Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the advancements of bullet performance over the last 15 or so years, you can have it all within the premium loads: expansion plus penetration. In the 70s, you had hollow points that would expand, but not penetrate deep enough. Or you had loads with no expansion, penetrated plenty but basically poked a hole through the subject.

Almost every article or film I see today, including so called "ballistic" experts, trauma room surgeons and LE with a lot of feedback from what really happens on the streets seem now to have the same theme: with today's advanced hi end defense ammo, there is very little difference in incapcitation between the best of the 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 and 45. Basically, it typically takes multiple rounds to put down the bad guy.

I just bought a G21 Gen4, and although I love the idea of 13+1 rounds of 45 hollowpoints, it seems like a tank/two X four compared to my G23 and G27. Am I really picking up something extra by having such a large glock in 45 for home defense?

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
I think that whatever you shoot best is probably the best for a home defense handgun between your G21 G23 and G27. I am also cavalier enough regarding home defense to be comfortable with having a gun someplace in the room but not wearing it.

To me, a better reason to have a .45 right now than the gain (if any) that you get from the caliber is the possibility that when it is time to go to the range and you can't find any .40 you might be able to find some .45. I have never found a need for a Glock 21, but I have carried a USP in .45 during the week for well more than a decade now. With the advances in ammunition over the years I would be happier with a 9mm now than I was in 1995 when the USP was new.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The 21 is known for being one of the softest recoiling 45s ever. You speak about multiple shots taking down a BG, I'd want something that is easy to get back on target. The 21 is very fast to get back on target. I love mine and i have a Gen 3. The Gen 4 is supposed to be even softer due to the new RSA. All of this is useless if it doesn't fit your hand.

Its the best 45 ever if it fits you. Have you even shot it yet? I'd assume not, cause you probably wouldn't have started this thread.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, I have shot it, and it is without the doubt, one of the softest shooting 45s I have shot. I also have an all steel customized Colt Combat Comander, and a Sig 220 Carry and was amazed how the Gen 4, and I assume the new recoil spring, soak up recoil.

Size wise, I am still on the fence of my small hands and the G21 grip. What I will do is what I did with my G23 and Sig 229 in 40: take them out to the range and do a one on one test. The Sig 229 is now a safe queen (can't seem to part with it) and my G23 is both my carry gun or with light home gun.

I know this is a sin to say, but I want to reduce the number of handguns and rifles I have, and concentrate and be a better shot with a few. I don't want to be the owner of many but master of none. I like the old saying of beware of the man with one gun: because he will know how to use it.

I got a good deal on the G21, with plenty of hi cap mags. But so far like my G23 better as it seems more versital. But the G21 has good potential for being my dedicated home gun, with a tac light on it with appropriate hoslter.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Husk- You answered your own question. 13+1 .45= tank.
Most of the time i carry a little .380, but it's put away when i'm home. And my G21 is my go to handgun, along with shotgun,AK,AR, you never know:supergrin: Keep the G23 for carry if you like it. But then i'm a .45 guy with lots of ammo. If your not that big in what caliber you use, then like you said, condence down and practice more. The G23 will do you just fine.:wavey:

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I truly believe being proficient with you firearm is more important than caliber. Carry a quality gun, in a service caliber, loaded quality SD ammo, that you shoot the best.

Your very worst day at the range
is likely to be better than how you will shoot in a self defense situation.
Tunnel vision, loss of fine motor skills
and the rest that goes with an adrenalin dump complicates everything.

In my mind, the value of larger caliber weapons, particularly a 45?
1) No hollow point always expands.
In a worst case scenario, no expansion/plugged tip,
I feel a 230 gr 45 may have an advantage.
2) You may not always be able to get that Ranger T/HST/GDHP +P
wamma-jamma you like to carry all the time.
With whatever brand, standard pressure, old technology HPs -
I feel that 45 ACP may have an advantage.

Don't want to argue or debate this topic.
Just sharing my personal opinion - for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have had a couple of G21's and while they are a great combat handgun looking at a few real life situations I would rather have a handgun that easy to put as many rounds on target as possible, also I want a handgun that can pack as many rounds in the lightest package as possible so I switched to a G34 with some 147 gr HST's in the mag.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I have large hands and the G21 grip for whatever reason just does not fit. It just seems to wide yet my G30 fits me fine.
The G30 with a G21 mag and A&G adapter works for me! For carry I use the 10 rd mag.
I also have the G23/27 but the G30 is my favorite hands down! It also makes big holes! I like the compact and sub compact Glocks the best.

