Just when you think people can't get any dumber . .

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by SPDSNYPR, Dec 31, 2009.

1. collim1

collim1

I had a guy drop a gun about 1/10004th of a second before i pulled the trigger once. Very Hard to not pull the trigger once you have decided it is necessary. He is lucky to be alive.

I am glad you and your partner made out okay.

2. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

:needspics:

3. Evela

Evela

Castle doctrine. Actually all parties concerned acted pretty dumbly - but legally - in this farce.

4. apache64

apache64

Had a similar instance years ago. Although it was about drunken idiots shooting at 0200 at random into a state park. 1 was in custody. The other guys were in a house a few houses away. Sneaky approach and observe. We could see the clowns through a window. They were watching WWF on TV. We loudly announce ourselves and order them to exit. One FG genius put a shoulder holster with his best 9mm on to come out. We saw this. While his friends were proned out, he came out the door last and my 870 found a real nice place against the back of his head.

They enjoyed their justice system education.

5. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

Can you clarify this statement for us please? It almost sounds like you feel that the OP/responding officer and his partner did something "pretty dumbly". Please tell me you don't believe that is the case.

SPDSNYPR: good job buddy, glad you at least had the presence of mind to do SOMTHING and not just freeze in the fatal funnel. Sometimes the only way to go is forward into your threat and hope that violence of action throws his plans out the window, but you already know this. I just like to state the obvious sometimes.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  6. matt86

matt86 Oink Oink

Sounds like you handled it well. That guy's lucky he's not dead.

7. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Well I've had a few days to get un-pissy. And it didn't work.

First, thanks for all the well wishes. Second, I want to say that this wasn't in any way a traumatic event. I think I get more traumatized when someone cracks ass bad in briefing.

This just pisses me off.

I think the thing that pissed me off the most about this sort of scenario is that repeated exposure to this type of event will cause officers to hesitate when the door opens and it's a real ambush. When living or dying is measured in small fractions of a second, you have to be able to respond appropriately immediately. This sort of exposure undoes training and mental preperation for the when/then scenario of a spontaneous exposure to a deadly threat on a routine call. We train officers to look at the hands, and if the appropriate threat is there (a gun), you respond in a certain manner to immediately eliminate the threat. Waiting until the gun is pointed at you or is being fired is too late. But while shooting this guy would have been entirely defensible, in hindsight it would have been an officer shooting and possible killing a homeowner who just did something stupid and was not engaged in a criminal assault.

What saved him was his ability to throw down his pistol faster than I was able to end my OODA loop (observe, orient, decide, and act). I was in the middle of my 'act' (bring my gun to bear on him) when he tossed it. Luckily, I was still focused enough on the threat to notice and interrupt the act of shooting which I have practiced so many times.

But now, I have to go back and reenforce my training and not let the "what if" questions leak into my brain. Still make it stimulus/response.

Now I'm old enough and experienced enough that this should not be particularly difficult. I've had to pull the trigger a few times to keep my body puncture-free. So I know what I can and can't do. But there are an awful lot of cops who still go about their shift wondering, and this sort of exposure can be devestating by interupting their thought process on the next encounter. And since I have a hand at helping train those officers, I don't want dumb-****s like this resident throwing a wrench into the gears of my machines. This particular strain of dumbass who brings a gun into play with no reason not only risks his own life, those of others around him, but he has an effect on the good guys, and helps train them to doubt their resolve and actions. Guys like this get cops killed in my opinion. And there is no reason in the world for him to do what he did.

So I plan to remain pissed off at this ******bag and all others like him. I hope you will to.

glock1097 likes this.
  8. opelwasp

opelwasp ZOG/MORON LUBE

Was that the butt, or the barrel? Justified either way.

9. RedTape

RedTape

If I saw you knocking on my door I'd probably get a gun too. You're scary as hell! j/k :rofl:

But seriously, the stupidity of people still amazes me. It's like they're in a contest and you guys are the judges.

10. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

:whistling:
    Imagine if you had a bayonet!:whistling:

11. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Glad you're both whole.

The guy is just an example of what we see here every day in GNG, CT, CL, and CI.

People view the world through their own eyes (all people do it).

They know "I'm not a bad guy", and so unconsciously project that others too, know/accept this.

That is why they are so insulted when "treated like a criminal", EX: standard Officer safety or arrest procedures.

JMHO

glock1097 and ranger1968 like this.
  12. lwt210

lwt210

After all these years, I knock on doors with my left hand in my pocket......

.....with my fingers wrapped around the butt of my Smith 442. I have become lightning quick with that and have had to whip it out just this week on a suicide attempt call when the guy came to the door spraying blood and holding a knife in the other hand.

And that idiot had the audacity to say "HEY, DON'T SHOOT ME!!!" as he dropped the knife and backed away sloshing around in his own fluids.

I have decided that those precious miliseconds grabbing the duty weapon, snapping off the retention, clearing leather and aquiring a sight picture are better spent just presenting my BUG and firing away.

The guys I work with are all aware of that left pocket of mine. We can be standing around in a store and when they see me stick that hand in that pocket, they will all turn their heads to see who is coming in the door. lol

13. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

We had that happen once on a possible prowlers call. Wife calls police, we check the exterior and start to knock on the door and through the windows I see the husband come barrel-assing down the stairs holding a gun.

What a concept. Call the cops and then grab a gun when they get there. Smart.

14. GPalmer

GPalmer CLM

Well stated, that's exactly where I was going with my earlier post.

15. texmex

texmex

He is lucky some rookie who is really nervous did not answer the call and unload on him the second he saw the gun.

16. NoStress

NoStress

It must be especially stressful in these times to be an officer.

You guys sure deal with some dumb people. Never a good idea to just open the door when someone knocks. If he was worried about the neighbor attacking him it was really stupid to open the door without asking - "Who is it ?".

17. KindOfBlue

KindOfBlue

Glad you made it out ok. Don't think you guys get paid enough for the risks you take.

I wonder if the guy who answered the door felt the police would be impressed that he was protecting himself from the crazy neighbor since he couldn't be sure it really wasn't the neighbor. "If the cops see how scared I was yet restrained enough to call them it might earn me brownie points" Not justifying it or saying it makes sense, but wondering what he might have been thinking. Of course, he could have been on drugs or just nuts :)

18. pgg00

pgg00

Holy thread necromancer.

I do miss the guys that used to post here

steveksux, Ajon412, Dukeboy01 and 2 others like this.
  19. Sniff

Sniff

Over 10 years. Got to be some sort of a record.

Gregoire G likes this.
  20. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member