close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just wondering the best to spend my $ on

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by gen4g23, Sep 21, 2011.

1. gen4g23

gen4g23

So I have a gen4 g23 and I am wanting to put a 3.5 connector in it. Also I want to start loading my own ammo. So my question is what do you guys think the best 3.5 connector would be and also does anyone one sell a kit for doing your own ammo. When I say kit I mean I want everything I need to make my own ammo. I want to start out doing .40 S&W but would like to later get into doing loads for my various rifles and shotguns. I am very new to the ammo thing so I am not even sure to what all I would need to start making it. So if anyone would like to post a reply of all the equipment I would need that would be great. Or just a good on line company that sells it all in one package would be good enough. There are so many different connectors out the that it is easy to get lost in them. I have always thought about putting one in but wasnt sure if it would make that big of a difference. But a couple of weeks ago my CC instructor let me shoot his g23 with one in it and now I am 100% sold on it. Any info would be great on these 2 questions . Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply guys, everyone on here has always been very helpful.

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Try the reloading forum for questions on that.

A lot of people have an issue with carrying a piece with a light trigger. Glock doesn't recommend it either.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

3. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

In my opinion Dillon's are the best for reloading.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/customize-reloader.html

4. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

AMEN on the Dillon reloading gear.

5. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Dillons are probably the best, but you pay for it big time! People seem to have good experience with Lee reloading equipment. midway usa sells them for a very good price. You will need a press kit, and the propper die set. Plus a scale, calipers, case tumbler for cleaning, and all the components. I cant think of anything else off the top of my head...

I just bought a Ghost 3.5 connector and a lone wolf distributing ultimate trigger stop. Both Ghost and LWD sell connectors...

6. .50 cal

.50 cal

Get a dillon 550 and order supplies online, read the stickies in the reloading forum

7. RRTX11

RRTX11

reloading forum.....Dillon presses, no questions. Sounds like you need a 550B. I load on my 550 almost daily.

8. gdiddy

gdiddy

Reloading your own ammo can be fun as well as save you money if you intend to shoot a great deal. Complete
    reloading
    kits are available from many manufacturers in various
    configurations
    . The single stage press is going to be the least expensive, but it can load the smallest pistol ammo to the largest magnum rifle cases which makes it a good choice for those that load both rifle and pistol calibers. The turret press would be the next step up in speed because it allows you to set all your dies on the turret and rotate the turret to complete each step of the loading operation. There is also a self indexing turret press that will rotate the turret with each pull of the loading lever. Presses of this type provide increased speed plus the
    convenience
    of rotating the proper die to the ram station rather than changing and resetting dies for each stage of the loading process. The last option and the most expensive is the progressive loader. These are great for the pistol shooter who shoots hundreds of rounds at a range session or a competition shooter because you can load several hundred rounds in an hour. Shotgun loading requires an entirely different set up and equipment than metallic cartridge loading.
    If you have a Cabela's, Gander Mtn., Midway, or other shooting supply catalog. You will find the "kits" offered by several manufacturers shown.
    You Tube also has many reloading videos that will be helpful to you. If there is a gun club near you, there are probably members there who can
    guide you through the loading processes. Good Luck! You are about to make your shooting experience more fun than just firing your guns.​

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  9. JBP55

JBP55

The new LWD connector will give you a trigger pull in the 4 # 8 oz. to 4 # 12 oz. range (Glocks vary) on a typical G4 Glock. This is a good choice if you are considering a - connector.

10. gen4g23

gen4g23

Thanks guy for all your info. I decided to go with the Dillon 550. I will post a pic when it gets here over in the reloading section. I also ordered the LWD connector. I cant wait to get started. I think you are right gdiddy about maaking the shooting exp more fun, that was one of the biggest things that made me want to start doing my own ammo. That and I figure I can make a little miney off of my buddies selling it to them and in turn the will be saving money buying it off me.

11. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

Excellent choice! :cool:

12. kamonjj

kamonjj

I'm actually just getting into reloading myself. I'm buying all the supplies as we speak. Luckily someone I work with already reloads so hes going to help me along the way. Dillon presses are really nice, so are RCBS, Lyman, and hornady. After speaking with tons of reloaders dillon is an overwhelming majority of users. I'm actually going with a Lee classic turret press though. It came highly recommended and if I get into it, love it, and want to do more, I'll be getting a dillon somewhere down the line, perhaps income tax time. They say a press is a lifetime investment. I just want to crawl before I walk about a small 200 dollar investment to get my feet wet isn't serious. I figure with the lee kit (212.00) plus some other misc things, scale, calipers, tumber, I'll be into it for around 400 (less than the price of the dillon press alone).

They say get a few reloading books and read them a couple times. I have a lyman on the way. I wish it was here already. I'm not sure which I'm going to get in addition to that, yet but I could keep you updated.

Its kinda important to see if you can powder and primers locally for a good price because paying hazmat fees for shipping those can be expensive and could potentially offset the cost of your load so much that its not worth it to reload depending on your needs. However, if you need custom hand loads then it wouldn't matter that much to you I assume.

13. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

awesome choice....

Can't go wrong with a Dillon.
    I was going to get that, but decided on the 650xl.

oh and BTW, it's not really LEGAL to sell ammo without a license....ya know, liability and stuff wise.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011