Kahr CT40

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by TheSlowLane, Apr 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TheSlowLane

TheSlowLane

Picked up a Kahr CT40 for $180 in nice shape. What experiences have you guys had with these. I like how thin it is for a 40.
    Thanks for any input!

2. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I have a kahr cw 40. It has been flawless with a great trigger. The mags are expensive. But that's the only negative thing I can think of. I think it's an excellent carry gun. Trigger heavy enough it's not easy to ever make a mistake, yet good enough you can hit well with it to 50 feet.... it's going to be used at 1 to 7 yards if it ever needs to be used. I prefer to never need to do that in my lifetime.

TheSlowLane likes this.

3. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Tell me the size of yours ?? Is it polymer receiver like the cw40 ?

4. TheSlowLane

TheSlowLane

It is poly, stainless upper, 4"barrel, grip is a tad bit longer than you'd expect but not much. Fits my hands well. Holds 7+1. Thanks for your post.

5. TheSlowLane

TheSlowLane

Oh, and the trigger is super comfortable. Aluminum i think and contoured really well. Only one short trip to the range to test reloads. The only thing I don't care for is how sharp the magazine lips are but not a big deal. I understand it's the same as the more expensive TP series pistols with the exception of a standard rifled barrel and MIM slide lock. Really is no sacrifice for me personally.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1

I carried a TP 40 for 7 years as my EDC, The trigger is stainless steel . It is a +P rated pistol and the ammo I carried and shot a mag full monthly was underwood 155gr that from my barrel averaged 1321fps . Practice ammo was home rolled 155gr coated swc at 1260fps and had 8500 rounds thru it when I gave in to son in law do to hand surgeries . It was reliable for the 7 years from the first round fired and and now 5 more that its been my son in laws EDC .

Add a wolff reduced pressure striker spring for a 1lb lower trigger pull weight and it will still be reliable for a couple thousand rounds a tleast . That's when I changes striker and recoil spring .

I've never had issues MIM and have them in most of my handguns . Consider that rockets have used major MIM parts for 40 years and every commercial aircraft has mim turbine blades in them and the finest metals in the world today are the super alloys made from powdered metals !! Only difference is for firearms you can tune a sear and hammer to tighter spec than mim but you can also screw up the parts . I seen 1911's go full auto by bad "tuneing "

I have 4 kahrs , an still have my cm9 setting in front of me now with around 3000 rounds of +p ammo thru it an a cw9 and has closer to 6000 rounds of mixed loads that my oldest girls EDC and a ct45 that's well its the best shooter over all but loads are lower pressure in general . My tp40 seems to have two piece slide hold open so maybe mim lever on machines stainless steel shaft , maybe .

Your ct40 will fit most 1911 "mid size " and small defender ultra model holsters as those 4" kahrs are not shown by most holster makers and a safariland 27 makes for a good iwb that easy to reholster in from defensive drills I bought a couple metal mag bases to clean up the lines and shorten the over all length .

powernoodle and TheSlowLane like this.
  7. TheSlowLane

TheSlowLane

Thanks Hardluk1 for the detailed info, much appreciated!

8. powernoodle

powernoodle

Excellent post, Hardluk. I have had a similar experience with my PM9 and P9. I am on the brink of ordering a CT9, i.e., 8+1 9mm. At only 0.9" wide, and with the smoothest trigger action on any striker gun anywhere, Kahrs are a pleasure to carry and shoot.

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/ct9-ct9093/

hardluk1 and TheSlowLane like this.
  9. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

I’m back on the kahr boat myself. Having started my edc with a cm9/cw9, then went to a g26, I picked up a cm9 last month and it is a dream to carry.

Excellent guns, and hard to beat iwb. I plan to grab a ct45 when I find one.

TheSlowLane likes this.