Kabooms

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by The Viking, Jun 8, 2020.

1. The Viking

The Viking

I have a friend who recently experienced a kaboom in his G 21 45 acp Glock. Fortunately he was not hurt; but it did scare him. The cause was a wrongly loaded 45 acp round. Bothered him enough that now he jokingly refers to his Glocks as the Austrian hand grenade.
    Now I have heard of kabooms with 40 caliber Glocks and 45 caliber Glocks; but never with a 9mm Glock 17 or 19. Has anyone heard of a kaboom with a 9mm?

2. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

I don’t reload and personally would not use any reloaded ammo in my Glocks. There is a well known chamber issue that has been discussed widely.

I’m sure there are folks who do it well but I just won’t take that chance. I heard about the reload issues before I ever even owned a Glock.

nerr likes this.

3. TNRonin

TNRonin Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner! Millennium Member

It happens, just an occupational risk. Less likely with factory ammo, but it does happen.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

4. N0Glock

N0Glock

The "well known " issues were with some very early .40 glocks, I have personally seen this, it was fixed long ago, as far as I know Portland Police had a couple with G-21's many years ago that were traced to bad ammo, and no unless someone screws up a reload I don't know of any in a 9mm, I have shot many thousands of reloads through several 9mm glocks without an issue.

5. GLOCK22JUNKIE

GLOCK22JUNKIE

I don't shoot reloads, and I wear gloves at the range.

6. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

If you cancel out all of the KB's that involve drunk reloads, or steel cased russian ammo........there's almost none left.

You want real crazy? 9mm 1911's have a habit of kabooming when you clear them. Round slips off of the poorly tuned extractor, with the primer aimed at the ejector. Boom!

That's why you see many competition shooters STILL not using modern overhand racking techniques. I overhand, but just a bit slower with 1911's and 2011's.

ak103k and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  7. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

All manufacturers say not to use reloads!

Darkangel1846 likes this.
  8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

This, was with "factory ammo..."

In 46 years hand loading, and "TONS," of cast lead and other stuff through OEM Glock barrels and all other guns, I have "NOT ONCE," ever, had an issue of a bad kind, other than some little minor thing, with a primer ...

If hand loads are done carelessly, shame on the hand loader. If done properly, no problems. Glocks, shoot "well put together hand loads," as good as any gun! ;)

CanyonMan!
    :horse:

pics 002.jpg pics 008.jpg pics 018.jpg

ak103k and mike from st pe like this.
  9. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Bad ammo is bad ammo, no matter the source. If you're not smart enough to figure out basic pistol loading, you probably shouldn't be handling guns.

Bluescot, ak103k, buddyd157 and 2 others like this.
  10. Road Dog

Road Dog Senior Member Millennium Member

Running out of spec ammo through any gun is likely to damage it. The early Glock 40s were known for gratuitous chamber space. Throw in some bad reloads and its a recipe for disaster. Don't overlook setback due to a round being loaded and unloaded a few times.

DJ Niner likes this.
  11. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

"Wrongly loaded" ammo can blow up ANY firearm. Period.

In a quick search, I found a G34 and G17 in the first few pages of results, which confirms what I thought; it happens, but it's quite a bit more common in the larger caliber Glocks than in 9mm.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    CanyonMan likes this.
  12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

What caused that? A double charge?

13. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Canyon, excellent KB example. I have witnessed many KBs, 9, 40, and 45 with factory ammo. But no one can call a double without knowing what press they load on, what powder and charge weight, what bullet maker and weight, and what OAL, and what brass. That's all BS from someone who has never re-loaded. The only progressive that can double is a Dillon 550, not looking at turrets or single stage presses. Those are operator screw ups. No other re-loader can run backwards. The index pawl hits the shell plate long before the powder thru die hits the case.

mike from st pe likes this.
  14. The Viking

The Viking

I reload 9mm on a Dillion 550 and if there is a double charge you can see with your naked eye. You have to be alert when reloading. It is not something you can do and watch tv; and you have to do a quality check every few rounds. I like Unique - a bit dirty yes but we are old friends.

15. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Hey buddy...
    We don't really know for sure. I loaded some of these up in the G3 G20, and bang, next one KABOOM!! leaving my "physical battering out," I sent the gun to WW, (i was using their factory Silver tips in that 10). They contacted me very quickly after they received the bits and pieces of everything. They said their forensic team could in no wise determine what blew that chamber that bad... There was NO brass or anything remaining after the Kaboom, so all they could do was guess. Appears a double charge, or the used barrel I bought from a friend. (very long story man). That is it!

They took the blame, and bought me a brand new blue label G20SF... Hat is off to WW.

