close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Civil Liberties Justice for Justine

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by zzclancy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. "Doc" Cavalry

"Doc" Cavalry MAJ (USA Ret.)

Not so sure.

"Noor's partner, Officer Matthew Harrity, told investigators he was startled by a loud noise right before Damond approached the driver's side window of their police SUV."

Wonder if anyone else heard that loud noise?

janice6 likes this.

2. fastbolt

fastbolt

Probably depends if there was anyone else around, and close enough, who could have heard such a noise.

Sometimes witnesses unexpected come out of the bushes and woodwork, and other times a huge crowd didn't see or hear anything that happened right in their midst.

Hopefully, the investigative report will contain a suitable answer to your question.

"Doc" Cavalry likes this.
  3. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Why does it take so long?

4. fastbolt

fastbolt

For anyone else who missed the embedded link to the other article, when some Minneapolis residents questioned Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman on Sunday, here's the link.
    http://www.startribune.com/freeman-answers-questions-in-damond-shooting/443607803/

A couple interesting comments further in the article:
    and

5. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Actually I wasn't asking about their excuses for not being able to do their jobs in an expeditious manner. I was asking why it took so long to do their jobs.

6. fastbolt

fastbolt

Ever been involved in a normal shooting, let alone one which resulted in the death of someone, and a HIGH profile case, at that?

Investigations, if done properly, don't happen in an "expeditious" manner. Not if you want to have the best one that can be done, and not if you want to have the best chance of a successful prosecution.

They need to be done properly, which means carefully, painstakingly, often laboriously, and looking at everything from as many angles as may be possible (or seem prudent), because you know the defense is going to do that, once discovery provides them with all your work, looking for "problems" in your investigation.

Then, there's the obvious issue of an outside agency having to do the investigation, and they have to come in and do everything, dealing with the agency involved in the shooting, as well as any witnesses, gathering evidence from same, etc. They're going to (hopefully) be very, very careful in their work product ... and especially when it's the sort of case that is going to be minutely studied during a trial for months, and is a highly public incident (and in this case, one with international attention and interest). That investigative process takes as long as it takes.

Personally, I think the DA in this instance is being pretty optimistic in apparently thinking his best and most experienced staff will be able to sort through everything and render a decision in only approx 90 days.

Also, it's not unlikely they may send some questions back to the investigating agency which may require some additional investigative work, too. Maybe they might see some oversights, or discover new questions based on info in the investigation, which they feel will be relevant. A new witness might decide to come forward ... or an existing witness might change their statement, or something might surface which impeaches (or at least raises a question about) their previous statement. These things can come with some unexpected surprises now and again.

They aren't going to want to make any missteps for what would obviously prove to be a HIGHLY public trial, if they believe charges are merited, and they will want to have the best case they can put together if they hope to win a case prosecuting those charges.

This isn't the sort of case where you just go home and think about it over the weekend, and then say to yourself, "We've got a good enough case, let's do it and see what happens".

7. steve4102

steve4102

Every body heard a noise, it was around Idependance Day and people were blasting of fireworks in the area.

zzclancy likes this.
  8. ZX12R

ZX12R Silver Member

I'm not defending, this Noor guy one bit, not one bit! But from what we know, which is very little, unless this guy is a psycho, the only explanation that makes sense to me, at this point, is a "Neglegent Discharge".

That would explain shooting an unarmed woman, and discharging your weapon, probably mere inches from your partners face. Moron! I hope (fastbolt) is right, and they make sure and dot all the i's, and cross all the t's!!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Mtnfolk75, zzclancy and janice6 like this.
  9. Taz

Taz

Generally speaking, because real life isn't CSI or NCIS or Law & Order where everything wraps up neatly in 45 minutes.

EVERY single forensic lab in the nation is backed up. Should they bring this case to the front and loose time on other cases just to appease those who can't wait? Investigators need to do their work. The LAST thing you want is some guy rushing his work and making an error that results in a thrown out case or wrongful prosecution.

I agree that it would be nice to have all the resources right there ready to jump on the next case, but that isn't how it works.

10. CAcop

CAcop

Let's say they want to canvas the neighborhood to find potential witnesses.

Would one pass be sufficient?

Should they go back and try to interview people who they didn't get to because they were home?

Should we just limit it to immediate neighbors?

Or should we go 2 to 3 blocks out?

Or should we just throw the phone number to call on the press release for people to call in hoping we get all the witnesses we need?

I am beginning to think we need to draft people into police departments. One because we are short. Two because people really need to see just how finite resources are.

n2g, dudel, wprebeck and 3 others like this.
  11. steve4102

steve4102

Or it was something else.

zzclancy likes this.
  12. "Doc" Cavalry

July 15?

Did every body hear one loud noise, or two?

13. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Police radio reports had fireworks being set off in the area. I do not recall how many, or the exact timing as compared to the arrival of Noor and his partner.

14. "Doc" Cavalry

Just curious, they usually stop around here on the 4th. Not uncommon to hear a few the day before. Can't remember hearing fireworks the day after ever.

15. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

Keep in mind that my comment does not reflect support of the accused officer - because as of now, with the limited amount I know about the case, I do not -

Fireworks are an irritating fact of life for up to two weeks after the holiday. It's as if the bastards have to be irritating little pricks....

16. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

Please, enlighten us with how YOU would do the job. Can't wait to hear the details of how much better your investigation - or supervision of the investigation - would be.

17. walt cowan

walt cowan

quotas.....killing good people since 1960.

18. BradD

BradD

I doubt that's what he means.

I don't know how long it should take, but the process -- even with the most thorough process -- looks strangely drawn-out to the rest of us.

It seems like one hears about these cases and months or even a year or more later, they're finally getting somewhere. That's thousands of man-hours at 40 hours per week per person. It's hard to conceive of what could take that long.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  19. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

Shooting from the position he was in close to the other officer is the part that doesnt make sense to me....I can see discharging a weapon like this in an extreme life and death situation, like she pulled out a knife and was coming at the car...

zzclancy likes this.