·
Registered
190 Posts
With the advancements of bullet performance over the last 15 or so years, you can have it all within the premium loads: expansion plus penetration. In the 70s, you had hollow points that would expand, but not penetrate deep enough. Or you had loads with no expansion, penetrated plenty but basically poked a hole through the subject.

Almost every article or film I see today, including so called "ballistic" experts, trauma room surgeons and LE with a lot of feedback from what really happens on the streets seem now to have the same theme: with today's advanced hi end defense ammo, there is very little difference in incapcitation between the best of the 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 and 45. Basically, it typically takes multiple rounds to put down the bad guy.

I just bought a G21 Gen4, and although I love the idea of 13+1 rounds of 45 hollowpoints, it seems like a tank/two X four compared to my G23 and G27. Am I really picking up something extra by having such a large glock in 45 for home defense?
I think there are two things to consider here and they're definitely tiered. First, as Barth said, whatever you shoot best at speed is what you should carry and use for HD. That IMHO, is the most important thing. If you shoot .40 or 45 as well as 9mm or at least close to as well, I think whatever your comfortable with is what you should carry or use for HD. I know mil guys and LEOs that won't carry 9mm pistols if they have the choice. They think 9mm is under powered. Since they shoot the other calibers well, comfort becomes the next consideration.

Take your situation into consideration and decide what works best for you.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I have both the g23 and g21 gen 3. I love shooting them both and both fit my hand great. I think you should keep both as they are great for what they are. Shoot a lot with them and get accurate with your guns. I'm a big dude and would run if someone shot a .22 my direction. So in my opinion caliber doesn't matter as much as accuracy, but 45's are awesome calibers and the g21 is a great gun. Also, more guns equals more fun if you can afford.

·
Regular Guy
1,789 Posts
There is probably no better HOUSE handgun than the G21. It may be too big for some to carry, but with a light, a cellphone and a spare magazine, its one hell of a HD option. It's my go-to even before the 12 gauge because of ease of handling, one-handed operation and penetration issues. You can't go wrong here OP.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you want the best in defense and better one shot kills get a g20. With full power 10mm you get a sonic shock wave along with the normal damage of the round. From shooting deer with mine I can tell u that one round to center mass is going to put a guy down. It drops deer in there tracks. But u must use real full power stuff. Not the watered down crap most companies put out. My hunting load is a shallow hp 200 gr hard cast at 1400fps. For carry I use 195 gr deep hp hard cast bullet at 1250. I have shot a few small game animals with the deep hp. Wow. What a mess. The front half of the bullet is like a ballistic tip and the base just keeps penatrating.

·
Banned
12,951 Posts
If you really believe that all calibers hit equally than why did you go with the 23 and 27 instead of a 19 and 26?

I personally don't buy the 9mm = 357 mag = 357 Sig = 40 S&W = 10mm = 45 ACP = 44 mag = 45 Colt bs. If weight, initial diameter and velocity were as immaterial as that argument suggests we could all just rely on 22 LR for fastest follow up shots and call it a day.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Look everything about a G21 & .45cal says AWESOME SHOOTER! I favor the G31 &32 but, the .45 has put down many bad guys & won many comps! I can shoot a 12" group at 100yds with my stock gen3! I feel just as safe with g21 as I do with any of my other blocks!

JUST DO IT!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Am I really picking up something extra by having such a large glock in 45 for home defense?
As far as ballistics go? Not very much advantage.

As far as shootability? Well, that is up to you. I happen to shoot my Gen 4 21 better than any other handgun, so it's my go-to. I love my 19 and 26, but I'm like a damn laser with my 21. It's on the bedside in a holster every night, right next to the 870, and if I'm wearing anything more than a t-shirt, it's on my side.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
If you really believe that all calibers hit equally than why did you go with the 23 and 27 instead of a 19 and 26?

I personally don't buy the 9mm = 357 mag = 357 Sig = 40 S&W = 10mm = 45 ACP = 44 mag = 45 Colt bs. If weight, initial diameter and velocity were as immaterial as that argument suggests we could all just rely on 22 LR for fastest follow up shots and call it a day.
Absolutely. +1 on that.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.