I rarely buy factor ammo. I rarely bought it 'before' the Kaboom... Ha.
    Rollin my own has been workin perfect for over four decades.... ;)

Stay safe Amigo!

CM

jmohme and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  16. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

A lawsuit filed against Glock in Arizona does name the Gen 4 G21's among those that they feel can Kaboom.

https://www.classaction.org/media/melian-et-al-v-glock-incorporated-et-al.pdf

This is a class action lawsuit (hey, anybody can sue anybody, it doesn't prove anything!), but it will be interesting to watch unfold. I have a few of the scary Glock kaboom-guns listed, so (like many of us) I could be part of the class (but I won't, I am not a fan of these sorts of lawsuits chipping away at gun companies, and I am perfectly fine with my Glock's).

But according to this, a Gen 4 G21 is included on the kaboom candidate list. I am just sharing the facts about what has been filed. Bear in mind that this is written by lawyers filing a lawsuit (and trying to get a subsequent financial award).

From the suit:

"Each gun contains a feed ramp that is too long and goes into the chamber causing alack of chamber support for the round/casing which causes the force of a fired round to exert unreasonable pressures upon the round/casing in the 6 o’clock position (the “Unsupported Chamber Defect”or “Defect”). This defect creates a “blow out”or a “kaboom”which is a dangerous situation which causes the round/casing to separate and dislodge a piece of the casing at the 6 o’clock position.Upon information and belief, and based on reasonable investigation, these defects will repeatedly and verifiably manifest in the Class Guns." - page 2 of link above

"The Class Guns include, but are not limited to the following models/series: Model 22, 22 Gen 4, 23, 23 Gen 4, 24, 27, 27 Gen 4, 35, 35 Gen 4, 35 Gen 4 MOS, 22 cut, 22P, 23 cut, 23P,21 Gen 4, 21SF, 30 Gen4, 30s, 30SF, 36, 41 Gen4, 41Gen 4 MOS, 37, 38, 39, 20 Gen4, 20 SF, 29 Gen 4, 29SF, and 40 Gen 4 MOS..." - page ten of link above

17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

You have an advantage somewhat on me here, as I have used a single stage RCBS press for 46 years.... I do them one at a time, and NO powder dumper, and an electronic scale. I know it is a snails pace, to those who have progressive equipment, but I can run a hundred in about and hour and a half. I realize some of you guys can do that in a couple minutes. Hats off to y'all. But late at night, or when I have the time, and hour here and there, 'carefully examining each round,' I don't have issues. At the end of the week, with just a little time at night, "that I enjoy," I have 4-500rds, 'quality rounds,' and their 'good to go' outside and have some fun.

Just never trusted anything but 'me,' and my 'quality inspection/care.... ;)

Be safe!

CM

mike from st pe and GCF like this.
  18. GCF

GCF

I'm a relative newbie handloader - only at it about 25 years, or so. I load primarily on a Dillon 550, but can tell you, maximum number of rounds produced per hour, is NOT something I'm interested in. Not in the least. Recipe for disaster - IMHO.

That said, to each, his own. A man's gotta know his limitations. I like to think that I know mine, but don't know the next guy's. As such, I don't shoot someone else's hand loads.

I go slow, & pay attention - start to finish. Don't load when I'm fatigued, distracted, or just not in the mood. Sweatin' the small stuff, seems to pay off.

Questionable brass goes in the trash. Don't see any reason to push the ragged edge of "performance" either - tight groups at moderate velocity suit me fine.

Is hand loading for everyone? Not IMO. For some of us though, it is at least HALF the experience of firearm ownership / operation...

DJ Niner and CanyonMan like this.
  19. pwinter

pwinter

I recently bought a digital grain scale to replace or supplement my beam scale. After reloading about 100 rounds one at a time on my 450, and inspecting every one after dumping powder, I decided to check the weight of the finished rounds. I first weighed empty cases, and they average about 84g. The bullets weigh very close to 200.1g, and the powder charge is right on 4.6g. That would mean a round should weigh very close to 289g. So if I did double charge, the round should weigh 293.3g, or very close to that. Well, about 15 rounds weighed waaay more than even 293g! I know I DID NOT DOUBLE CHARGE. But just to make sure, I have a bullet puller arriving today.

20. GCF

GCF

Understand what you are trying to do (good idea), but with pistol ammo, bullet / brass weight variation will make you crazy.

The main thing is that you know you didn't double charge - because you were paying attention. I'm NOT about to discourage you from double checking your work, but generally, if a guy is paying attention in the first place, & has a brain fart / lapse in attention - he will realize pretty quick that he may have screwed up a few. THAT'S the time to go back & pull bullets. Hopefully at that point, you haven't been throwing your "completed" rounds, into a bin with a couple hundred others - identical in appearance...