Kabooms

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by The Viking, Jun 8, 2020.

1. GCF

GCF

You know, that REALLY IS a good point - assuming no irregularities (I never say never) in the powder flow.

Doubt I'll be dumping my ultra versatile 550 any time soon, but THANKS for keeping me on my toes regardless.

2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

all semi autos have some degree of barrel ramp, otherwise they wouldn't feed the round.

[​IMG]

3. MajorD

MajorD

I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to duplicate in testing such an incident By intentionally shooting overcharged rounds in various pistols to see the results.But saying glocks kaboom more often is sort of like saying Labrador retrievers bite more people than any other dog breed ( which is actually true- because labs are the most common dog breed!)
    A round that kabooms in a Glock because of improper assembly at the factory or reloading bench would very likely do the same to any other gun it was fired in. A properly assembled reload is perfectly safe in a Glock of course.
    I have even for at least 25 years been using cast bullets also with no problems as well.
    Regarding weighing loaded rounds there is simply too much variation in the weight of brass and bullets to use this as a technique to detect a double charge considering the very small amounts of powder involved.

CanyonMan and Mike-M like this.
  4. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Back in the day I blew up a G20 inadvertently with a double load of VV 3N37 loaded on a Dillon 550. The upper was not damaged - to everyone's surprise. Even the Glock technicians shook their heads in disbelieve. The receiver was split and done of course and my thumb was bruised but not torn up.

I have seen one or two 9mm Glocks blown up; Hirtenberger ammo was loaded VERY HOT in those days and some wise guys (not me) pushed the envelope by loading even hotter.

5. pwinter

pwinter

I separated the suspect rounds, and they are in a plastic bag. Now if my bullet puller, which was supposed to arrive yesterday, ever gets here, I'll check them out.

6. pwinter

pwinter

Yes, as I discovered, you are quite right.

7. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Mr Glock, what does a double of VV 3N37 look like in a 10mm? It looks like for a 180 grain your starting load is at 6 grains? It didn't spill over the case at 12 grains?

8. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

"Average" with what spread? Is your brass the same brand, preferably the same lot number?

I am loading 9mm with mixed brass that can vary in weight by as much as the powder charge, so weighing loaded ammo tells me nothing about powder. I have done it to tell whether an odd round has a 124 or 147 gr bullet, though. (If 124, it gets pulled because I don't load the same style 124 as 147, MY ammo is identifiable by appearance and a 124 that looks like a 147 is somebody else's in range pickup.)

9. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

The difference in brass weight can be as much as the charge weight. Weighing loaded doesn't work unless you have all the same head stamp. You also have to know what the throw weight variation is for that powder, some are +/- .1 grains, some can be up to +/- .3 grains, and the bullet weight variation.

10. nerr

nerr

sorry. Deleting. Just saw bullets were silver-tip.

11. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

I caught your post before you deleted it, and yes, urban myth.

12. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Since when do lawyers know anything at all about gun design? Glock will just bring in their proof testing results, along with stress analysis, and illustrate a Glock is no different than any other semi auto, except it has a plastic frame.

ranger1968 likes this.
  13. pwinter

pwinter

The weight of brass with different head stamps will vary all over the place. The 84g I mentioned was for the same brand of brass, stamped "WCC." Even with that, there was a lot of variance.

I have an after-market device on my 440 that dispenses powder with every pull of the lever. That works great as long as nothing interrupts my rhythm. But if I have a primer that doesn't seat properly, and have to replace that case in the turret, a second pull of the lever (to de prime the fresh case) would dispense a double charge to the case that already has powder. I definitely have to keep my wits about me.

14. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

What's a 440? Never mind, you meant a Dillon 450, yup, manual indexer just like the 550.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  15. Bradley T

Bradley T

My recent used reloading equipment purchase (Rock Chucker) included stuff to load 9mm Parabellum. I loaded up ammo in slightly increasing powder charge increments until the G17 cycled reliably. It is still just a little above the starting charge listed in the reloading manuals.
    I use a powder measure in a very consistent manner each with each cartridge, weigh each charge, then eyeball the loaded powder levels of all cartridges as they sit in the tray, then compare each cartridge's charge with the others as I start each bullet. Each cartridge goes through about three windows of scrutiny before a bullet gets started. That's how you avoid a "grenade" situation, I think.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020