and dudel like this.
  2. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

Good report. Thanks for sharing. the CW 380 is on my short list. I have a Kahr CM9 that has been 100% from the first round.

S.George likes this.

3. S.George

S.George

I conquer the report. Same story with my new Kahr CW380

4. S.George

S.George

Agree with you. I have an MK9, CM9 and CW380. Flawless operation on all. They do need to be broken in.

5. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I too have not found break in a requirement, so far, knock on wood. I have owned a CW380, P380, CM9 and PM9 and about to pick up a CT380 today. Of the above I have owned, none needed a break in period, knock on wood.

As far as the CW380 and P380, neither has been bullet profile sensitive. My practice load is uses a PD 95gr RNFP bullet which feed flawlessly. I have shot GD's, HSTs, Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators and Defenders, XTPs, even some WFN lead, never any feed issues.

On the 380's, I stay away from the hot stuff (so called +P) from the likes of Underwood, etc., I found these hot loadings create too much slide velocity and the slide really batters the frame. It actually got so bad on my P380, I had to cut some of the mushroomed plastic away on the frame so the RSA would go back in when reassembling.

6. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Congrats and enjoy your new 380

7. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Update on the new CT380.

Picked it up today. I shot 200 rounds of my PD 95 gr FMJ/FP, through it. This load clocks in at about 925fps from my P380, likely a little higher from the CT380. I also shot 50 rounds of Federal AE through it, pretty light stuff, looked like a plated 100gr RN bullet.

The gun had 6 stoppages in the first 3 magazines (loaded with 7+1 each cycle) of my 95gr PD loads. After that, zero feed failures. I suppose that qualifies as my breakin period. :)

I didn't shoot the CT380 quite as well as I shoot my P380, I suspect it will take a few more practice sessions before I get used to shooting with my pinky on the grip. All in all I am pretty pleased. I ordered some Talon grip panels and a couple of 8 round MagGuts magazine extensions (so I will have 9 total when fully loaded for carry) and 8 in reserve, my normal carry routine.

All in all, a good first practice for the new CT380, but it did take a small breakin, my first for a Kahr mouse gun.

8. ScoPro

ScoPro

My CT380 ran flawlessly with AE, Remington, & Hornady - but wouldn't shoot WWB at all, not even a primer dent.

Nicest shooting .380 pocket gun I've ever had (Keltec/Ruger/Remington/AMT)

[​IMG]

beaversgs likes this.
  9. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks for the report...

10. LApm9

LApm9

I am thinking about ditching my P32 Keltec for a CW380. How is the recoil?

ssgrock3 likes this.
  11. Pteridine

Pteridine

The CW380 is compact and recoil is readily manageable. It is heavier and feels more substantial than the Keltec and clones. It is accurate and not overly sensitive to ammunition. Occasionally, the slide will fail to lock back and this is magazine dependent.
    The biggest downside to the CW380 is the recoil spring. The correct way to chamber a round is to lock the slide back, insert the magazine, and release the slide. If you are at all arthritic, racking this little devil is difficult. Women often don't have the hand strength to rack and lock the slide back.

ETA: The striker design is somewhat fragile and strikers tend to fail at some point, usually after a great deal of dry fire or multiple hundreds of rounds. Sometimes there is a warning with light strikes and sometimes they fail without warning. Purportedly, there is an aftermarket striker that is more substantial.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  12. Kcolg

Kcolg Millennium Member

I have both the P32 and CW380. Recoil feels the same to me. What you are going to love is the much better, smooth trigger pull of the Kahr.