GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Horselover Fat
32,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lancaster protesters held on whopping $1 million bail each after alleged riots

A Pennsylvania judge threw the book at several protesterssetting their bail at $1 million each – for allegedly rioting in the wake of the police shooting of a knife-wielding Lancaster man.

Lancaster police nabbed a dozen people and one juvenile for staging the riots around 3 a.m. Monday in clashes that culminated in police deploying tear gas at the crowd....

https://nypost.com/2020/09/15/lancaster-protesters-held-on-1-million-bail-after-alleged-riots/

·
What did I come in here for?
10,945 Posts
More like a wake up call for Pennsylvania rioters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dynactus

·
Registered
30,271 Posts
I seem to remember protection from unreasonable bail, somewhere in the constitution.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I seem to remember protection from unreasonable bail, somewhere in the constitution.
I find nothing unreasonable about such a bail amount for individuals accused of violent felonies like arson and rioting, and who are almost certainly flight risks.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
I would much rather see protection from unreasonable rioters and protesters.

·
Previously achieved fame and glory as Burebista
5,486 Posts
Only 1 million?

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is another item the media never reports. The democrats are posting bail for rioters and looters all over the country. This rioting and looting will escalate. I forgot it is all peaceful correct!?

Reactions: larry_minn

·
Premium Member
24,828 Posts
Let’s see bail is supposed to be based on severity of offense? How likely the suspect is to commit it again, other violent crimes? Intimidate witnesses, ties to community, flee prosecution..... other factors.
So maybe bail needs to be visited. Ones with outstanding arrests (even in other states) over $1 million. Similar crime, but living in community slightly under $1 million, business owner $750 k... but other factors also considered.

·
Man, I'm Pretty
29,973 Posts
A million doesn't go as far as it used to.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Reactions: jcm3 and Agonizer

·
Registered
18,733 Posts
One of the guys that I read about who had been traveling around to trouble spots had jumped bail twice before the last time he was arrested. It's just a cost of doing business for his handlers.
The catch and release system of the George Soros D.A.s in Seattle and Portland has emboldened trouble makers. It's time to up the ante.

·
Registered
18,733 Posts
A million dollars doesn't seem like much. In upscale Palo Alto, their parks were being taken over by Latino party's every weekend. The locals couldn't use the parks and the people in the adjacent neighborhoods were constantly annoyed by people congregating and urinating in their driveways and front yards. The solution was to have people wanting to have a party in their parks put up a million dollar bond to cover any potential damages: problem solved.

·
Registered
15,371 Posts
Let’s see bail is supposed to be based on severity of offense? How likely the suspect is to commit it again, other violent crimes? Intimidate witnesses, ties to community, flee prosecution..... other factors.
So maybe bail needs to be visited. Ones with outstanding arrests (even in other states) over $1 million. Similar crime, but living in community slightly under $1 million, business owner $750 k... but other factors also considered.
Felonies also carry higher bail... and of course states that allow partial bonds to be posted need to have even higher bail amounts, because that $1M could in reality mean only $100k needs to be provided...

·
Premium Member
24,828 Posts
Felonies also carry higher bail... and of course states that allow partial bonds to be posted need to have even higher bail amounts, because that $1M could in reality mean only $100k needs to be provided...
I was talking generalities that I’m familiar with. There are many more factors. Every court, judge likely has different weight to each item. Releasing without bail for people who have zero remorse, plan to commit similar, worse crimes...
The DA, Judge who allow it should be held $$$ responsible.
People who jumped bail in past, zero chance of bail. Those who stated they would do it again. No bail. Those out on bail already... no bail. Those who endangered others fleeing from the Police. No bail.
Failing to inform the Police, walking away before they realize you committed a crime.. that’s one thing. High speed chase, destroying carjacked car, couple squads, injuries to public. And a judge sets bail at $60k??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts